strengthening your lungs

cough *bullshit* only if you don't know how to swim so you freak out and kill yourself in the first five minutes.

swimmers cannot mantain a high enough heart rate/oxygen intake in npractice so they get told to do out of the water cardio .

I swam, I was very, very good. Your lungs don't get used to full capacity swimming unless your all but drowning. So yeah if you can run 10 50s in the water at 45 seconds coming in at 22 seconds it will burn your lungs nice and proper. been there done that. die so bad tenth one your at 28. You can do the same running. Also the extra support in the water does not carry over to out of water exercises so you have weak points in the muscles around your lungs.

Fartlek is way way better to teach yourself not to gas. Why, cause its in a full gravity based environment working above the capacity you'll fight at not below.

Now if you want to change the way your body uses air, ok go swimming but not many people can just pop in the pool and swim 10X500 off the bat and thats the type of practicing you would need to do.

since when would you need to do 5,000yds to build lung strength? if you were SO good at swimming then I would have thought you would know about doing hypoxic sets which are great for developing lung strength. What do I know though... I'm just a humble triathlete.

cough *bullshit* only if you don't know how to swim so you freak out and kill yourself in the first five minutes.

swimmers cannot mantain a high enough heart rate/oxygen intake in npractice so they get told to do out of the water cardio .

I swam, I was very, very good. Your lungs don't get used to full capacity swimming unless your all but drowning. So yeah if you can run 10 50s in the water at 45 seconds coming in at 22 seconds it will burn your lungs nice and proper. been there done that. die so bad tenth one your at 28. You can do the same running. Also the extra support in the water does not carry over to out of water exercises so you have weak points in the muscles around your lungs.

Fartlek is way way better to teach yourself not to gas. Why, cause its in a full gravity based environment working above the capacity you'll fight at not below.

Now if you want to change the way your body uses air, ok go swimming but not many people can just pop in the pool and swim 10X500 off the bat and thats the type of practicing you would need to do.

lol_que.jpg

When I was younger and was a swimmer, through nothing more then swimming I was about to run cc 4 milers in under 28 minutes and I was able to swim 100m (in a 25m pool, so yeah, underwater turns) breast stroke underwater.

That said, it took a while to get to that point and quite a bit of volume (but then again I was asthmatic when younger, which is why I started swimming).

since when would you need to do 5,000yds to build lung strength? if you were SO good at swimming then I would have thought you would know about doing hypoxic sets which are great for developing lung strength. What do I know though... I'm just a humble triathlete.
hypoxic sets are great for developing lung control and teaching you how to do things. not really sure they are good at developing lung strength. I did a lot of stuff like that seeing as I don't breathe when I race. I swam the 50. and yeah 3-5-7-9 practices (in college 5-7-5-9) maybe they helped a bit but you can't do a whole workout like that, if your going to jump in 20 minutes and do that maybe theirs a small benefit (unsure if there is or not) it was the same theory as using a snorkel. maybe its a benenfit (I think there is but its very small) but again can't do a whole workout like that, its not really feasible. and certain muscles won't get enough work due to lack of gravity. so again it CAN"T be the sole or even primary form of working out for his lungs.

Good to throw in? Sure, but swimming isn't "the answer" by any stretch of the imagination.

random curiousity as to a tri-athlete putting this forth made me very curious, as it generally isn't a long distance athletes thing. so I did a lot of research this is what the propensity of new data says...... basically it makes you a better swimmer but doesn't do the matabolic changes most think it does. but I agree they do stress your lungs but its a different stress than running, you could do this runninng if you so chose I suppose Swimming and Breath Control - Does Breathing Every 3-5-7-9 Make You a Faster Swimmer?

I am a swimmer and cyclist. At the suggestion of my swim coach, next week, one of my teammates and I are starting an extra workout program to increase our lung capacity. Running with a snorkel. Its made a huge difference in my lung capacity and cardio.

random curiousity as to a tri-athlete putting this forth made me very curious, as it generally isn't a long distance athletes thing. so I did a lot of research this is what the propensity of new data says...... basically it makes you a better swimmer but doesn't do the matabolic changes most think it does. but I agree they do stress your lungs but its a different stress than running, you could do this runninng if you so chose I suppose Swimming and Breath Control - Does Breathing Every 3-5-7-9 Make You a Faster Swimmer?

Yeah I don't do hypoxic sets at all. Nor was I saying that it should be the sole purpose of his swim workout to strengthen lungs. I was simply providing an example of a lung specific swim workout in an effort to show that swimming CAN DEFINITELY be an answer to the question of gaining lung strength.

Yeah I don't do hypoxic sets at all. Nor was I saying that it should be the sole purpose of his swim workout to strengthen lungs. I was simply providing an example of a lung specific swim workout in an effort to show that swimming CAN DEFINITELY be an answer to the question of gaining lung strength.

And with that I will bow out. With the explanation you are indeed correct.

I am a swimmer and cyclist. At the suggestion of my swim coach, next week, one of my teammates and I are starting an extra workout program to increase our lung capacity. Running with a snorkel. Its made a huge difference in my lung capacity and cardio.

You are starting this workout next week, and yet it's already made a huge difference in your lung capacity and cardio? TS, here's your answer. Just start thinking about running with a snorkel.

this is a pretty informative thread for the most part.

i've never tried running with a snorkel, can someone explain how this would benefit increasing lung capacity? is it the resistance/bottlenecking of air that trains the lungs to pull in air harder? <---i think i just answered my question. ?

i'm at a point in my cardio where i run around 30 minutes straight without any issues at a good speed with my heart rate at a good high rate. but at times, i feel a shortness of breath, in the sense that i am not able to pull in a good amount of air as i like while breathing and want to get rid of this feeling. anyone else feel this or have any suggestions, besides to just keep running hard?

You are starting this workout next week, and yet it's already made a huge difference in your lung capacity and cardio? TS, here's your answer. Just start thinking about running with a snorkel.

Generally when people ask me about workout snorkels I say finis. good brand not sure how well it works running and with it splitting your vision (goes up in front of your nose so doesn't get pulled off when swimming fast) You adapt to the odd way of seeing pretty fast.

Any kind of cardio will help you with running. Nothing more than running though. Run long, run short fast sprints, run backwards, just run. Also learn to control your breathing.

dont run with a snorkel. you have to learn to breathe through your nose. unless you want your jaw knocked off your face you have to keep your mouth closed.

also swimming is gay. run like you were designed to.

dont run with a snorkel. you have to learn to breathe through your nose. unless you want your jaw knocked off your face you have to keep your mouth closed.

also swimming is gay. run like you were designed to.

is that why most everyone at my muay thai gym swam for extra workouts?

I do Forced-Rep Breath Iso-Holds. My lungs are incredibly strong. Basically you put duct tape over your mouth and a clothes-pin over your nose and hold your breath until you pass out, then have a friend or a trained pet remove the tape and pin. Repeat 10 times a day, every other day for several weeks and your lungs will be huge. Organ training is one of the most difficult aspects of strength training. It takes super-saiyan level skills to get good organ strength.

Some people will tell you that smoking inhibits the cardio-vascular system, which in turn will prohibit any athletic activity from being performed at peak levels. But my good friends At Phillip Morris, Smooth Joe Camel, and the Marboro Man, assure me that those people are nerds

Back