1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

strength and conditioning for a beginner

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by aweiner769, Nov 2, 2010.

1. aweiner769

aweiner769 White Belt

first off yes i have read the FAQ.

I am completely new to mma and im looking for a great workout thatll kick my ass. I was looking at the Bill Starr 5x5 that was in the FAQ, any input on that? or any other workout you like. The only actual training i have is goring to the MMA club at my school once or twice a week for an hour and a half. I dont have the money or mode of transportation to go to an actual gym. so i have plenty of free time to workout. I would like a workout that has me in the gym, whether it be lifting, running, or anything else, at least 5 days a week. a have way too much free time right now. any links or maybe specific exercises you like, anything is helpful, im completely new.

2. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 Blue Belt

yes, the Bill Starr 5x5 will kick your ass. Hard. Its a great program.

If you want to Bill Starr 5x5 and do MMA, you will need to 5x5 with a fork as well.

3 Days Lifting + 2 Days MMA = 5 days in gym.

Good luck.

3. edco76

edco76 huh? Platinum Member

Any of the plans in FAQ are good. Bill Starr, Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, The 3 day split. All good. Just do the work.

The only advice I would offer is to ease in. If you are just starting or planning to start the MMA training, you may wanna do that for a few weeks and get into the groove. If you are going from nothing straight to MMA 2-3 times a week, and lifting 3 times a week. Its gonna whip your ass pretty quick.

4. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

You can't get to a gym but you want to be in the gym 5 days/week? I'm confused. Do you mean you can go to the MMA gym at your school but can't get to a weightlifting gym? What resources are available at your school? Is it high school or college/university?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  5. aweiner769

aweiner769 White Belt

I can get to a weightlifting gym at my college. the only mma i am able to do right now is going to one of the multipurpose rooms with a mat and rolling a few times.

6. S1Z

S1Z yoked.

I think he means he doesn't have the money or transportation to go to an actual MMA Club

7. aweiner769

aweiner769 White Belt

ok so like i said before i was really looking at the 5x5 because it seemed like it really works. however i wanted to incorporate some sort of conditioning in as well. but on the site for the 5x5 it says to do nothing else besides what is outlined there. does that only apply to lifting and weight training so is conditioning ok?

8. JauntyAngle

JauntyAngle International man of mystery

As far as I know, beginners don't really need a workout that will 'kick their asses'. With strength training you can make rapid and significant improvements doing a limited number of exercises with a limited number of reps, if you do it right. You don't work to failure, you're not exhausted afterwards and you're not sore the next day.

With conditioning, I think you need to get a basic level of cardio in place before you start trying to do crazy caveman circuits or anything like that. I don't know so much about this, but I think that you shouldn't consider that sort of stuff unless you can run 30 mins at a decent speed without being out of breath much.

9. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Okay cool, I get it now. On campus lifting gym, can't access a "real" MMA gym.

If you add conditioning on top of the lifting it will affect your ability to recover so you won't make strength gains as quickly as you would if you just focused on lifting. That doesn't mean you can't do both just realize that neither will be optimal.