STREET FIGHTER V-v6:CE - 2020 Summer Update. Dan, Oro, Rose, Akira and ??? Join the cast.

6 more hours of 3rd Strike. Bless

Just curious, do you buffer your DPs or just do them on reaction?
Mostly on reaction. If I throw one or two fireballs and then try to bait a jump in with a whiffed cr. mp/hp sometimes I'll subconsciously start inputting dp during the active frames though. I still get jumped in on a lot, but I'm getting to the point where I can dp 50% or more when I see a jump coming. On the rare occasion that I manage to aa with CA that's almost always a buffer. I still get hit pretty often against people who press their jump attack a bit early.

One of the things I really need to add to my game is back dashing with a CA/dp buffer. Especially when I'm trying to avoid a throw. I have a bad habit of neutral jumping because people at my rank don't capitalize on it.

I will buffer dps on my own wakeup if I get thrown at midscreen or know they don't have real oki though. Mp dp has strike/projectile invulnerability on frame 3, so it's pretty good at blowing up pressure that isn't real.

Great video here. Speaking with Pnoy about SFV he brought up the exact same points. SFV relies heavily on frame traps and if you know how to beat 3f & 4f, it’s really all you need to get going to pressure on wake-up. Learning a rushdown like Young Zeku really enforces his view that SFV is an ‘in your face’ fighting game with no room to be defensive. Then after you get beat up on for 20 seconds you have extremely powerful V-Triggers (Ibuki, Urien, Abi etc) that give you one more fighting chance to make a comeback. All an Ibuki needs to mount a comeback is a cr.mk confirm into VT and then you’re in the 50/50 mixup blender. Really stupid IMO. What this guy is proposing I agree with 100% but it’ll completely change how the game is played.

What are your thoughts?

I have been trying to get into this game but I just dont have fun playing it like I do other fighters.

Great video here. Speaking with Pnoy about SFV he brought up the exact same points. SFV relies heavily on frame traps and if you know how to beat 3f & 4f, it’s really all you need to get going to pressure on wake-up. Learning a rushdown like Young Zeku really enforces his view that SFV is an ‘in your face’ fighting game with no room to be defensive. Then after you get beat up on for 20 seconds you have extremely powerful V-Triggers (Ibuki, Urien, Abi etc) that give you one more fighting chance to make a comeback. All an Ibuki needs to mount a comeback is a cr.mk confirm into VT and then you’re in the 50/50 mixup blender. Really stupid IMO. What this guy is proposing I agree with 100% but it’ll completely change how the game is played.

What are your thoughts?

The only thing I can think of that maybe disagrees with the video (and I say this fully aware that the guy who made it understands fighting games a lot better than I do) is that I feel like the emphasis on offense is part of what makes most of the characters in this game viable. Even the bad characters have a chance once they get the ball rolling, and part of the reason they're able to do so is precisely because it's so difficult to watch for dashes, jumps, throws, shimmys, and lows.

I think a game that goes back to neutral more often might actually lead to a less balanced cast.

It would be nice if I had a really good get-off-me block string though, especially as a zoner. I dunno, I need to think about how the frames work in block strings vs. frame traps to get a better sense of how I feel about it.

I like that he does mention the benefit of SFV's focus on pressure is that it forces you to read your opponent better. So far, I'm actually having pretty good success against the other players in the 4-5k range because they only rotate through like 3/4 options (they become somewhat predictable), and I'm getting to the point where I can read some of them pretty well after just one round.

I also completely agree with him concerning proximity normals. I don't like that idea.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of that maybe disagrees with the video (and I say this fully aware that the guy who made it understands fighting games a lot better than I do) is that I feel like the emphasis on offense is part of what makes most of the characters in this game viable. Even the bad characters have a chance once they get the ball rolling, and part of the reason they're able to do so is precisely because it's so difficult to watch for dashes, jumps, throws, shimmys, and lows.

I think a game that goes back to neutral more often might actually lead to a less balanced cast.

It would be nice if I had a really good get-off-me block string though, especially as a zoner. I dunno, I need to think about how the frames work in block strings vs. frame traps to get a better sense of how I feel about it.

I like that he does mention the benefit of SFV's focus on pressure is that it forces you to read your opponent better. So far, I'm actually having pretty good success against the other players in the 4-5k range because they only rotate through like 3/4 options (they become somewhat predictable), and I'm getting to the point where I can read some of them pretty well after just one round.

I also completely agree with him concerning proximity normals. I don't like that idea.

