Strength block , can i transition to explosive work ?

Candytree1995

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

i was doing strength tranning for about 2 month now. I have never done strength tranning before, i followed some kind of Greyskull Lp template i also got his book i modifed it for myself a bit

Stats :
173 cm
62,6 kg
Muaythai about 1 year and a few month
Squat : 72,5Kg
Deadlift 92,5Kg
Benchpress: 60Kg
Press : 37,5 KG

Day 1

1) Back Squats 3x5
2) Bench press 3x5/Press
3) Rows 2x8/Weighted chinups 2x8
5) Facepulls 2x10

Day 2

1) Deadlift 1x5
2) OVerheadpress/Benchpress 3x5
3) Rows 2x8/weighted chinups 2x8
5) Woodchops 2x8
6) SB Plank 3

I think your programming is solid based on your other demands, but at two days a week w/competing adaptations, you are going to have to be patient. I'm not saying this to be rude, but you have a lot more to gain out of basic strength before worrying about explosiveness, and you already have a lot of volume during the week.

If you DO end up incorporating explosive work, you really want to do it before your heavy strength work, not after. That type of work has to be done fresh, never to fatigue, to get the improvements you're after.

Joel's article really should have mentioned that power endurance requires the ability to generate power in the first place. If you have poor force production, address that first through proper avenues. The periodization in that article is only suited for strong, explosive fighters who need to condition themselves to be strong and explosive all fight.

Last edited:
Thanks alot , that was exactly the answer i needed, so to clear things up i shouldn't worry so much about switching different goals, Joe said its important to keep balance, so i focus more on gaining strength and just maintain my cardio balance and when i reached a certain level of strength i can put in some explosive work /power endurance work (because how can i improve my explosive == power and endurance if i dont have alot of it :p) , try to maintain my strength work more directly on my endurance if i understood that right ?

I guess he adresses more advanced Fighters who want to bring their game to a top level right and already have a perfect base on all different situations?

And could you explain what you exactly mean with this : " but at two days a week w/competing adaptations, you are going to have to be patient.".

Last edited:
Thanks alot , that was exactly the answer i needed, so i shouldn't worry so much about switching different goals, Joe said its important to keep balance, so i focus more on gaining strength and just maintain my cardio balance and when i reached a certain level of strength i can put in some explosive work, try to maintain my strength work more directly on my endurance if i understood that right ?

I guess he adresses more advanced Fighters who want to bring their game to a top level right and already have a perfect base on all different situations?

For any athlete, the order should generally be develop enough force production (very different sport to sport, relatively low for pure MT)-->develop rate of force production -->condition to repeat as many times as needed during competition.

I would say that even though your sport doesn't require massive amounts of max strength, you are still going to improve your explosiveness through gaining more strength. This is just based off of what you've written. Any athletic development program should focus on improving whatever is holding your game back.

I meant that you're going to have slower strength gains given that you have so much else to do each week. Someone who devotes 3-4 days a week to just strength would improve faster. It's hard to get good at a lot of things all at once.

Ye, i agree but i don't want to drop any muaythai and its more important for me to get good technique i think kicks and movement is just as much or even little bit more important then strength, i just want strength as a supplement in general. I guess if i would be more advanced in Muaythai and i would already do it for like 3 years , i would maybe sacrifise 1 day of Muaythai but now i want to improve technique.

I will probably continue like that for about some time and see what happens and adjust from there. Thank you for your answer!

And i think most kind of grip strength and max strength is involved while clinching?

Sure for kick force development aswell but not as much as technique in my understanding.

Ye, i agree but i don't want to drop any muaythai and its more important for me to get good technique i think kicks and movement is just as much or even little bit more important then strength, i just want strength as a supplement in general. I guess if i would be more advanced in Muaythai and i would already do it for like 3 years , i would maybe sacrifise 1 day of Muaythai but now i want to improve technique.

I will probably continue like that for about some time and see what happens and adjust from there. Thank you for your answer!

And i think most kind of grip strength and max strength is involved while clinching?

Sure for kick force development aswell but not as much as technique in my understanding.

I completely agree - I just wanted to say that you'll have to accept that your strength will improve slower, and to have patience with sticking to that goal.

Back