"Strength is technique"

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys think about this Mark Coleman quote?

The same mark Coleman that got subbed by half the roster?

Foot placement, body level, hip rotation, force of movement. Why yes there is more to a punch than just punching

It does make a lot of difference.

I would say actually that technique is strength.

Anyone that trains knows what I mean.

Coleman is right. The ability to generate power and functional strength are 100x techniques. Plus what are techniques if not moomens committed to muscle memory? If you work out your muscles enough so they get stronger why isn't that technique?

Strength is technique and technique is strength.

Through strength, I gain power...you know the rest.

Mark Coleman never lies.

Hulk smashing shit is a technique.

They’re not the same thing but they do go hand in hand together. I think that’s what he really means

Applying your leverage properly can make you feel strong, even if you aren't.

Your physical abilities are important. One blackbelt in Rickson's lineage put it this way; let's say a guy is a 8 out of 10 in technique, but a 2 out of 10 in physical ability (maybe is old or really small, whatever). Another guy is a 4 out of 10 in technique, but a 8 out of 10 in physical ability (maybe he is a big guy, lifts weights, whatever).

The total score for the skilled guy is a 10 (8 skill + 2 physical). The big guy's total is 12 (4 skill + 8 physical). The big guy is going to win just about every match.

One could look at strength as a tool to use, just like technique, or cardio, etc. I agree with what Fedor said before, it's all equal. He wants to be 100% in skill, power and cardio. Sometime guys get caught up on all technique and nothing else, or all physical and nothing else. All of it's important and a lack of any of those things can make you lose.

Not uncommon to see athletes do "quirky" unusual escapes and submissions because their strength and athleticism allows it.

Same as flexibility makes it harder for the opponent to armbar you, as in the latest fight of Sandhagen.

Back