Strikeforce < UFC so why...

sauser

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Are these top Strikeforce guys getting immediate title shots and getting all of this praise and hype? In my opinion Melendez, Cormier, Rockhold, have all beaten less than great competition. Cormier's last opponent was really really bad. Are people that bored with UFC contenders and is the contender list really that weak for these D-League fighters to jump them?

I think it's because Zuffa owns Strikeforce and are honoring "unification" fights so the Strikeforce fans will get on board. I disagree with Your comment that Melendez, Cormier, & Rockhold have beaten less than great competition. Do your homework, Good Sir.

Last edited:
I would hope Melendez is the only one getting an immediate shot

Champion vs Champion is easy hype

melendez is the only one getting an immediate title shot.

ts is confused

Cormier beat Bigfoot and Barnett in succession. Granted the last fellow he fought wasn't a named fighter, he was still a fighter non-the-less. I'm okay with him getting a shot.

You've got to strike when the iron is hot.

The best time to do these is right away.

Yeah easy is the keyword there. Maybe cheapened hype. I just think UFC needs to hype Gus, Gunnar, Rory(getting a lot now), other young up and comers more. Gus is under valued big time...and you don't hear anything about him lately. I think Melendez is worth the hype but not sure he's this unstoppable guy.

WEC<UFC and those guys made a ton of noise. Maybe now the UFC is giving other top guys from other orgs respect because of the WEC.

I don't even need to see the fights to know the outcomes of any potential UFC vs Strikeforce title fights:

GSP vs Saffiedine = GSP UD, easy.
Melendez vs Henderson = Bendo UD, easy.
Rockhold vs Silva = Silva TKO, easy.
Cormier vs Velasques = Cormier to LHW to not fight Velasquez, easy.

where was Hendo's immediate title shot?
where was Overeem's immediate title shot?
where was Nick's immediate title shot?
where was Shield's immediate title shot?
where was Cormier's immediate title shot?
where was Saffiedine's immediate title shot?
where was Rockhold's immediate title shot?

who else am I missing?

Gil has had a legitimate claim to being a top-3 lightweight for a couple years now.

He hasn't looked great against Masvidal or Thomson lately, but before that a lot of people considered him the best lightweight in the world.

Pettis and Cerrone, even with a win, are less deserving.

Easy hype and high marketable WHILE many only one opportunity for doing it.

Jake Shields came over from Strikeforce and nearly lost his first fight at WW in the UFC.

Lombard came over ... and lost.

A fight like Melendez vs Henderson might sell a lot right now but if Melendez takes on say Jim Millar and either barely wins or worst ... loses ... it is a blown opportunity for the UFC to have a big fight fans wanted to see.

People need to remember that UFC is in the business of making money .. while it is not fake scripted stuff like WWE ... they do have the power thru match making to try to get the results they want.

Hence why we have Sonnen vs Jones coming up.

where was Hendo's immediate title shot?
where was Overeem's immediate title shot?
where was Nick's immediate title shot?
where was Shield's immediate title shot?
where was Cormier's immediate title shot?
where was Saffiedine's immediate title shot?
where was Rockhold's immediate title shot?

who else am I missing?

Hendo did get an immediate title shot you goof. Nick was going to have one as well and he fucked that up.

Hendo did get an immediate title shot you goof. Nick was going to have one as well and he fucked that up.

not coming from strikeforce you goof.

he beat sobral, feijao, and fedor before coming back to the UFC and they matched him up with shogun instead and now machida.

WEC<UFC and those guys made a ton of noise. Maybe now the UFC is giving other top guys from other orgs respect because of the WEC.

The WEC was under-rated. A lot of SF fighters may be as well. I for one am excited to see how Cormier and Melendez fare.

not coming from strikeforce you goof.

he beat sobral, feijao, and fedor before coming back to the UFC and they matched him up with shogun instead and now machida.

when he came over from pride he got shots against Rampage and then Silva.

Are these top Strikeforce guys getting immediate title shots and getting all of this praise and hype? In my opinion Melendez, Cormier, Rockhold, have all beaten less than great competition. Cormier's last opponent was really really bad. Are people that bored with UFC contenders and is the contender list really that weak for these D-League fighters to jump them?

All the chumps whined and said same thing about WEC....how did that deduction pan out? Melendez gets shot based on who he is and what he has done....Cormier is fighting Mir...Rockhold will not get shot right away...why the tears?

Melendez is the only guy getting an immediate shot. He's held the SF belt long enough to validate that move.

Back