strength competition at my gym

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by seamus1979, Sep 6, 2010.

1. seamus1979

seamus1979 Green Belt

ok i need some tips guys
    my gym has decided to throw together a strength competition in a few weeks
    ive decided to enter just for some fun
    now my real question is help building a routine for when they have the competition again in three months time
    the events are

squat for weight
    deadlift
    free weight bench press for weight
    loglift for weight
    3000 metres in quickest time on rowing machine

my current lifts are

squat 180kg
    deadlift 220kg
    bench press maybe 110kg (i suck)
    log lift 95kg
    dont even ask about the rowing machine

now there are lots of routines on the net like smolov for working particularly on squat or deadlift but im just after some help on how to peak for a competition at the end of january

cheers

james

2. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

A few weeks is not enough time to make significant gains. For a powerlifting competition, 3 weeks is about how long you need to taper down your training to peak for it. I suggest just picking a program and starting it. Either adjust your training days to get some rest before that comp in a few weeks or just skip it and focus on the one 3 months out.
    As for the question of what program, you need to give a little more info for anyone to be able to guide you on that. Are you a 23 y/o 5' 0" 125 pounder who's been training for a few years, a 32 y/o 6' 2" 300 pounder who's been training for years, a 16 y/o kid who's never trained, etc? See my point?

3. AR6

AR6 Blue Belt

As he said, a few weeks is not enough for a significant change but if you have 6 weeks, you can try Verhoshansky's 6 week peak plan. Or the Russian squat routine but that is more difficult and you squat 3 times a week. With Verhoshansky's plan you will have more energy to lift heavy in other lifts.

Programming for the Deadlift: A Strength Training and Powerlifting article from Dragon Door Publications

If you do it right, eat well and sleep well, you will add at least 8 or 9 kgs to your squat without the misery that the Smolov makes you go through.

4. Radon

Radon Purple Belt

Hey guys:

now my real question is help building a routine for when they have the competition again in three months time

5. ronin0352

Did you miss my last post?
    EDIT: Or should I say, did you miss the 2nd part of my last post?

6. seamus1979

seamus1979 Green Belt

im 5,9 and 31 years old
    210lbs and could do with losing 20lbs

if i set myself a 14 week target to peak maybe?
    i currently follow 5,3,1 three days a week
    day 1 being goodmornings, 2 being shoulder press and 3 being front squat. i have been doing this for a few weeks. my previous 5,3,1 was deadlifts, clean and press and zercher squat.
    would texas method be good a good way to get squats in three times a week whilst also working on my deadlift once a week?
    one of the guys i work with is a fitness freak and this is his advice. for the rowing machine i will start at 500 metres three times a week, adding 1-200 metres each week. apparantly under 4 minutes is a good time for a thousand metres and to do well i should be aiming to do 3000 metres in less than 11 minutes.

i have never tried block periodization so maybe i should research that next. any help guys would be appreciated.

cheers.

7. ronin0352

How long have you been training?

8. seamus1979

seamus1979 Green Belt

a good few years training
    took a few years off from weights and concentrated on my bjj and wrestling