Strict Overhead Press - weak off the shoulders

I don't think there is much of a debate, just a couple different camps with different ways thought. No one ever said that is a bad thing.

I know its not a bad thing, its a good thing. I think a debate/discussion between EZA and Rippetoe on pressing would teach all of us a hell of a lot. We would be able to take into consideration each of their philosophies on the matter and then make our own decisions.

I can touch mine. I are the pimp.

EZA, I know that you're a smart dude. Want to armwrestle?

Screw touch... I can grip my wrists in that position, wanna make out?

I know its not a bad thing, its a good thing. I think a debate/discussion between EZA and Rippetoe on pressing would teach all of us a hell of a lot. We would be able to take into consideration each of their philosophies on the matter and then make our own decisions.

Again, there isn't much to debate, its' to camps ways of thinking. You can take it into consideration by reading both of them now. Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics.

I suddenly have less respect for EZA from that stupid statement

Again, there isn't much to debate, its' to camps ways of thinking.

This thread obviously proves that there is a debate since it has been going on for 11 pages now. I dont want to argue with you about the meaning of "deabte". My point is having two respected, knowledgable, coaches with differing views on OHP on this thread would be beneficial to all of us. Many of us here learned much of what we know from Rippetoe so I think many of us would be interested in hearing what he has to say about EZAs opinion on OHP. I know what Rippetoe says about OHP, however comments like "The overhead press shoves the humeral head up into the glenoid fossa" are over my head and I would like to know what Rippetoe thinks about this since he has probably responded to similar statements before and continues to advocate the use of heavy OHPing anyways. I would like to know his reasons as to why.

As a self procalimed coach yourself, I would think you would welcome additional input from more respected strength coaches on this thread. Anyway im done arguing with someone who doesnt think the addition of another knowledable coaches opinion would add anything to this thread.

This is a throwback to the James Smith days. HE didn't like the OHP for athletes either.

This is a throwback to the James Smith days. HE didn't like the OHP for athletes either.

It is one of my favorite lifts but my wrists are tight/sore from boxing and OHP can kill them sometimes. If I was activley boxing right now I dont know if I would be able to go heavy with them too often. I can for sure see why some coaches wouldnt like them for certain sports. Im hoping adding in grip work again will help fix my pussy wrists. That or learning to throw a hook and acctually hit the bag corectly?

It is one of my favorite lifts but my wrists are tight/sore from boxing and OHP can kill them sometimes. If I was activley boxing right now I dont know if I would be able to go heavy with them too often. I can for sure see why some coaches wouldnt like them for certain sports. Im hoping adding in grip work again will help fix my pussy wrists. That or learning to throw a hook and acctually hit the bag corectly?

What helped me with boxing was working the heavy bag with just bag gloves and no wraps. That helped my wrists alot.

What helped me with boxing was working the heavy bag with just bag gloves and no wraps. That helped my wrists alot.

Really or sarcastic? I started taping my wrists up and it helped but the damage had already been done. I didnt take care of them though which is what caused the real problem. No stretching or iceing them and a long layoff made them way worse.

Really or sarcastic? I started taping my wrists up and it helped but the damage had already been done. I didnt take care of them though which is what caused the real problem. No stretching or iceing them and a long layoff made them way worse.

Really, I'm serious. I had a heavy bag at home so I did that outside of the gym. I even used to go bareknuckle on it a few times but I kept losing skin so I just used the bag gloves, still without the wraps. It helped with my wrists.

cody do levering in your supplemental workouts to strengthen your wrists. I am not a fighter but I had wrist injuries/problems from various fuck ups and that is one of the things that helped considerably. Start doing a couple sets of 15-25 reps doing various levering exercises....you can go to last good rep on these exercises and make sure you have solid control of the weight/load....

cissus + vitamin are two good supplements to speed up healing as well...

Thanks DEVILsSON I was thinking the same thing about levering. The pain/lack of mobility is mainly on the Ulner side so I think levering will help. Thinking i can go down to Home Depot and whip some kind of a tool up pretty quick. I take Mega Men Green but never heard of Cissus. Any particular brand you recommend? I need to get on it because OHP is starting to feel better but when I catch during power cleans it really jacks shit up. Had to remove them all together for now.

DevilsSon's a cop. He has to have strong wrists to take down teh perps.

Yeah, after he was involved in this incident he decided he needed to improvs his grip strength...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-KMwSOIlwPM&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-KMwSOIlwPM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Merill not yet....tho hopefully by years end...

I like to get powder form of cissus from www.customnutritionwarehouse.com although I am not sure if they still have it...Bulk Nutrition - Retail Nutritional Supplements, Bodybuilding and Fitness Articles, and Bulk Specialty Powders! also has some...
CheapVitamins.com | 1Fast400 Cissus Quadrangularis (500 grams)

there are other capsule cissus supps like super cissus rx

1Fast400 - Nutritional supplements for health, athletics, diet, and bodybuilding, with free fitness information and articles

Also while you're training your wrists, I would wrap them thoroughly during lifting and apply light compressions based wraps during the night to speed up healing.

Yeah, after he was involved in this incident he decided he needed to improvs his grip strength...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-KMwSOIlwPM&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-KMwSOIlwPM&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This video pisses me off. This is the shit that cops deal with all the time. Anderson Cooper says that the girl was in violation of curfew. The officer was trying to place her in cuffs and she resisted. Resisting arrest means that the officer is supposed to step up the use of force a notch to get the person to comply. The police officer reacted to her biting him. In the video it looks to me like he used pepper spray as a last resort. He will no doubt receive some kind of counseling for his "abuse."

This thread obviously proves that there is a debate since it has been going on for 11 pages now. I dont want to argue with you about the meaning of "deabte". My point is having two respected, knowledgable, coaches with differing views on OHP on this thread would be beneficial to all of us. Many of us here learned much of what we know from Rippetoe so I think many of us would be interested in hearing what he has to say about EZAs opinion on OHP. I know what Rippetoe says about OHP, however comments like "The overhead press shoves the humeral head up into the glenoid fossa" are over my head and I would like to know what Rippetoe thinks about this since he has probably responded to similar statements before and continues to advocate the use of heavy OHPing anyways. I would like to know his reasons as to why.

As a self procalimed coach yourself, I would think you would welcome additional input from more respected strength coaches on this thread. Anyway im done arguing with someone who doesnt think the addition of another knowledable coaches opinion would add anything to this thread.

More respected? I'm not a strength Coach. Not self proclaimed either,c come in my gym and ask around dude. I am a nutrition coach, who happens to do strength as well. I think it would add to the thread, I also don't think it will happen. Also if you weren't such a punk about it I would ask mark and some others over. Point is, EZA is talking about injury prevention more so than strength carry over, but I guess you missed that boat.

Boy,do I feel silly.

All this time, I thought EZA died of AIDS back in the 90's.

Eazy_E.jpg

Hahahaha, no that's Eazy E man, you are thinking of GZA and and brother from wu tang clan

Back