strength and conditioning - heavyweight / boxing

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by danboxing, Aug 3, 2016.

1. danboxing

danboxing Boxing / Boxeo / Pugilato / Boxe / ...

What are the main differences training strength and conditioning of the heavyweight category to the others boxing categories ?

2. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

You may actually engage in some mass building to make sure you aren't undersized compared to your competitors, and will have to take some extra time to build your aerobic conditioning and rate of force development with the new muscle

danboxing likes this.
  3. danboxing

4. MandirigmaFit

MandirigmaFit Blue Belt

the same factors that you should consider for lower weight classes.

it depends on the individual and their gamplan. do they need more speed? power? strength? aerobic capabilities? mobility capabilities?

5. pokerandbeer

pokerandbeer Green Belt

why would a lightweight train any differently than a superheavyweight in that same sport?

6. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

While the requirements of the sport remain the same, individual needs can change fairly largely with the amount of muscle mass the athlete has, the amount of food needed to maintain recovery, and how the athlete is sized relative to their conditioning. There can be fairly large variations in training for powerlifting across different weight classes (a 115lb woman who's a world champion can work near their max a lot more often than Eddie Hall or Chad Wesley Smith) . A 120lb Thai male will sum up a lot less impact running 5k than Deontay Wilder will, and won't have to eat nearly as much in order to recover.

Sano and danboxing like this.
  7. danboxing

Strenght and speed.

8. danboxing

The sport is the same, but ...
    the body is different
    the fight is different (strategy, %KO, etc.)

9. MandirigmaFit

MandirigmaFit Blue Belt

What I am saying is that it depends on the individual, not the weight category.

10. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

Sure, but you don't think there are general trends on heavier weight categories that effect what the individual needs are?

11. MandirigmaFit

MandirigmaFit Blue Belt

There are trends, although I think they are sometimes*(edit) unnecessary. The trends are also subjective and not required. They are just speculation; aside from heavier people requiring more food if they want to maintin their weight.

Correlation does not imply causation.

For example, when heavier runners were thought to be more injury-prone due to impact forces, they found that heavier people generally had worse running mechanics than lighter runners. I have seen many HW boxers and wrestlers with knee pain, almost as often as the lighter weight classes, but both extremes were still putting in roadwork.

In non-contact, chronic/overuse injuries, there are just too many variables to come to one specific cause.

Which is why I said that it comes down to goals and abilities. It makes it easier to create a plan.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  12. Phlog

Phlog Dad Belt

Because heavyweight is open ended you are more likely to have an athlete that cannot go down a weight.

Strength training is less necessary in such cases, at least in my own experience, I was knocking people out before training anything but bodyweight. My bodyweight was sufficient that when moved at speed it provided more than enough force, it was more about being able to produce that speed continuously. All I ever concerned myself with was cardio and practice of delivery.

Undersized opponents who made hw with muscle were the easiest foe, they always suffered in ability to deal in volume.

danboxing likes this.