Strength Training on Off Days?

Trael

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I started taking up boxing classes recently, but still have my membership to the local Ballys. I have Boxing on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. The question I have is should I do weight training on my "off days," or would this be too much of a strain on my body. And if I should do weight training, what parts of the body should I focus on? Thanks guys

don't do it.. weights don't help that much unless you're shadow boxing with them.. don't do reps just like that or you'll lose explosiveness.

Strength train, you'll improve your speed and power. Swing over to the Strength and Conditioning forum to get some insight on the 5x5 routines. I'd recommend starting with one day a week until you get an idea of what you can reasonably recover from and then move up. Personally, 2x/week has been enough for me to make small gains without compromising my stand up training.

I started taking up boxing classes recently, but still have my membership to the local Ballys. I have Boxing on Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. The question I have is should I do weight training on my "off days," or would this be too much of a strain on my body. And if I should do weight training, what parts of the body should I focus on? Thanks guys

I think just the basic 4 and some accessory lifts are good.

Deadlift
Squat
Mil. Press
Bench

Go to someone who REALLY knows how to do those exercises right for advice. Too many dudes doing quarter/half squats and deadlifting with atrocious back curvatures. Doing some of these wrong can really mess you up, especially the squat and deadlifts. But they're sooo very worth it for practical fighting strength IMO.

I mention bench because doing it balances out the others, but I would not obsess over bench press for any fighting purposes. Many people do.

I'd have one day a week of not doing anything physical to recover, but that's just me.

Give yourself enough rest and good nutrition and
you'll be alright.

I am probably wrong but, isnt it a bad idea to shadow box or work on striking etc with weights?

I am probably wrong but, isnt it a bad idea to shadow box or work on striking etc with weights?

Although there is still a fair amount of debate as to whether shadowboxing with weights is dangerous, or even helpful, the post you are referring to was made in jest.

Generally, if a post seems to ludicrous/dumb to be serious, it is most likely a joke.

It really depends on your size, strength and aerobic fitness. If you're undersized like me ( 6'0, 140 kind of lanky) and you want to put on some lean muscle, then the traditional upper/lower split is good. Check out Muscle gain | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald for a ton of information on that. If you're resting heart rate is not in the 50's, that time you want to spend on lifting is probably better served doing long distance type aerobic work. It would translate better to boxing then lifting would. Heart rates of 130-150 for 60-90 minutes cardio sessions go a LONG way, and the aerobic system is designed to handle high volume so it's really hard to over train yourself doing this type of low intensity conditioning. If you plan on lifting heavy in the 3-5 rep range, you should lift no more then 2 days a week plus boxing training. Lifting heavy takes its toll on the CNS and eventually you would burn yourself out trying to lift heavy too often.

Strength train, you'll improve your speed and power. Swing over to the Strength and Conditioning forum to get some insight on the 5x5 routines. I'd recommend starting with one day a week until you get an idea of what you can reasonably recover from and then move up. Personally, 2x/week has been enough for me to make small gains without compromising my stand up training.

This.

If you want to just increase strength and power and limit your size increase, a 3x5 routine like Starting Strength is your best bet. The lower volume compared to a 5x5 will lessen the amount of hypertrophy and let you recover more quickly, since that is one of your concerns. Weight gain is more dependent on diet vs caloric output than anything else.

Follow a novice program and don't add your own shit. It will help you in the long run.

The strength forum is awesome. Read the FAQ. More than once.

2 days a week is good

Back