"Street fight"

Now, I'm mostly with the guys on Sherdog. I'm no fantasizer; I know that against a gun or knife, your chances are slim.

But, as a former Krav Maga student, let me shed some light on it. I may have left Krav Maga, but my reason for doing so was because I'm 16 years old and I live in the suburbs. Streetfights where I have to seriously worry about my life are rare around here; the most I've experienced is a locker room disagreement that ended with me guillotining someone. I'm more interested in competition fighting, so I turned to MMA.

Krav Maga however, is probably the first self defense system (it's really self defense, not fighting) that takes a realistic approach to knife defense.

Take a close look at what Mirada said. He never saw the knife. 9 out of 10 knife victims will tell you the same damn thing. That's what we were always taught at Krav. Because of that, in Krav Maga, all punches are treated as knife attacks. There are defenses for if you see the knife, but because that's rare, most of the knife defenses are the same as punch defenses.

Looping, haymaker type punches are blocked with the forearm. But not exaggerated karate style. It's quick, and you immediately counter with an elbow to the face. That was the cool thing about Krav Maga. The defense was always simple and easy to remember. They didn't bother with teaching you the rest. They taught "Combatives," which were basically all the punches, kicks, elbows, palm strikes, hammerfists, knees, etc., and once you got rid of the immediate threat (being choked, being punched), you make up the rest as you go along with your combatives. So you stop the oncoming punch/stab and counter, and from there just go all out until he stops moving or until you can run away.

No, I don't think Krav Maga, or any self defense system is an omnipotent cure to all violent attacks. But like my idol Bas Rutten always says "If you don't shoot, you'll always miss."

That's all I'm going to say about the whole thing, because I saw RBSD (Reality Based Self Defense) systems coming into discussion here, so I thought I'd use it as an opportunity to explain Krav Maga, because it's gotten such a bad rap on these forums. Mirada, I'm not going to tell you what you could have or should have done. Firstly because I don't think there was much that you could have done, and secondly because even if there was, you wouldn't give a shit. And if I was in the same position, I wouldn't give a shit either. You could've died because of some idiot with a knife, and the last thing you wanna hear is some Self-Defense guru or a keyboard warrior who's never gotten in any real street fights telling you "Well if you did this this and this, you could've stopped him."

I remember a couple of years ago hearing about an incident where Frank Shamrock confronted a guy in a parking lot after some sort of unpleasantness at a store and the guy swung for Frank. Frank apparently popped him twice and then the guy went to his car and got a blade out. Frank allegedly ran like hell because as tough as he may be, even he didn't want to fuck with a pissed off guy with a knife.

Yea you cant do shit when your that outnumbered and definitaly not when they have a knife. no kind of training can really help. well best wishes and you did what i would do fight and run

first of all it was 6 on 12 and u were 6 jj guys and u acted like wimps imo-----how about a few jabs/puncjhes or whatever to the throat----how about grabbing an ear or lip and diving to ground without letting go- how about ur boys not helping u when u obviously needed it---r u kidding me u train for hours at jj and it helped u not one bit----oh i forgot it gave u muscle to not get hurt by the knife---no no u didnt get hurt becausse the ass didnt have a clue how to stab----u guys shopuld have killed the fuckers are u kidding me---i have been in fights with 5 fellow Marines and have been outnumbered by more than 12-6 and we won----why?---because we teed off on one poor ass and nearly kill him and the others either get so preoccupied on saving their buddies life or they scatter----u need to get more offense----and instead of slowly backing up blindly why not run as fast as u can----u said u were trying to get out of there which is the right move---why fight if u dont have to but slowly back up is not getting out of dodge---so ur initial defense sucked as well and ur offense well there wasnt any----i would not be telling people that story and try to pass myself off as a jj expert----i cant believe others havent trashed u hard----and why not put the guy int he er to sleep

