strengthening your lungs

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by rockstrongo, Sep 6, 2010.

1. rockstrongo

rockstrongo Yellow Belt

I want to start running faster and longer but i feel like my lungs arent getting any stronger is there any exercises that build your lungs?

2. TrainingAdict

TrainingAdict Orange Belt

Run more.

3. zeping

zeping White Belt

LMAO yeaha thats one way to do it other than that theres the powerbreath tool never used it but appernetly stengthen your lungs expensive as hell though

4. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

LUNGes.

5. War Wagon

War Wagon Blue Belt

6. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

^^^Tis, your poor running stamina has nothing to do with your lungs (unless you have some actual lung problem)

7. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Just keep increasing how much you run. You'll get there.

8. rockstrongo

rockstrongo Yellow Belt

okay...

9. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

Try inhaling really deep and then exhaling as explosively as possible. You have to lift explosively to get strong. Same principle.

Do this every time you breathe for a month and your lungs will be strong as all get out. This is how champion lung-strongman Big Bad Wolf trained in preparation for his record-breaking championship last year.

[​IMG]

10. mmafreedom

mmafreedom Purple Belt

This post is spot on, and I couldn't have written it better.

11. ChinBo37

ChinBo37 Black Belt

bong hits

12. Jacked Daniels

Jacked Daniels Purple Belt

practice holding your breathe as long as u can. run with a snorkle.

13. darkcitydeadman

darkcitydeadman Purple Belt

Yes. This.

14. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

KK guys run with a clothes line peg over their nose and a small bit of hose pipe in their mouth.

15. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

fartlek heres the reasoning, someone tell me if it makes sense when your not in long slow distance mode your body is in sprint mode, in sprint mode you use your lungs in a heavier capacity. when you run each leg start at 50% accelerate the whole way to 90% where no joke if you had to go another 10% distance for your leg you would fall over. then stop wait 15 seconds do some basic conditioning exercise (its supposed to be a break so chill a bit on them not trying to set a push up speed record, or a sit up, or a burpee 8 rep record) wait 10 seconds begin next leg. much of the acid leaves your system allowing each leg of the run to be training harder, and it keeps your whole body involved increasing the tax on your lungs.

thinking about this I think I basically said LSD is not full range of motion with your lungs.

this is the one thing aside from girls asses that crossfit has really right. (go look at the girls ass thread noticee how many good ones are at the crossfit competition?)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  16. iheartthemount

iheartthemount Blue Belt

try running with a pedometer and try to hold a steady beat and see if that helps. then try running either on a machine with heart rate sensors or get a heart rate monitor watch to run with and tells you when your heart rate is increasing too much. running with that and the pedometer will help you develop a proper breathing repetition.

i also found that yoga and focusing on my breath has gotten me to understand how to breath properly when exercising and focusing on it especially when i get tired.

17. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Do stuff that makes you breathe hard. Then do a little more of that every time.

18. Chaseg1520

Chaseg1520 Green Belt

Swim... nothing builds better lungs

19. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

cough *bullshit* only if you don't know how to swim so you freak out and kill yourself in the first five minutes.

swimmers cannot mantain a high enough heart rate/oxygen intake in npractice so they get told to do out of the water cardio .

I swam, I was very, very good. Your lungs don't get used to full capacity swimming unless your all but drowning. So yeah if you can run 10 50s in the water at 45 seconds coming in at 22 seconds it will burn your lungs nice and proper. been there done that. die so bad tenth one your at 28. You can do the same running. Also the extra support in the water does not carry over to out of water exercises so you have weak points in the muscles around your lungs.

Fartlek is way way better to teach yourself not to gas. Why, cause its in a full gravity based environment working above the capacity you'll fight at not below.

Now if you want to change the way your body uses air, ok go swimming but not many people can just pop in the pool and swim 10X500 off the bat and thats the type of practicing you would need to do.

20. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

basically yeah. that