1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Stressing and worrying about your tournament record

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Anac0nda, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Anac0nda

Anac0nda White Belt

Everytime I have a tournament coming, I am excited and want to test out my skills. When a tournament is around a week away, I stress and usually not compete, for the fear of losing or worst, being humiliated.

I have competed a few times at white belt before but the stresses are still there. I just don't like losing. I don't like having a bad record. I don't like to lose or be humiliated in front of my instructor, friends, and/or training partners.

Does this get better over time? I know it will but does it really? If so, how many tournaments have you competed before it was just a normal thing?

Thank you.

2. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I would think everyone is a little nervous before competition of any sort. Tyson said he was nervous before most of his fights.

The only thing is getting over nerves once the match starts. Your first match, you might be super nervous and gas early, do something out of your game plan, make stupid mistakes etc. My first match I made a stupid mistake, but realized and recovered instantly. Not so bad. Wasn't nervous at all the day of, but the week leading up to it, I was halfway insane.

3. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

I don't compete, but honestly - does your record matter at all in grappling?

I always had the impression that the only thing that really mattered was what you had won and who you had managed to beat. Not how many times you had lost.

Is this about your grappling "career" or just a fragile ego?

4. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I think that as a white belt tournament records shouldn't mean shit. Your out there to make mistakes and learn from them.

5. korleone1911

korleone1911 Blue Belt

well... I noticed that before my first tournament, I was a big bag of nerves before I had my first match, but then when I actually got on the mat and started... the fight was pretty easy and I knew then, that my training was paying off. so, trust your training and know that your coach knows best and listen to them and you'll be fine. Now, all the nerves are usually gone (I'm a white belt too and have competed in 3 tournaments all this year and have done well) because I trust my training and preparation and have faith in my coaches! A couple have been world champion so I think they know what they're talking about.

6. GBDaz

GBDaz Blue Belt

listen to felipe costa on fightworks podcast helps a lot to understand the mentallity, best bet is to compete more often.

7. silvasurfer5253

silvasurfer5253 Purple Belt

You'll only overcome this by competing. By choosing not to compete, you are building up this event in your head, and feeding into your anxeity. It's normal to be nervous before any competition. As long as you don't quit on the mat, there's no shame in losing. Every loss it an oppurtunity to build and improve. As long as you leave your heart out there and give your best, your teammates and coach are going to have nothing but respect for you. Competition is fun! You could end up doing really well. Best of luck! Let us know how the next competition goes

8. Lutador011

Lutador011 Blue Belt

Bad record > no record

Wining Mundials once > any record (nobody will give a shit if you lost 10.000 times if you win a major tourney)

9. Jdonw

Jdonw Green Belt

Embarrassing beat downs are very motivating. At the Arnold's this year I was thoroughly dominated in 3 of 4 matches. It was embarrassing, but it motivated me to work harder for the next tournament and it paid off, my bjj has developed more in the last 6 months than it had in the year before that.

I also keep track of my tournament record and I'm pretty much even in wins and losses. I don't keep it to show it off or keep a flawless record of how awesome I am, I just use it to keep track of how things worked out for me in each tournament to see if I need to change anything.

10. gannas

gannas Green Belt

You are really limiting your improvement. If you have this mentality about competing most likely it carries over to your training too. You probably would rather win in a roll at the academy instead of improving even if it means you tap during that roll.

Losing sucks no doubt but you learn a lot too.

11. WitchCraft

WitchCraft Blue Belt

What I would have said, good post :icon_chee

12. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

I love jitters and nerves, makes it fun - after that first jump it's all downhill.

I've made a goal of competing in some sort of grappling tournament once I reach my 6 month mark in training.

13. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

You got to check your ego. You can't be successful unless you subject yourself to testing. It really doesn't matter if you win or lose if your goal is just to get better. In fact, for improvement purposes, losing is usually more educational. No one likes to lose, but you can't let that stop you from competing.

14. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Exactly!

15. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

I think the only option is to take your life before the dishonor of a loss. If youre curious about a particular method to dispatch yourself, the samurai used long knives...

16. minimagpro

minimagpro Purple Belt

I have a losing tournament record. I still had a blast at both tournaments and it does suck losing, but you can't expect to win every fight.

Shit, in my first blue belt tournament I got flying armbarred.

17. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

I don't keep track, but I think I have a losing tournament record. It sure feels like it. I've competed at every belt, sucked up the bad times and kept going. Now at purple, it's all coming together.
    Stick with it.

18. haji

haji White Belt

yeah just do it. it will make you nervous as hell but thats just part of it. its a good time.

you might surprise yourself and win a bunch of matches. its a great feeling. i wouldn't worry about your record. everybody loses matches sometimes so nobody should give you shit about it.

in my experience the guys at tournaments are all pretty friendly. nobody is out there to kill anybody - they all just want to compete. its like rolling at practice but the pace is much faster.

19. chino3

chino3 Purple Belt

My coach is REALLY into having us compete, but only as a means to test yourself and most importantly HAVE FUN! I competed for the first time at Worlds this year. I was a wreck. I cut 17lbs in 3 weeks (baaaaaad news...), anyways, I won my first match and then bombed my second match. The problem was, I was exhausted from the cut, and also a bag of nerves. I didnt want to let my coach down nor let myself down.

I competed again last week, and my coach just kept drilling in me to have fun. He gave us all a speach before hand about how no one remembers who won or lost last years "insert event" you only need to focus on the now.

Despite having my family there, and really wanting to shine for my coach and myself, before stepping on the mat he slapped my chest and said "HAVE FUN! IM SERIOUS!"
    went out, shook hands, finished my first two fights in 30 seconds, and lost my last one on points... but I had fun! even the one I lost!

I got silver for that comp, and I can look at that in one of two ways. 1) I was the 1st place loser, or 2) I had fun and learned a lot.

Guess which one helped me sleep and continue training :)

20. aunshi189

aunshi189 Purple Belt Platinum Member

0-2 But I learned a lot and hope to try again asap.