jimmy38 said:
first of all it was 6 on 12 and u were 6 jj guys and u acted like wimps imo-----how about a few jabs/puncjhes or whatever to the throat----how about grabbing an ear or lip and diving to ground without letting go- how about ur boys not helping u when u obviously needed it---r u kidding me u train for hours at jj and it helped u not one bit----oh i forgot it gave u muscle to not get hurt by the knife---no no u didnt get hurt becausse the ass didnt have a clue how to stab----u guys shopuld have killed the fuckers are u kidding me---i have been in fights with 5 fellow Marines and have been outnumbered by more than 12-6 and we won----why?---because we teed off on one poor ass and nearly kill him and the others either get so preoccupied on saving their buddies life or they scatter----u need to get more offense----and instead of slowly backing up blindly why not run as fast as u can----u said u were trying to get out of there which is the right move---why fight if u dont have to but slowly back up is not getting out of dodge---so ur initial defense sucked as well and ur offense well there wasnt any----i would not be telling people that story and try to pass myself off as a jj expert----i cant believe others havent trashed u hard----and why not put the guy int he er to sleep

Oh boy. Start running. I'll try to hold 'em off as best I can.

at least thats more than any of his friends did---it sounds like they did nada but get their asses handed to them and then didnt do shit when they had 6 on 1 in the er-----and they just got knifed and kicked by 12 guys but couldnt identify the one in the er-----what the hell were they looking at while getting destroyed----there feet

i have had a lot of krav maga training and putt hat style above all for street fights----it teaches u to end it quickly---not to mess around trying to grapple anyone nevermind one guy when theres 11 more coming behind him-----anyone whos been in a real fight knows how demoralizing it is to a side when one or two of them go down fast and hard----trying to hold on to one guy is not the answer or even remotely smart----sounds like these 6 guys go to a storefront dojo---we all know the kind---u know u pay thru the nose and all the sensei cares about is money and hands out belts to anyone who can pay and do the moves and routines----i went to a jj school in new york---never havinb studied it before and we were doing ounch drills in the air---which i hate anyways ---but i notoced i was slower than anyone in the class and was thinkin how can this be have i gotten this much out of shape---then the sensei went around with pads and i could barely hear the pads being hit---the reason i was off count and slower was i was throwing real punches and the rest werent---they were just trying to be faster throwing ghost ounches--then the sensei steps in front of me and i almost put him on his ass by hitting the pads because he wasnt ready----now i know their are guys here who know what im talking about---if u cant bring it seriously when u need to then why do it in the first place----if u train jj religiously you should be able to bring it better than he described is my point or hes wasting his time and money--and anyome who thinks otherwise is crazy---obviously his training did j=him no good in fact sounds like it did more harm than good

and iceman im shocked hearing ur shit from a guy who claims to have krav maga training----because i took it for yrs and i learned how to fight when i had to---i did also say the smart thing is get away without fighting---but if i have to fight i know the krav maga training will help me more than any of his jj training helped him---and for record i am a combat vet who has had plenty of situations where i had to bring it fast and hard-----and i really believe that i would have done more in his situation or i would have been home without any fight----but to spend ur time training and then have it not help u one bit in the worst situation or fight u have ever been in is a sign that its not working-----unless u only study an art to fight in a ring with a point system and a ref there then i guess u should learn how to talk ur way out of a fight or learn to run fats--very fast

Jimmy38, please stop posting, I think I just had a minor stroke and lost about 80 IQ points trying to read that garbage. Mirada doesn't pretend he is a jiujitsu expert, he's a 19 year old mod and studies jiujitsu but he doesn't pretend he's Rickson. He's got a messed up knee and fucking got cornered, it's not like he's a brand new T-1000. You on the other hand seem to believe Krav Maga gives you Steven Segal like powers to destroy person after person. I'm not disputing you may have combat experience, but he clearly doesn't and really shouldn'ty since he's a young guy who's not in the armed forces.

Seriously, learn to type and try make your points a little more eloquently, trying to take what you have posted seriously let alone trying to understand it is some work in itself. Plus patronising a guy when he's got a fucking stab wound... wow, what a compassionate soul you are.

I think you and Aikido dude should go have a circle jerk somewhere over how you'd never ever get stabbed using your superior knowledge and then head over to LA and team up to take down all the gangs Double Dragon style, see how it works out for you.

