Strength Difference in Comparison to Size

Hercules would stab Paul Bunyan in the fucking chest.

This is how it was writ.

Damn right. You guys go right ahead and be a big retarded lumberjack, I'd rather be a Greek warrior with godlike powers.

I think Achiles could take them both if his ankle held up. He was supposed to be invicible other than there.

This argument came up in the Grappling Forum so I figured I would ask you guys...

Do you think there is a bigger strength difference between:

1. a 150lb guy and a 175lb guy

OR

2. a 175lb guy and a 205lb guy

This is more in reference to grappling. We arent really talking weight training and how much each would bench press. We are talking about if a 150lb guy grappled a 175lb guy. And a 175lb guy grappled a 210lb guy....where would be bigger difference lie?

Thanks!

I've competed at all three weights, and although I can't speak for others, in my own case, I don't have difficulty rolling with anyone of any size at 175 lbs since my strength can match a 205er, but at 150 pounds my strength is nowhere near the strength of a grappling fit 175 lbs guy. At 205 and 175, I feel like a bull, but at 150, I can't do a thing.

I've competed at all three weights, and although I can't speak for others, in my own case, I don't have difficulty rolling with anyone of any size at 175 lbs since my strength can match a 205er, but at 150 pounds my strength is nowhere near the strength of a grappling fit 175 lbs guy. At 205 and 175, I feel like a bull, but at 150, I can't do a thing.

how tall are you?

Paul Bunyan had a beard, wore flannel, cut down trees, and ate lots of flapjacks with maple syrup.. Win by manliness

Paul Bunyan had a beard, wore flannel, cut down trees, and ate lots of flapjacks with maple syrup.. Win by manliness

not that i am discrediting Paul's manliness, but I am pretty sure that killing a giant immortal lion with your bare hands is kind of a manliness trump card.

Paul Bunyan owned an ox

Hercules lifted an ox over his head every day.

Paul Bunyan might have looked big but he was really just a lazy bodybuilder. Hercules had the real functional strength.

More like butchness. Paul Bunyan looks like most hardcore lesbians. Hercules wore the skin he tore off a lion he killed. That's manly.

It's hard to go against Bunyan, considering I'm from a timber industry town, and our high school mascot is the lumberjack, but I loved reading folklore and mythology as a kid and gotta weigh in here.

(aside: Bunyan wasn't even the toughest of the folk heroes. I'd go with John Henry. But then, Hercules wasn't the toughest of the mythological figures, either, IMO. I'd go with Thor. And not comic book Thor, the real one from old Norse myth.)

Hercules vs. Bunyan, I'd have to say Hercules, because of craftiness and sheer violence. Paul was a guileless working man, not a warrior. Paul had a pet bull and a pet dog. Hercules proved he could handle these in labors #7 and #12, so it's down to man-to-man. The strength factor would be a toss-up, but Hercules always seemed to play some ingenious angle to his benefit to come out ahead, where Bunyan is a bit of a one-trick pony. Good with the ax, but I gotta go with the warrior/hunter craftiness of the Greek hero.

I am sorry for the bump but this has been the most amazing S&P discussion I have ever read.

I would be terribly sad to have never seen this and feel others must have a chance.

That said, my vote is 150->175. I'm 155(Sometimes) and don't feel as strong as I probably could be if I were a bit bigger. But my friend who fights ~180ish is like a bull

It depends on the individuals, there are always exceptions, but 150->175 will generally be the biggest difference.. The lighter the weight he smaller the increments between classes for that reason.

Holy shit, this is an old thread. I need some coffee...

mlw_0001_0001_0_img0041.jpg

Most of those accomplishments didn't require limit strength. They're more conditioning intensive. Hercules is like Marius and Paul Bunyan is Big Z. Paul is stronger.

Some of you are getting strength confused with who would win in a fight. Paul is stronger. Google that shit.

I like that logic. But using it proves Hercules was stronger. When Hercules had to get the apples from the Hesperides, he had to hold the entire weight of the heavens on his shoulders while the titan Atlas went to the garden and picked the apples. Has Paul Bunyan ever recorded a lift like that?

I like that logic. But using it proves Hercules was stronger. When Hercules had to get the apples from the Hesperides, he had to hold the entire weight of the heavens on his shoulders while the titan Atlas went to the garden and picked the apples. Has Paul Bunyan ever recorded a lift like that?

No but he also didn't stick his penis inside teenage boys.

I'm gonna go Paul Bunyan, cuz he never got his shit ruined by some bitch who gave him a crappy haircut.

paul bunyan is the sexy choice.

Back