Stretching tor Flexibility (For Dummies)

Sonny said:
EEG just a quick question. I've read some stuff before that relates ballistic stretching to dynamic stretching basically calling them the same thing but after reading your posts and the links provided, they're actually not the same are they? I've been doing what I thought was dynamic stretching doing leg kicks in the morning but I've been doing them in a more swinging/ballistic nature, I'm gonna start doing them in a more controlled manner (lifting the leg rather than swinging it), but should I continue doing at least SOME ballistic type stretching movements?

Ok it's pretty much like this:

Ballistic = swinging without any control

Dynamic = keeping full control of your body during the stretch

And you seem to understand the difference by saying "Lifting the leg". Never do ballistic stretches. You can do serious damage that way. Always remain in control of the motion.

Sean S said:
And you seem to understand the difference by saying "Lifting the leg". Never do ballistic stretches. You can do serious damage that way. Always remain in control of the motion.

That's all I needed to know, thanks bud!!

Sonny said:
EEG just a quick question. I've read some stuff before that relates ballistic stretching to dynamic stretching basically calling them the same thing but after reading your posts and the links provided, they're actually not the same are they? I've been doing what I thought was dynamic stretching doing leg kicks in the morning but I've been doing them in a more swinging/ballistic nature, I'm gonna start doing them in a more controlled manner (lifting the leg rather than swinging it), but should I continue doing at least SOME ballistic type stretching movements?
Sean basically answered, but just to clarify.

Flexibility is an issue of muscle contraction. If muscles don't contract, you can stretch them very far, splits, and maybe even beyond. When muscles contract, they resist and are not flexible.

Dynamic stretches are done quickly, get you to that point where your muscles tighten, but no further.

Ballistic stretches go all the way to the muscle contraction and beyond. Ballistic stretching, for example, is when people go into a splits position and then start bouncing. As your muscles resist the stretch, your ligaments get hammered. Very bad.

If you've been doing it for a while without injury, you're probably doing them fine. Just remember, the point is to gradually teach your muscles to relax, not push them to full contractions and then try to force them further (which happens when you swing powerfully and without control). Thinking about "lifting" or "raising" helps. They are still done fast, but not violently, trying to break through a sticking point. If you do them with control, the legs will relax naturally after a couple of sets, and go higher. This is the goal.

A very useful trick is to put a hand in front of you and then hit it when you raise your leg. The hand serves as "safety", and tells your CNS to relax, as you know that the hand will stop the leg. This means that the body won't "panic" as easily and won't get tense. Then you slowly increase the height of the hand as you get looser.

I have troubles with my hips when I squat.

You should probably stop squatting then. Just stick to the leg press from here on out.

HULKAMANIA said:
You should probably stop squatting then. Just stick to the leg press from here on out.
:icon_cry2

Sean S said:
Eh I would stay away from any flexibily book written by any traditional martial artist. Usually a lot of them are based on stuff passed down without any scientific proof.

That was my sentiment, but the reviews for the book were excellent, and the reviewers (at the various online bookstores), who all seemed to have a better knowledge of stretching theory than myself, said it was well-rounded and explained theory well but also covered practical routines and stretches.

If you go to Amazon, you can at least check out the table of contents. Just click the link that same "Read more..." or whatever. You can read the first 25 pages of most books in PDF at Amazon.

Back