Yea, thats a good point. The pushback in the game is minimal and every character needs to get in to win. The defensive options are very lack luster and I would appreciate something new to help you not get steam rolled in the corner. You did put yourself there, but if you don't know where you're at with regards to a + / - situation you're going to get dunked. SFV is very heavily momentum based and like you said anyone of the cast can get you once they get the ball rolling. This makes the game very linear. There is very few options to play a character differently than someone else might play him. There are exceptions (Zeku, Ryu, Menat and probably even Sagat to some extent) but then you look at someone like Rashid and he's played the same across the board. Mainly because his gameplan against the cast is pretty much the same, but once you see one Rashid you've seen them all. It gets kind of boring to watch.

He did bring up the Battle Director being a Guilty Gear player who's character was rushdown which is why SFV was made that way. I think you can possibly place a little blame on Woshige but at the end of the day it was Capcom's decision to make the game 85% rushdown with a 90% chance of winning via 'comback mechanic'. When people say that SFV frustrates them more than any other SF, I can see why. The comback mechanic in the game is insane. I just lost to a Mika because all she needed was 1 CC and a corner carry and I was toast. It'll be interesting to see how Season 4 pans out. I'm hoping some new mechanics make it on board. If they're coming they should be out by end of January or mid Feb considering that Final Round is in March and it gives the players 2 months to practice.

havent played in 6 months got stuck playing 30th anniversary wanna git good again. dmoney8912 is my psn if anyone plays late nights west coast time.

havent played in 6 months got stuck playing 30th anniversary wanna git good again. dmoney8912 is my psn if anyone plays late nights west coast time.

@Thunderhead and I often play around 7-8 during times of the week. I’ll add you if I see you on.

So I've been planning on re-buying SFV and it's on sale right now. SFV is $9.99 and AE is $19.99.. is it worth it to buy the Arcade Edition if I've already owned the first day version, which I believe had arcade edition as a free upgrade, but I had only unlocked like.. 4 characters, maybe? I'd still need to buy the damn season 3 characters.

Basically I'm just confused what the AE actually is if I've already owned SFV. Just a character unlock (of whoever I haven't gotten yet from season 2) at this point?

So I've been planning on re-buying SFV and it's on sale right now. SFV is $9.99 and AE is $19.99.. is it worth it to buy the Arcade Edition if I've already owned the first day version, which I believe had arcade edition as a free upgrade, but I had only unlocked like.. 4 characters, maybe? I'd still need to buy the damn season 3 characters.

Basically I'm just confused what the AE actually is if I've already owned SFV. Just a character unlock (of whoever I haven't gotten yet from season 2) at this point?

Looks like you get S1&2 with AE. S3 you’re going to have to grind for, but it’s doable for just one season. There hasn’t been any word on S4 at the moment. If they don’t announce anything soon, my guess would be at Final Round. Typically they wait 2 months from the last announcement, so they could announce their plans Mid-February.

Most people would agree that the game has progressively gotten better. It’s too early to tell from a pro standpoint but everyone I’ve seen comment says so far this balance patch has been great. I live in San Diego, I set my connection to 5 only and get great matches most of the time. Overall, if you like highly offensive fighting games, you should like this one. The neutral is better now that Crush Counters were nerfed, but it’s still a steam rolling game with the objective of smothering you’re opponent until they hit a button.

Attachments

• 743F94CE-12EC-4ABC-95A8-D651BD973528.png
    743F94CE-12EC-4ABC-95A8-D651BD973528.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
I love watching YouTube videos of Street Fighter V.

However, I still wish that there were more fans of Capcom vs. SNK 2.

I am officially done with Ed. Can't stand what Capcom has done with this guy, or rather, has NOT done for this guy. With every update, it seems that he's falling farther behind the curve in respects to the other characters.

Swam, you needn't rethread a v7 in a few posts when you hit 1000 if you don't wish to. Congrats on another milestone; up to you how you'd like SF V Disc to keep going so just let me know if and how I can help.

Cheers

@SwamiLeoni

Swam, you needn't rethread a v7 in a few posts when you hit 1000 if you don't wish to. Congrats on another milestone; up to you how you'd like SF V Disc to keep going so just let me know if and how I can help.

Cheers

@SwamiLeoni

Thanks man, it’s been a team effort. Typically I like to start a new thread with a new Season but Season 4 hasn’t been announced. Although the game and involvement has died down, we still have some dedicated players and viewers on Sherdog who help keep these threads alive and kicking. We can leave this thread running until something bigger drops like a SSFV:AE release, but I don’t see that happening in the near future. Thanks for reaching out.

Back