1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Strength Training and BJJ

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by MaximusNZ, Aug 7, 2010.

1. MaximusNZ

MaximusNZ White Belt

Hi Guys,

I have been reading the forum for a while and I see it is full of excellent advice so I thought that I would ask for some advice.

I have been training in BJJ now for 5 months and I'm rolling 6 days a week. My conditioning is pretty good as the sessions are intensive, however, I'm concerned that all the strength training that I have been doing for the last few years will be wasted. I train Crossfit style with Kettlebells mainly and want to keep the size and strength that I have. Training both BJJ and Strength in the same day is simply counter productive.

Any advice on how to merge?

Maximus.

2. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

Have you tried training BJJ and strength the same day and found it didn't work, or are you assuming it is counterproductive? If you tried doing both on the same day, what sort of routine were you doing? More detail than "crossfit style with kettlebells" would be helpful.

If you're only concerned about maintenance, one day a week of squat, bench, and some kind of pull would work. Or the "I'm doing jack shit" variation of 5/3/1.

3. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

If you`ve been doing circuit training all this time you probably won`t have much to lose anyways. I`d suggest you switch to the 2 day split in the FAQ.

4. MaximusNZ

MaximusNZ White Belt

Apologises for being so vague on my training. I have trained using Mike Mahler before and seen some huge results Now I train with an MMA guy and we do functional push/pull variations. My training is un-conventional as I get bored very easily so it changes every few weeks. At present I'm training 4-5 times a week in the gym and 5-6 times a week on the mat in the evening.

A typical training session would be:

A-1 Barbell Squat 3x5 (100kg) (past parallel and fast reps with good form)
    A-2 Weighted Pull-ups3x5 (25kg)

Do all of the sets for A-1 and A-2 in alternating fashion. One set of A-1, then a 45 second break and then A-2. Go back and forth until all sets are completed.

B-1 One legged Kettlebell Deadlift 3x8 (each side) (32kg bells)
    B-2 Double Kettlebell Bent-over Row 3x8 (32kg bells)

Do all of the sets for B-1 and B-2 in alternating fashion. One set of B-1, then a 45 second break and then B-2. Go back and forth until all sets are completed.

Core Circuit:

3 rounds of

Seated KB twist 1x10 (each side) (20kg bell)
    Slow and controlled sit up
    Plank hold 1x60 seconds
    V-ups 1x15
    One-arm Kettlebell Snatch 1x10 (each side) 24kg

No breaks in each exercise or round.

5. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

You shouldn't have a problem training BJJ with strength at the same time, you just need to dial back your strength training. Try the Wendler 5/3/1, training twice a week, or the 2 day split from the FAQ.

6. paolo27th

paolo27th Black Belt

The lenght of your rest periods suggest you are training for endurance and not strenght - however you`re probably not doing enough reps to achieve that goal either. Just make up your mind what you want to work on.

7. MaximusNZ

MaximusNZ White Belt

All good advice and well received, I'm checking out the 5/3/1 method now. Looks a pretty mean program.

8. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt