Strickland is a potent version of the Diazes

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
Seriously the similarity is very apparent. Pressure boxing and BJJ with very good cardio. Except that Stickland is methodical, crisper and packs decent stopping power. He also has an elaborate parrying system and some hand trapping and good head movement. He also has some ability to take the fight to the ground. Lastly, he is coordinated, has good balance and is physically rather strong.

I see him getting taken down at will by the guys above him in rank. His defense was good because Hall made no adjustment. Or couldn’t.

Hes skilled and a threat to izzy no doubt after that washout

Hes skilled and a threat to izzy no doubt after that washout
really? Izzy destroyed Paulo Costa who stopped Hall using the same streategy has Strickland but better

he is closer to the Diaz in therms of IQ, I guess

He doesn't put combos together or work the body like the Diaz bros. His BJJ is actually pretty damn good, but not Diaz level ... and none of the 3 really use it regularly lol.

I am kinda embarassed that I did not know who Strickland was until the recent "sparring" session video. I have watched every UFC event in the last few years and do not recall anything about Strickland. Is he the best fighter no one knows about?

I am kinda embarassed that I did not know who Strickland was until the recent "sparring" session video. I have watched every UFC event in the last few years and do not recall anything about Strickland. Is he the best fighter no one knows about?

I thought he was the guy that knocked the little drunk bloke out at the bar.

He doesn't put combos together or work the body like the Diaz bros. His BJJ is actually pretty damn good, but not Diaz level ... and none of the 3 really use it regularly lol.
Very true on the body. Maybe it's a trade off because he also doesn't get hit as much and attacking the body opens your face.

Never seen him before now. Not sure how far he can go but I like his style. That jab is already terrific. I'd like to see him mix in some more low kicks, maybe some Dutch style combos.

Last edited:
I see him getting taken down at will by the guys above him in rank. His defense was good because Hall made no adjustment. Or couldn’t.
Just like the Diazes, worse TDD in the game.

I also noticed Strickland using a kind of Philly shell defence. I have not seen many MMA guys use that type of defense, interesting to see.

Just like the Diazes, worse TDD in the game.

I also noticed Strickland using a kind of Philly shell defence. I have not seen many MMA guys use that type of defense, interesting to see.
Very true. And it seems to work for him.

Back