"Street" / "Self Defense"

Nah, there would be too much argument over what style is better than the other for street self defence.

triso said:
This is a series of RANTs for all the street warriors on the board. Please do not read any futher if you do not want to be offended.

All the keyboard warriors talking about street fights and self defense need to STFU.

A fight is a fight. If you think in a fight you aren't going to have some kind of injury and pain inflicted upon you, you have never been in a fight.

You are not coming out unscathed. If you think it's painful to fight on the ground in the street, you are correct. That doesn't change the fact that a lot of fights end up on the ground, because when you are fighting you DO NOT GIVE A FUCK about the pain.

Any grappling art will help you when fighting someone (or the "street"), especially an untrained someone. Have you ever used grappling against someone who doesn't know wtf you are doing? Try it sometime; you will be AMAZED by the results. You'll look a lot like Royce did in the early UFCs. Early MMA is the proof.

Why does everyone assume grapplers have to go for a sub in a street fight? Can't we hold a mount, side mount, back mount, pin, and proceed to punch, knee, and elbow your head, neck, and body until we feel satisfied? And if we did want to go for a sub, how many people would know what the hell we were doing, let alone know how to defend it?

Also (contrary to popular belief), just because you take Jiu Jitsu does not mean you will be pulling guard in a street fight. If a BJJ player does get put on their back, guess who most likely has the advantage. Will your back get scraped, probably, do you give a fuck when someone is trying to hurt you, NO.

I'm sure if a Judo guy got a hold of you, the throw to the concrete would hurt quite a bit.

Same goes for a Wrestling slam or takedown.

As for weapons, and multiple attackers, you are FUCKED in this situation no matter what ART you train. You're a Boxer, Thai Fighter, Kenpo "street" fighter, congratulations you've just been stabbed in the back, or jumped by 5 people. It's a risk you run when fighting someone, if you are scared of that, then don't fight. It's much easier that way.

Oh yeah, and a punch usually doesn't end a fight (unless it's a sucker punch). You don't get hit and that's it, fights over; most of the time no one gets KTFO in a fight. They just get hit and fall to the ground, where the guy who hit him, jumps on him and continues hitting him.

Why does everyone think people on the street are badass MMA fighters? You must not have been around too many fights then, because most people come out swinging with wide looping bombs. Either that or they charge you and clinch with you, using dirty boxing and shitty grappling to throw you around or take you to the ground.

/end rant

P.S.
Is there any way we could get a Street Fighting or Self Defense forum on Sherdog? As much as I don't want this, maybe it would rid the good boards of the ridiculous, "yeah but in the street" posts and the "[insert art] does not work in the street" threads. This way all the people who haven't trained, keyboard warriors who've never been in a fight, and other idiots can go and speculate there; not wasting and more valuable space the forums, like my recent thread.

Mike Tyson said it best "Everyone has a plan till they get hit in the face"

Tazz said:
Not unless its RexKwonDo...
SO TRUE!!!!!! LOL

On a honest note, I like the Geoff Thompson theory, it is not what you train it is how you train. If you do TKD and try had to train in a realistic setting and mind frame it could work, same goes for judo or BJJ it is what type of physchology you use when training. So TKD, Judo, BJJ or Thai boxing. Try to train with a certain mind set instead of thinking of going for the point in training try to neutralize your opponent as if your in a street setting to finish him off.

When it comes to weapons I honestly believe you can train to survive a knife attack, what I mean about survive everyone must understand, most likely you will be cut in a knife attack no question about it you will be cut most tmes, but most would rather be cut on there arm or hand instead of there gut or throat. On guns I cant coment because it is a touchy subject you have these fake military systems here in the US that promise the world and probably hav 2 week certification at most lol. Guns are Guns I see someone with one I am running as fast and as hard as I can.

me and my freidns always train for street fights because were we live theres a lot of people hu r full of them selves and think they can fight so me and my friend imitate other peoples fighting styles that weve seen fight on the street so we are ready for a lot more than they are but i would say if you knew bjj or submission grappling it would be very useful as most people who go looking for street fights think boxing is the only way and know nothing and don't even train to fight they just think there amazing because they prob won a fight by hitting someone a good punch

I agree with you on the boxing part. You'll most likely see people punching rather than kicking. And ground fighting is just introducing something new that everyone will get their ass kicked from. Seriously, people dont know what to do on the ground.

Back