Strength and Conditioning Standards. How many have you hit?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
In the various exercises what do you consider advanced? Not Elite/Competition level, but definitely experienced. I know their are going to be a lot of variables, but would you consider the following to be "advanced"? How many can you personally do?

Barbell

Squat: >2x BW
Bench:1.5x-2x BW
Press:1x-1.25 BW
Deadlift:>2.5x BW

Bodyweight
100 x Push Ups
150 x Sit Ups
20+ Pull ups at BW, or 5+BW
10 Pistol Squats
40+ Inch Box jumps.

Running

100m Around 12 seconds
200m Around 25 seconds
400m Sub 55ish seconds
1 Mile 6 minutes,
5k Sub 20minutes
10k Sub 45 minutes.

I am sure there are quite a few who can do SOME of these, but if you can currently hit 10/15 of these then hats off to you.

A powerlifter will look those barbell stats and be like "Yeah, I can do that" but can you also do 100 push ups and run a 6 minute mile? Same goes for runners who are well past those standards, but can't bench their bodyweight. Or a very skinny guy who can do 40 pull ups, but is weak on the barbell.

Last edited:
I understand that all of those are totally random but are still kind of fun to think of/discuss...

...but man, that 40-inch box jump as a "fitness standard"... that's pretty dumb.

Granted, videos of folks jumping to boxes that are twice-as-high-as-their-actual-jump-height-and-that-they-need-to-get-into-a-full-tuck-position-to-land-on is one of my pet peeves.

All the barbell ones

Haven’t tried the others

300 yard drive
Dunk a basketball
Back handspring/flip
Two chicks at the same time

I understand that all of those are totally random but are still kind of fun to think of/discuss...

...but man, that 40-inch box jump as a "fitness standard"... that's pretty dumb.

Perhaps 40 is a little high. 30"-36" most people can get there I think.

Not a runner but my Fitbit clocks my resting heart rate at around 48. I can hit all the barbell parameters except the squat. Probably couldn’t do 100 push ups in a row but could hit out 10 sets of 10 with a second or two break between sets easy enough. Don’t do sit-ups but yes could crunch for like ever. Don’t do box jumps either.

Here’s some more, double bw double overhand deadlift, bw oh squats for reps, 10 double under skips in a row, half bw suitcase carries for distance etc.

Probably none of them, although I think I can do the box jump. I guess I must make up for it all with technique <45>

I can't do a single one of those stats lol! Pretty close to very close on most of them though.

Last edited:
Granted, videos of folks jumping to boxes that are twice-as-high-as-their-actual-jump-height-and-that-they-need-to-get-into-a-full-tuck-position-to-land-on is one of my pet peeves.

Yes and no. Calling your vertical 52" because you can jump and tuck is silly, but if it gets you on a 52" box, then that cool. I jumped up onto a bike track curve that was eye level height by tucking. I thought it looked dope on vid. LOL

Barbell

Bodyweight
100 x Push Ups
150 x Sit Ups
10 Pistol Squats
40+ Inch Box jumps.

Running

100m Around 12 seconds
200m Around 25 seconds
400m Sub 50ish seconds
1 Mile 6 minutes,
5k Sub 20minutes
10k Sub 45 minutes.

Couple from each for me

I am bang on 2x BW squat, can do the bench and just shy of the dead lift

Box jump, push ups and sit ups

100m, 200m and the 10k....that 400m seems insanely fast compared to the others - closer to 60 seems a lot more aligned to some of the other running one

I dont do most of that stuff. Bw+40lbs x 10 on chin ups (210lbs) with perfect form and 10 x 495 high handle trap dl.

100m in
Couple from each for me

I am bang on 2x BW squat, can do the bench and just shy of the dead lift

Box jump, push ups and sit ups

100m, 200m and the 10k....that 400m seems insanely fast compared to the others - closer to 60 seems a lot more aligned to some of the other running one
Hard to say about that 400m time. For me, breaking 60 shouldn't be too much of an issue for someone who trains the 400m. If they're "advanced " but not Elite, breaking 50 seems reasonable. I don't know, I've never broken 50, but I've run low 50s in HS and I wasn't anywhere near good enough to compete at university level in the 300m (because our track season in uni is indoor)

I want to say our 400m winner at provincial would run close to the 50 second mark.

