Strength Vs.Technique

dsatt

White Belt
Reaction score
I stand at 5'10 220 I recently started takin BJJ, now I am extremely strong and athletic (which means nothing in BJJ) I was wondering how can I transition to using more technique and less strenght. any help you all could give would be most appreciated.

Just concentrate on being smooth. Avoid jerky strength movements.

If you go for a move or a lock and your partner resists, don't force it. Instead transition to another move.

Remember that every counter leaves you open for something else. If you concentrate on finding the proper openings and exploiting them rather than just forcing techniques with muscle, you will improve much faster.

Dastt, i was in a similar situation but its good that you have already acknowledged the issue. I have been training a few years and was too reliant on strength and winning when i started. Now i often start from the sitting position and work form there because if i go to knees its too easy to get top position and dominate smaller oponants. Also go crazy in warmups to make sure your MEGA tired before rolling time. I dont roll to win at the moment but to try all the techniques i need work to on, unless im getting my ass handed to me then i just do what i can without struggling to much to do moves that arent working.
Also a friend told me the 10 second rule, if a move isnt working after ten seconds of trying move on to something else.
You might look like crap on the mat for a while and get tapped a lot but hopefully more experienced poeple like your coach will see what you are up to.
Its easier said than done and takes a while to get used to but if you work hard and get really good tech, then add back your strength and explosiveness you will be a killer.

just breathe a lot, stay calm, and dont worry when you are getting your ass handed to you.
go slow and concentrate on technique, everytime you feel yourself using strength , stop and work on a different technique. this worked for me.
pretend you have no strength and you have to match up equally to your training partners flowing.
it will take some time and will be frustrating sometimes,, once you get good technique, then it doesnt hrt to use strength when needed

When sparring, just relax. Take it easy. Don't use muscles. Tell yourself that you lose everytime you use your muscles too much. You should be able to sleep when sparring. Ok, over exaggerating.
But you should spar in a very relaxed manner. Some sparring seassions are harder than others (mostly no gi sparring). And then you should go harder too. But if you wear a gi, just stay relaxed.
Might be easier said than done for you personally. But that's what you should do.

always think if one door is closed there is another wide open. if you feel yourself trying to power through things, its not the right move. regroup, or try to go the opposite way. using strength is an easy habit to break once you learn proper technique. my instructor always tells us the only strength you need is grip strength and core strength....im inclined to agree.

I have a question...

What is wrong with using strength? I would want every advantage possible. If I can force a submission by powering it, I am going to do it.

I always roll after ive lifted weights, so im already tired and have to rely on technique to get me thru not strengh!

b0b said:
I have a question...

What is wrong with using strength? I would want every advantage possible. If I can force a submission by powering it, I am going to do it.

Did you even read his post?
"was wondering how can I transition to using more technique and less strenght"

You don't wanna use strength so you can learn proper TECHNIQUE. Which is way more important than strength ever will be. When you have the proper technique and you are in a fight, then you can go ahead and use strength aswell.

groin striker said:
I always roll after ive lifted weights, so im already tired and have to rely on technique to get me thru not strengh!

That's good. I've done the same thing. Though I don't actually have to do it now since I got technique and I also know how to relax when sparring.

b0b said:
I have a question...

Because there's always someone much stronger than you. Sure you can overpower some people but it will raise your game far more if you can deceive people and take what you want without effort.

Technique and deception > Strength

OP - you absolutely must find a way to avoid using your strength. It's amazing how fast the little guys at my gym come along especially when compared to the big muscular types.

There is nothing wrong with using strength, especially in competition. However, focusing on technique in training helps you improve more and faster.

strength+technique>strength

b0b said:
I have a question...

as a white belt you will use strength and power because you don't have the technique. at the early stages its normal and okay for new guys to use strength because thats what they know and they see it as their only asset. thats fine and dandy but once you get the technique, you'll see there is no need to "rely" on strength. doesnt mean you can't use it but you'll find that you need it alot less.

what will happen when youre at the end of your anaerobic capacity and your strength advantage is nullified? you will need to be able to hold your opponent down, lock in that submission with finesse and ease rather than force...why not break the habit early and save your strength for something like mackin' hoes at the bar.

One thing I used to do when training with someone who is either less experienced or smaller than me is to only use my index and middle fingers when gripping, this obviously prevents me from ever using too much strength when attempting to control or throw an opponent and after a while i got so used to not using all my strength (what little there is) that I did'nt really need to use that grip anymore as it was already engrained in my mind.

sanuces said:
always think if one door is closed there is another wide open. if you feel yourself trying to power through things, its not the right move. regroup, or try to go the opposite way. using strength is an easy habit to break once you learn proper technique. my instructor always tells us the only strength you need is grip strength and core strength....im inclined to agree.

Nicely put.

If strength is your natural asset then focus on the other 3:conditioning; technique; and flexibility. I started BJJ 5 years ago pretty much in your situation of being stronger than most guys in my class- which led me to overexerting, tiring, and getting tapped.

Try rolling with guys that are bigger and stronger than you and that will force you to learn technique and eventually formulate your own gameplan.

I had the same problem. I'd power out've movers and really just force my subs in. Now I'm cutting down to 145 from 160 so my cardio is shooting and strength dropping. It'll benefit my technique in the long run.

Yesterday was the day when my BJJ changed forever. I was rolling with a purple belt who was the first person to dominate me without using absolutely no strength at all. Then I fought with a blue belt girl and managed to beat her using not much strength.
I fight very agressively and lots of pressure ( compliments of Tony Cecchine

The more technique you have, the less strength you need ...

I have had good luck rolling with guys that are bigger and stronger than me -- it forces you to be patient and try to be more technical, rather than relying on athleticism to get you through. Athleticism impedes learning ... but it makes you a better competitor ... you need to know how to balance those issues.

If you can, roll with somebody bigger/stronger than you. That should help you learn technique. Nothing wrong with power, except that training it on little guys doesn't help you very much when you have to go against a big, skilled guy.

Back