Jimmy, man. 12 is a very conservative estimate, and that's just how many people were in the front line, there was another whole fucking crowd of them behind that in reserve.

Only three of us were over 170, and everyone but me (who has a knee injury) had fought in a long tournament that morning.

Furthermore we WERE in a group and ready to help each other out, I got seperated from that group by the fucking tree, and by the time they realized I was missing, I had already fought my way back out of the crowd.

A lot of you are missing a key element of this situation, The whole goddamn thing took less than 5 seconds that isn't enough TIME for a kung fu rescue, it's barely enough time to notice someone's missing in the first place.

Superbeast said:
I think you and Aikido dude should go have a circle jerk somewhere over how you'd never ever get stabbed using your superior knowledge and then head over to LA and team up to take down all the gangs Double Dragon style, see how it works out for you.

Don't put words in my mouth, I never said I had superior knowledge and would never get stabbed. I just said good Aikido training (places where they do realistic training and randori) is better for mutiple attackers than grappling. I never said you would be able to defeat 20 people with Aikido either, I just said it trained you at a certain distance to help avoid attacks by mutiple people and to position yourself for escape, and also situational awareness. A good striking art may also be good for this, but grappling has limitations, it is great training but is not suited for every situation. And i am saying this as somone who practices BJJ and Judo.

I think I am correct, feel free to disagree but I would be interested in hearing how you think grappling is better for this type of encounter.

jimmy38 said:

Who in the hell is this guy? Seriously.

Ude_Garami said:
Don't put words in my mouth, I never said I had superior knowledge and would never get stabbed. I just said good Aikido training (places where they do realistic training and randori) is better for mutiple attackers than grappling. I never said you would be able to defeat 20 people with Aikido either, I just said it trained you at a certain distance to help avoid attacks by mutiple people and to position yourself for escape, and also situational awareness. A good striking art may also be good for this, but grappling has limitations, it is great training but is not suited for every situation. And i am saying this as somone who practices BJJ and Judo.

I think I am correct, feel free to disagree but I would be interested in hearing how you think grappling is better for this type of encounter.

It's not. A gun or baseball bat is. Trying to fend off a weapon with your bare hands is not a good idea to begin with. I wouldn't try strike with a Muay Thai pro, I wouldn't try outroll a BJJ black belt, and I wouldn't engage in an armed confrontation unless I had something also. That's what the police are for.

Jimmy, u sound like if u were "superman" and should be taken to the canvas immediately. Actually u have seen too many of these Marvel movies. The Fantastic 4 is on the movies now...by the way u should take some typing lessons. l cant read that shit u are putting here.

Ude_Garami said:

Oh yeah yeah yeah i think i saw steven segal take out more then 1 guy in exit wounds.. i think DMX actualy even had a sword. DUH u guys AKIDO would do damage like no other.

I wonder what dmx trained in cause.. what mirada could of done was run up the tree do a double back flip and split kick that could of atleast taken out two of them.. then pulled knives from the hidden compartment in his sleaves and take out another two..

forget all that though, just give steven seagal a call and tell him you got some mexicans you want MARKED FOR DEATH.

Gsoares said:
I wonder what dmx trained in cause.. what mirada could of done was run up the tree do a double back flip and split kick that could of atleast taken out two of them.. then pulled knives from the hidden compartment in his sleaves and take out another two..

forget all that though, just give steven seagal a call and tell him you got some mexicans you want MARKED FOR DEATH.

Yes.

How could I have forgotten my tree flipping skills and deadly shuriken blades.

My other problem is I'm not black enough, or a gangsta rapper. Otherwsie I'd have had those fucks handled.

When is Eminem going to start doing kung fu movies? All the other rappers do.

jimmy38 said:
...how about grabbing an ear or lip and diving to ground without letting go...

Are you fucking retarded? I may not have a doctorate in ass-whoopology, but that is about the dumbest fucking thing he could have done in that situation. Going to the ground would have simply immobilized him while the others used his head as a soccer ball or stabbed him to death.

Superbeast said:
...then head over to LA and team up to take down all the gangs Double Dragon style, see how it works out for you.

Double Dragon style!!! Oh god, that is too funny!

:D

Back