Strength training routine question

fighting.spirit

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I finally got the spare time to read the FAQ and it's probably the best thing I've ever done, when it comes to strength and conditioning. Seriously. I only wish I read it earlier.

I only have three days a week to lift heavy [to supplement my grappling]. From what I understood, there are two common ways of doing this. One, is to isolate one of the three lifts (deadlift, benchpress, squat) on seperate days, then supplement each with two or three exercises. The other way, is to do two/ three lifts together on the same day (meaning I'll be doing each one at least twice a week).

Which do you guys recommend?

Also, I understand the importance of rest, but if I lift three days a week, I won't have a single rest day. Should I do a two day split for my strength training instead of three?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Start off with two days a week. It's almost always better to do err on the side of less. There's the two day split, which is good. Other options are starting strength or stronglifts, but doing it 2 days a week, rather than three. The Wendler 5/3/1 and Christy 5/3/1 also both work well for 2 days a week.

Just do a 2day split so you can have time to rest. They're not gonna be consecutive days right? As long as you give your body time to recover (eat and sleep) then you'll be fine.

As far as the lifts, i would just do 2 main lifts per day. If you want to do 3, then make sure the 3rd one is just light/moderate load (preferably squats).

Start off with two days a week. It's almost always better to do err on the side of less. There's the two day split, which is good. Other options are starting strength or stronglifts, but doing it 2 days a week, rather than three. The Wendler 5/3/1 and Christy 5/3/1 also both work well for 2 days a week.

Thanks. I read about Wendler's system here:

T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength

I honestly don't think I fully understand it. Do you have a link to a more laid out plan?

Just do a 2day split so you can have time to rest. They're not gonna be consecutive days right? As long as you give your body time to recover (eat and sleep) then you'll be fine.

As far as the lifts, i would just do 2 main lifts per day. If you want to do 3, then make sure the 3rd one is just light/moderate load (preferably squats).

Thanks. Okay. So it would look something like this: [?]

Sunday: Bench Press + Olympic Squat + some assistance work for each

Tuesday/ Thursday: Deadlift + Military Press + some assistance work for each

Also, do I do assistance work right after each of the main lifts, or after I finish both of the main lifts?

Thanks again.

Definately a 2 day split. You will need at least one rest day per week.

What part of the 5/3/1 program are you unsure of? I might be able to help you if you tell me exactly what you need explained.

Thanks. Okay. So it would look something like this: [?]

Sunday: Bench Press + Olympic Squat + some assistance work for each

Tuesday/ Thursday: Deadlift + Military Press + some assistance work for each

Also, do I do assistance work right after each of the main lifts, or after I finish both of the main lifts?

Thanks again.

Are you planning on doing 5/3/1?

Yes, that program looks fine (very similar to what i'm doing), although Wendler's 2day split only has 1 main lift per session (1week's worth of workout spread out to 2weeks). IMO as long as you're getting the required reps and you're improving, then you'll be fine.

With assistance, i would prefer doing them after the 2 main lifts, this way you can conserve your energy. Do i do it this way? No, because i go to a commercial gym and it's hard to get a bench or power rack away from the curl monkeys. What assistance lifts are you looking at?

Are you planning on doing 5/3/1?

Yes, that program looks fine (very similar to what i'm doing), although Wendler's 2day split only has 1 main lift per session (1week's worth of workout spread out to 2weeks). IMO as long as you're getting the required reps and you're improving, then you'll be fine.

With assistance, i would prefer doing them after the 2 main lifts, this way you can conserve your energy. Do i do it this way? No, because i go to a commercial gym and it's hard to get a bench or power rack away from the curl monkeys. What assistance lifts are you looking at?

Actually, Wendler outlines two types of 2 Day Split. And one of them has two main exercises per day.

Back