210x2
220x1​
Wide grip bench:
155x7,7​
Overhead Press:
120x6,5,4​
Skullcrushers:
100x7,6,6​
A rather hurried workout as I only got home just before six, then had to eat work out and leave for judo by 7:30. Still a PR in bench, think I'll drop the weight back down and try to increase volume next week, just did'nt have the time today.

Squat Day

This day sucked, could'nt seem to get into the right frame of mind and felt offbalance and weak.

Squat:
110x5
155x5
200x5
220x1 (fucked up the descent on the second rep)​
Sumo Squat:
110x2x10​
GMs:
110x2x10​
Abwheel rollouts:
3x10​
Saxxon side bends:
20lbsx2x10​

Good work Smashius, you are pretty close to my lifts. 225 bench, 355 DL. I am starting my first BJJ class early Feb. and I just added the snatch into my arsenal.

Fedorable said:
Good work Smashius, you are pretty close to my lifts. 225 bench, 355 DL. I am starting my first BJJ class early Feb. and I just added the snatch into my arsenal.
Thanks, I've been thinking of adding the snatch and some powercleans into my training, I've got a few competitions coming up so I'll be going away from heavy lifting immediately beforehand so I might try learning some oly lifts then.

Good luck with the bjj, don't worry if it feels kind of overwhelming to start with, you soon get the hang of it and start learning new moves much faster.

Pull day

Deadlift:
200x5
240x10 (singles standing back up between reps)​
*340 felt heavy and my technique seemed a little off, so I just backed the weight down a bit and tried to concentrate on form and really exploding off the floor*

SLDL:
265x8,6,6​
Rack Pulls:
265x8,6,7​
Pull-ups:
5,5,5,5​
Shrugs:
265x8,6,8​
Ab Wheel Rollouts:
3x10​
Grip work:
CoC#2 closes and some negatives done earlier in the day​
Deadlifts were kind of crappy today but my assisstance work was actually much improved, so I guess I can't complain. On a side note, I finally got around to ordering Brookfield's books on strength ("grip master's manual" and "mastery of hand strength") so hopefully they'll be showing up some time soon.

Pulled my right adductor on wednesday so I could'nt squat today, decided to do some work on the RT instead as I've been neglecting it for too long. Worked up to 132 on each side and 137 came just off the floor with my left but would'nt lock out, must do this more regularly.

Pull day

Powercleans:
110x5
130x5​
*new exercise did'nt go any higher because I want to spend a bit of time getting form down before I try to go heavy*

Deadlift:
200x5
300x1
340x2
300x4,3​
SLDLs:
265x5,5,5​
Weighted pull ups:
10x5,4,5
0x5,5​
Shrugs:
265x6,6,7​
RT:
90 for timed hold with each hand
110 x2 each hand​
Ab wheel rollouts:
3x15​
Sledge hammer levering to finish

what u use for weighted pull-ups? my gym hasnt got the chain belt thingy :).

pork said:
what u use for weighted pull-ups? my gym hasnt got the chain belt thingy :).
I use my old white gi belt, I just thread the belt through the centre of the weight and then tie it in a big loop and wear it round my neck. Suprisingly comfortable, went up to 45lbs without any discomfort before my shoulder injury and felt it could deal with a lot more.

ta :)

sounds like a pimpin necklace, rampage might come out wearin one :p

pork said:
ta :)

sounds like a pimpin necklace, rampage might come out wearin one :p
I already gave out the advice in another thread to use 2 45's a length of chain and a can of gold spray paint to make one bitchin medallion that even Mr T would be proud of.

hahaha sounds good but not right for me :p.
i did the pull-ups today and realised a could just sit dumbell on its end and lock it between my two feet, very comfortable with 45lb, dont know why didnt think of it b4 :S.

pork said:
hahaha sounds good but not right for me :p.
i did the pull-ups today and realised a could just sit dumbell on its end and lock it between my two feet, very comfortable with 45lb, dont know why didnt think of it b4 :S.
Cool, if it works do it. I've only got adjustable dbs do it would be a bit awkward for me and I think once you get up even further it might be difficult but for now sounds like a workable solution.

YAY!! More than a thousand views of this rather pathetic tale of weakness (some people obviously have far too much time on their hands :) )

Press day

Bench:
65x2x10
155x5
175x5
185x5,3,3,3​
Overhead Press:
120x8,5
130x4​
Weighted Dips:
10x5
20x5
35x5
20x4
0x5​

Finished off with some overhead squats using just the bar, I'm determined to learn this exercise and get good at it.

Squat day

Overhead Squats:
20x2x10​
Snatches:
45x10​
Snatch followed by an overhead squat:
65x2x10​
*never tried to do snatches before today, felt quite natural after a few, kept everything light and really tried to focus on exploding through the second stage of the pull and not using my shoulders. I was doing them with into only a sort of half squat rather than dropping fully, a power snatch perhaps? Anyone feels like enlightening me let me know.*

Squats:
110x5
155x5
175x5
200x2x5​
Wide stance squats to just below parallel:
155x6,7,8​
GMs:
110x10,6​
Ab Wheel rollouts
3x15​
Saxxon side bends:
20lbsx3x10​
Then some sledgehammer levering and a couple of singles on my CoC#2 followed by some cheat reps and negatives.

Pro tip: If you really want your neighbours to think you're utterly batshit crazy, take a loaded barbell out onto your lawn and do some snatches. They'll look at you like you've got lime green smoke coming out of your ears.

EDIT: I'm now a week out from the Varsity (Cambridge vs. Oxford) Judo match, so i'm going to cut back on weights and just do some light power work and conditioning to get me ready to bury my opponent from the dark side.

WAR CAMBRIDGE

Bas Rutten workout: Boxing CD track 1 done all the way through on the punchbag.

Pullups: 1,2,3,4,5,5,4,3,2,1

Dips: 1,2,3,4,5,5,5,4,3,2,1

Chins: 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1

Ab Wheel Rollouts: 3x15

bas tapes are great.

good luck with cambridge, lets hope your lifting will pay off.

Random oly lifts day

Snatch:
65x8
75x5
90x5
100x5​
Overhead Squats:
65x2x5
75x5​

Truncated as hell workout cos of Varsity day

Snatch:
65x5
90x3
110x1 PR​

Varsity Judo update

The annual Varsity judo match between Cambridge and Oxford universiteis was this past Saturday, I was competing on the Cambridge men's A-team. Unfortunately due to the format of the competition it has to be a heaviest guy on team fights opositions heaviest guy type deal. We only had one heavyweight so I was fighting second in the order (I weighed in after lunch and fully clothed at 180). This put me up against a 235 pound black belt, I put up a pretty good fight but the size and strength disadvantage was too much. I coul'nt really move the guy around the mat too set up any turning throws or leg sweeps so I was stuck with attempts at pick ups and sacrifice throws. As soon as the guy got hold of me he would immediately push me downwards and try to drive me head first into the floor (for which he was never penalised despite it being a pretty blatant drag down/spoiling tactic) in the end I had to use a tomoenagae despite it being damn risky on a much bigger opponent and though I scored a yuko off it he managed to get the holddown and being exhausted from 3 minutes of being pulled around like a rag doll I could'nt shift him.

Still, I took on the strongest fighter on their team (their heaviest seemed to be a fair bit weaker and slower) and the rest of us managed to demolish all but one of their remaining fighters for a 6-2 victory.

Pull day

Powercleans:
110x5
130x5
155x3​
Deadlifts:
200x5
240x5
310x4, 3, 3​
Pull ups:
10lbsx5
20lbsx5