strength training - help me get rid of some final confusions

Dayum, thats more responses than I had hoped to get! =)

.. but thats awesome of course :D

Now the first thing I wondered while reading through all your posts..

When you guys talk about Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, Bill Starr 5x5 and so on..

You mean different workout routines / schedules and NOT different Set/Reps combinations, right?

Meaning, Starting Stength, Stronglifts, Bill Starr and so on.. these schedules may consist of different exercises done in different orders, but the exercises themselves of these routines (like deadlift, squat, .. ), all done the same way: 5 sets of 5 reps each. .. did I understand this right?

But otherwise, so does everyone agree on this:

I should do the 5 x 5 system on my exercises (squat, bench, deadlift, .. ) to grow a good, solid, strength base (and not listen to people in my gym).

And, given I have good form and good ROM, increase weight when:

and since I want to get more explosive, always:

.. ?

These are all different "programs". SS uses a 3x5 on all lifts except PC's which use a 5x3. Not sure the specifics on the 5x5 programs, but they will be good too. I would say choose a program and then become part of their community forum to ask questions.

Also, be extremely careful who you listen to in a gym.

I'll try to be more clear.

When you lift (at least for main lifts, and not assistance) you try and make the concentric part (ie. the lifting, not the lowering) each lift as quick as possible. It may not actually be quick. Ie. if you're lifting 95% of your max, it's not likely to move very fast...but you still try to lift as quick as possible for that particular weight, even if as quick as possible is rather slow.

These are all different "programs". SS uses a 3x5 on all lifts except PC's which use a 5x3. Not sure the specifics on the 5x5 programs, but they will be good too. I would say choose a program and then become part of their community forum to ask questions.

Also, be extremely careful who you listen to in a gym.

Deadlifts in SS is 1x5!

The fact that the 5x5 system doesnt use sets of 8 or 10 has nothing to do with agreement or disagreement.

That would be like saying "I disagree with you when you say that arsenic is poison".

Some things are just plain right or wrong.

This sums it up personally. Everyone these days likes to turn it into "a matter of opinon" when really its facts vs. Myth

Back