Strengthening the vastus medialus?

The Colonel

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm currently going through some training with a military school for promotion and during the school we PT every day. I'm already used to working out (doing a 5x5 right now) and other than being about 10lbs overweight and recovering from a lower back injury (happened several months ago, I'm fine now and back to doing BORs, SDLs-just not at near max weights yet, I'm taking it slow) I'm in pretty good shape.

I had stopped running though for a while because of some inner/medial knee pain on my L knee that basically I chalked up to me just being too damn heavy (gained weight from my back injury, I'm close to 200lbs and I like to be usually around 185 or so).

Anyways, so we went running yesterday and sort of had an "unofficial" PT test. I maxed the push ups and sit ups like usual, and then we did our 1.5 mile run on the flight line of all places. So, running on concrete in high Montana winds really sucked, but I still managed to out run everyone in my class. Part of the reason why I'm positive I outrun them is that other than being a formerly serious runner I also do squats, DLs, and lift seriously.

But again, that nagging knee pain on my Left knee popped back up. Its only on my left knee, right on the inside/medial side. I just came off a long lay off from running, so its obvious that it is "rested", but the pain is still there but only when I run.

I can tell that my left knee is less stable than my right knee, not like its going to buckle or anything crazy like that, I can just tell. That's why I think I need to target the vastus medialus. I can squat around 200lbs for 5x5. Nothing that impressive I know, but still way better than most runners.

So how do I do this? Frankly (and I know this is blasphemy on this forum) I don't think that squats and DLs are the answer. I already do those. When I squat I go ass to ground, toes slightly pointed out, and I keep a slightly wider stance than conventional squats anyways. I know I'm not near as strong as most of the lifters on here, but compared to most runners I'm pretty strong. I'm definitely no little skinny ass Ethiopian looking guy.

It seems like things like step ups mostly target the outside of the knee or the over all knee, what I am looking for are ways to target the inner knee. Any help would be appreciated.

Part 1
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qkxt6r1Q8ls&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qkxt6r1Q8ls&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Part 2
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fZYIMSpZNZo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fZYIMSpZNZo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Part 3
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6is1stGcP0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6is1stGcP0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Part 4
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bXpBXxzLxmY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bXpBXxzLxmY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Watch all of those videos because they are some knowledgeable guys. I learned alot.

Foam roll your medialis, esp. near the muscle belly, as the muscle starts to differentiate itself visually from the rest of the vastus group.

The best part is Dave Tate screaming on the foam roller.

I'm in pretty good shape.

I maxed the push ups and sit ups like usual,

So, running on concrete in high Montana winds really sucked, but I still managed to out run everyone in my class.

Part of the reason why I'm positive I outrun them is that other than being a formerly serious runner I also do squats, DLs, and lift seriously.

I can squat around 200lbs for 5x5. Nothing that impressive I know, but still way better than most runners.

I'm pretty strong. I'm definitely no little skinny ass Ethiopian looking guy.

There's a theme here...

Those are some really good vids. That was crazy how the injured guy's leg started trembling when he was doing that first exercise.

That old guy who was explaining everything was just incredible, I was very impressed with him.

I think I'm going to get some of those exercise bands or whatever they are called. I know my gym doesn't carry any of those, and there isn't a multi hip machine either.

So, from what I gathered from the video, the trainer suggested doing 3 sets of 20-25 reps for an exercise, but how many of these exercises should you do to adequately target the area? I know he suggested that you do them before a heavy leg day as a warm up, but what about on off days? I do a 5x5 on MWF, could I do these on another day or would I risk over working that muscle group/joint area?

I had slight knee problems (a bit of pain that I self diagnosed as a weak VMO), and used those exercises to correct. 3 sets during my warmups before every workout took care of my problem in about a month. The pain was noticeably better after a week.

I probably had more of a VMO activation issue than weakness.

I'd reccomend the Terminal Knee Extensions (band around back of knee pulling away from rack I've also done them on adjustable pulleys with 25 lbs.

Thats just what worked for me and my non-professional non-formal educated self.

The Colonol is ruining the AV unity.

He's from the grappling forum. One of those guys.

I'd reccomend the Terminal Knee Extensions (band around back of knee pulling away from rack

TKE's have basically become part of my everyday prehab stuff. Lots of people will do rotator cuff band work whether they are injured or not. So do I. But I do my knee prehab too, even when my knees feel fine. And glute activation stuff too.

Those are some really good vids. That was crazy how the injured guy's leg started trembling when he was doing that first exercise.

That old guy who was explaining everything was just incredible, I was very impressed with him.

I think I'm going to get some of those exercise bands or whatever they are called. I know my gym doesn't carry any of those, and there isn't a multi hip machine either.

If you have a cable machine with a low pulley, you can probably find a way to ring something up to go behind your knee and use the cable for resistance.

I had the same problem but strong VMO's. Deactivation of the VMO is a common prblem with runners. If you were to lay your leg out straight and flex your quads I bet you would see the outer thigh flexing first with the VMO flexing second. This causes the patella to pull to the distal (outside) side of the leg thus causeing wear and tear under the knee cap. I solved this problem by (PT perscribed):

1. Practicing my knee timing through biofeedback.

2. Stretch the living mother out of the IT band and Achilies(sp) tendon with orthotics to deal with my newly diagnosed at the time pronation of the feet.

3. Stop distance running. Guys hate here when I say that but how many older runners do you know compared to older guys who used to run and now are having hip replacements. If not stopping running is an option then I would periodize running to coincide with PT tests.

Oh, and I'd also recommend trail running versus flat hard surface running.
My theory on this is that all the little jigs and leaps and ups and downs you have to do while running a trail - with a moderately difficult surface - works a wider variety of muscles. You'll have more "balanced out" runners legs.
I could be full of shit though.

Back