Street Fights...on the topic would BJJ help....

All I see when I read this threads is a bunch of inebriated Tank Abbott clones at their computers. It's amazing the shit I read.

theres a ton of keyboard warriors on sherdog. Thats why I dont come here very often. From what I gathered, most people in this thread dont train. Some yes, most, no.

I have learned both takedowns and takedown defense in BJJ.
I have learned how to escape the full mount in BJJ.
I have learned how to control someones posture in my guard in BJJ
I have learned how to sweep someone from my back to gain top position
I have learned how to control distance if I am down, and to stand up safely in BJJ
I have learned how to defend headlocks and chokes in BJJ.

Take that and give it to most of the guys who lost those fights in the videos from the OP, and its a different fight. I agree, no armbars from off your back. But TDD, sweeps and guard passing is so important to have, anyone who says it isnt is a dumbass.

^^^ If I bitchslap a taxi driver, whos overcharging me, thats not a street fight. The school scraps are not street fights as well...
If you`ve been around lots of violence, you should know that fights end in 30 sec. Anything longer turns into something very ugly including lots of people and police in the end. Bar fights, football hooligan fights, gang fights- you come up with BJJ, you in trouble...

GTFO sounds like justification why you don't train to me....

if your talking about about bar fights, football hooligan fights, gang fights the only thing that will help you is track and field as you better be running like hell when one happens.

My friend said the same thing about the old triangle powerbomb junk.. so I put it to the test.. I started with triangle he began to scramble as I was sinching it in. The moment he tried lifting me up I gently took my thumb and pushed it in his eye, now not to hurt him but to get his attention. Well, he didn't get to powerbomb me as he was more worried about his eye annd there wasn't enough time for him to pick me up... it was sinched.

I hate myths of the triangle

My friend said the same thing about the old triangle powerbomb junk.. so I put it to the test.. I started with triangle he began to scramble as I was sinching it in. The moment he tried lifting me up I gently took my thumb and pushed it in his eye, now not to hurt him but to get his attention. Well, he didn't get to powerbomb me as he was more worried about his eye annd there wasn't enough time for him to pick me up... it was sinched.

I hate myths of the triangle

lol
Who says you can't train eyegouges?

one part of BJJ i know won't work in the streetz is spider guard.....

back story is i was at my parent's home for labor day weekend visiting. my little bro who is 15 years younger and 80 pounds lighter than me loves to try and take my head off... i blame it on all the WWE, WWF crap they feed them on primetime television (lucky for me my mother won't let him watch UFC )

anyway we always end up wrestling like most brothers do but anyway i get a kick out of trying every single sweep i can think of.

so... throw up spider guard and lasso an arm.. while trying to decide on what slick spider guard sweep i want to pull out of my big brother bag of tricks.... he takes a short step back... and mashes my ball sack like an Italian in a grape bucket....

I think the argument is... he's a pro fighter and forgot to hook the leg, what are the chances Joe Average is going to remember.

This would be an acceptable argument if it weren't for the fact there are a lot of pro fighters who are white belts at best and don't know to hook the leg. Taking your cues from pro fighters isn't always a safe bet.

Of course, I'm assuming that by "joe average" you're talking about the average joe who trains in grappling. If you mean average joe knucklehead on the street, well they wouldn't know to grab the leg in the first place; much less remember to do it.

I admit that I haven't read all 5 pages of this garbage, but the fact is that ignorant people seem to insist that training jiu-jitsu means jumping guard, triangle chokes, armbars, etc.

Anyone who's ever trained at a legit school would know that this is FAR from the truth. Yes, you learn how to fight off of your back in jiu-jitsu, but that doesn't mean that it's your only option (or even your first option for that matter).

Jiu-Jitsu = close the distance, clinch, takedown, control, submit (being allowed to throw strikes is icing on the cake). Of course, that's a gross oversimplification, but in a real-life street situation where you can't avoid the fight; that should be your game plan.

Just throwing hands is inviting trouble. Why give the guy a chance to hit you? Any idiot off the street can throw a hard, looping haymaker or hook, but most people have no clue how to escape or control in a grappling situation.

Remember the old Machado saying about "I'm a shark. The ground is my ocean and most people don't even know how to swim"?

Just throwing hands is inviting trouble. Why give the guy a chance to hit you? Any idiot off the street can throw a hard, looping haymaker or hook, but most people have no clue how to escape or control in a grappling situation.

Remember the old Machado saying about "I'm a shark. The ground is my ocean and most people don't even know how to swim"?

I totally agree. I've met tougher dudes than me (with more street fights) who insist that a jab is the only punch they'll throw in a street fight. Why break your hand on some idiot when you can control them on the ground?

People fight when they socialize. Thats usually in bars, clubs and that means you are not alone. Thats how fights turn ugly.
If somebody is trying to mug you, he will use surprise and weapons. You dont fight knives and guns with BJJ.

Do you live in Shangai?

THIS! If street fighting = skill then Krazy Horse should have destroyed this guy.

I've had to use my BJJ once in a street fight and it was the easiest fight I've ever had in my life. 99% of the people aren't going to be able to stop your takedown and then they are fucked once you get on top.

anything can happen in a street fight

which is exactly why you must be well rounded. if you end up on your back, what are you doing to do? just pull mount?

Anyone who thinks bjj would not be useful in a one on one street fight is insane. Take downs are trained as part of bjj and 99.9999% of people on the street will not be able to stop the take down. Then it pretty much game over. The pressure a good bjj guy can put on you from the top is scary if you have not experienced it before. Even if the person on the bottom understand the significance of the guard from watching ufc or something the bjj guy is still going to slice through it in seconds. No smart person is going to pull guard in a street fight.

BJJ gives me more options in a fight.

An untrained fighter has less options.

Regardless of where we fight, or in what environment, my wider range of options means I have a greater chance of survival than before.

Pulling guard is a bad idea in a street fight. Takedowns and Top-Game BJJ will work just fine. It's not a question of BJJ - if all you know how to do well in BJJ is pull guard - well, you're a blue-belt at best.

Originally Posted by Onq
People fight when they socialize. Thats usually in bars, clubs and that means you are not alone. Thats how fights turn ugly.
If somebody is trying to mug you, he will use surprise and weapons. You dont fight knives and guns with BJJ.
but then again what style does?

Back