Stressing and worrying about your tournament record

i only get nervous if I don't think i've been training hard. when i was doing bjj 3x a week and judo 2x a week nothing really phased me. be confident in your training and everything will be fine.

Me too :icon_chee

haha me 3 but the guy didn't finish it(I stacked) and I ended up passing his guard later and won on points.

I wouldn't worry about your record. No one likes losing but it will help you learn. Remember that you are competing against yourself.

Should have mentioned this before: A lot of tournaments have pre-reg. now. Best way to overcome the fear is to sign up once it becomes available. That should be a month out, so you won't be super nervous, and you will commit yourself to competing.

I keep track of it as I have set a goal of having 100 matches and seeing how I do from it.

But it really doesn't matter. Any match beneath black belt level is a training match IMO. It's only at black that the sport really begins.

And the best way to cure nerves is to compete alot.

I have done around 115 tournaments. I've pretty much done it all when it comes to competing. everyone losses. I've schooled alot of people and I've been schooled. I've been tapped, and I've also lost by 13 points before. Shit happens but it will only make you better as a competitor.

Fuck I've even attempted a flying triangle and KO'd myself

I have done around 115 tournaments.

How many tournaments do you attend in a year? I am trying to hit around 20 or so this year and it is going to be tough unless I am willing to keep making drives over 4 hours.

I'm 2-3 as an orangle belt. I stopped caring

Here's a question (not to get off topic) I was at a tourney where I was up on points, but, went for submission, lost it and ended up getting submitted myself. What do you guys do? Go for submission or points? I've always been taught to finish it, but, am just curious what others do.

Here's a question (not to get off topic) I was at a tourney where I was up on points, but, went for submission, lost it and ended up getting submitted myself. What do you guys do? Go for submission or points? I've always been taught to finish it, but, am just curious what others do.

I always go for the finish... if you are this way also you should do submission only competitions they are fun.

I always go for the win. If that means stalling when I am up by an advantage, that is what I do. Heck I have even rode out the clock in a dominant position in order to save energy for my next match. Strategy is a part of any competition and sometimes the best strategy is to not go for the finish.

How many tournaments do you attend in a year? I am trying to hit around 20 or so this year and it is going to be tough unless I am willing to keep making drives over 4 hours.

4 hours is almost a minimum drive for me to attend tournaments.

Thanks for all the support and motivation guys. It makes sense, I guess I have a really fragile ego. I don't want to lose, especially if it is in front of my peers and coach.

As long as I am not the only one feeling this way and my opponent has similar feelings, I can start to compete regularly. Thanks again guys.

I am probably one of the sorest losers on the board, and if you had happened to watch me lose at Pan Ams and Mundials this year, than you would have seen me burst into tears. If you hate losing for a vain reason, like how your record (that no one gives a shit about) looks, that is the characteristic of a pussy. If you hate losing because you know you have it in you to do better than you did, that is the characteristic of a future champion. The most important thing my coach ever told me, that stuck out in my head more than ANYTHING, was, "it has to matter."

Back