Stress fractures from grappling....anyone ever get this?

MMAR15

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think I may have a stress fracture in my arm. Although I don't remember getting armbarred very bad recently my upper arm always has a really bad dull ache after rolling.

Last couple of days it's so bad that when I'm driving home I find that I'm driving with one arm and the other is just laying in my lap.....with the upper arm throbbing.

It's not the muscle that aches, and it's in the middle of the upper arm so it's not the tendons/ligaments either.

Anyone ever have this? Guess I'm just going to go easy for two weeks maybe and up my calcium intake.

i would go see a doctor if your really worried about it.

but it happened to me when i first started. i think the main reason is just bad technique... like holding my opponents entire body weight on my arms instead of turning on my side and shrimping.... or pulling like a mad man on someones collar to break them down in my guard instead of using my whole body to pull them in.

i took a week or so off and gradually got back into the swing of things and it hasn't bothered me since.

I've no doubt that it's the result of bad technique and trying to muscle things like you are saying.

I suppose I need to slow it way down and focus on technique.

Yeah dude it is right where the deltoid meets the bicep and tricep. You don't have a stress fracture it is probably the muscle pulled in the middle of the deltoid. I have this problemin my right arm but really doesn't affect me much anymore. Not sure what the exact name should be but just make sure you don't have an AC join injury or shoulder impingement syndrome.

if you have insurance, hit up your doctor for a quick XR.

if not, ice - heat - ibuprofen and a little time off.

One night I got paired up for drills with a dude that weighed over 300 pounds, and I wondered if I'd stressed the bones in my legs from that dude rolling over me over and over again. I bet it's possible to eventually get stress fractures.

I get that all the time in my left arm after a hard day of rolling, usually when I catch myself trying to muscle something when I know better. I drive home with my left arm just sitting in my lap while it throbs. Very annoying!

Anyway, I do not believe it is a fracture. For me, it seems deep in the muscle, and it almost always responds to ice, rest, ibuprofen, and some sort of topical like biofreeze, icy hot, rubbing alcohol, aspercreme, etc. Mine usually dissipates within a day or two, though sometimes I re-aggravate it depending on how frequently I roll. If it lasts more than a week (and doesn't respond to the above, particularly rest), it may be worth seeing your doctor.

I had this very often for my first two or so years. Funny enough, I forgot all about it until reading this. I have no medical knowledge on this but in my experience I would say that it will probably go away both as your technique improves and as your body adapts to the different stresses that it is being put under. Could be one, the other, or a combination of both, but it will probably go away in time.

Back