Last edited:
I can hit 11 of them. All of the running, squats, dlift, pushups, situps and pistol squats. Don’t know what a box jump is but I clear 28+ plus 36” barriers in the steeple depending on race length, typically 3-5K with no touch even on the water pit.

Don’t ask for more than BW out of me 1 RPM on bench or military press.

I can hit 11 of them. All of the running, squats, dlift, pushups, situps and pistol squats. Don’t know what a box jump is but I clear 28+ plus 36” barriers in the steeple depending on race length, typically 3-5K with no touch even on the water pit.

Don’t ask for more than BW out of me 1 RPM on bench or military press.

50s 400m?
If you weren't a track athlete, I'd say that's pretty impressive. The National HS record in the US is like 45s...

Last edited:
Anyone breaking 50 seconds is competing at a National level, that's for sure. The Junior record <19 years old is 43s I believe, which is ridiculous. We're going to see a sub 40 second 400m one day...

Anyone breaking 50 seconds is competing at a National level, that's for sure. The Junior record <19 years old is 43s I believe, which is ridiculous. We're going to see a sub 40 second 400m one day...

The world record is 43.03, so the junior record has to be a second or two slower.

Below 50 might be slightly high to set the bar. A lanky runner might be able to hit that with a TON of training, but someone like Mark Hunt will never break 70, or even 80.

But can you do it?

Yea, I originally started out as an 800m runner, so a lot of 400m splits have been put in. But as I moved up from racing just HS to racing for my city team and provincials/nationals, I just couldn't keep up. Went from 1500 to 3000 and then steeplechase was reintroduced at the high school level at least in the GTA somewhere around 2005. My dad was a national champion, PanAms silver medallist and Olympic alternate for the Canadian team so it is basically in my blood to run steeple. The squats and dlift thing is pretty much all to do with how much I run and a lot of hurdle work. My dad and I used to sneak on to an all weather track 3x a week just so we could use the hurdles we bought.

Now masters divisions and it's just scrawny old men who don't keep up with their body outside of interval training and lots of bike riding.
So you still train in the GTA?

Was with Mississauga T&FC until Bobby stopped coaching. I have no clue who the current coaches are. All of my coaching now comes strictly through my father so I run Twilight series races as I hate paying fees just so I can have access to races.

I was thinking of finding someone else but everyone who I used to train with there are now out West or down in the States. The Huskies haven’t seem to be performing and I am not sure if Eddie coaches out of ToC anymore to make it worth my while.

Which Bobby are you referring to?

My old friend Bob Westman is coaching at York I believe.
My brother is coach of London Western

I've been playing with the idea of getting back into Track. I was a HJer at Western. I help to coach at the Brockville Legion T&F. I have a really good grade 9 who jumped 1.81m last week. He's a beast. My other one, is a grade 11 he's going to go over 2.0m this year.

In the various exercises what do you consider advanced? Not Elite/Competition level, but definitely experienced. I know their are going to be a lot of variables, but would you consider the following to be "advanced"? How many can you personally do?

Barbell

Bodyweight
100 x Push Ups
150 x Sit Ups
10 Pistol Squats
40+ Inch Box jumps.

Running

100m Around 12 seconds
200m Around 25 seconds
400m Sub 55ish seconds
1 Mile 6 minutes,
5k Sub 20minutes
10k Sub 45 minutes.

I am sure there are quite a few who can do SOME of these, but if you can currently hit 10/15 of these then hats off to you.

A powerlifter will look those barbell stats and be like "Yeah, I can do that" but can you also do 100 push ups and run a 6 minute mile? Same goes for runners who are well past those standards, but can't bench their bodyweight. Or a very skinny guy who can do 40 pull ups, but is weak on the barbell.
thanks for reminding me how shitty I am!

Back