"Street fight"

I think it shows the vulnerability of flesh to a sharp knife, grappling can be effective but even the best guard in the world won't help you if the guys got a box cutter or butterfly knife. Even aikido would be worthless if the guy had a large enough blade and you were more likely to lose your own hand or get your wrists sliced when you reached for one of his.

Ude_Garami said:
Yes some Aikido schools do randori with multiple attackers. You learn to keep moving and avoid their attacks by putting yourself in a better position. It is not as ridiculous as you think. My Aikido instructor never pretended you would be able to throw and immobilze groups of people, but you could train to avoid things like being stabbed and getting yourself to a safer place if possible. I think grappling is great and should be a priority in training due to the live sparring and strength it builds but arts like Aikido, when trained right, do have some things to offer.

Every art has weaknesses and this scenerio shows the vulnerability of grappling.

jesus christ. somebody shut this guy up. thread starter just barely escaped with his life and now you're standing over him wagging your finger at him, tsk tsk tsk.

Mirada said:
I think the clinch was beneficial in that it shielded many of my vitals as I tried to escape, it may not have been the best strategy, but my other options by the time I reacted were to stand and strike with 3 or 4 guys, cornered against a tree.

I think the clinch was beneficial. without your training the instinctive reaction probably would have been to cower against the tree and cover up with your hands. then you would have been fucked.

i disagree with the other poster that said that they probably stabbed you because they saw you get the better of one of your guys. i think would have stabbed you anyway if you didn't attack and just covered up, or else just ran away. i've been in fights where we would be like three or four against just one guy. the guy would get fucked up bad because he'd turn his back or cover up and then we'd get the jump on him.

all things considered it seems like you made a good fighting retreat. running like hell is the best option when you're in the clear. but when ur surrounded, you got to defend first, secure your ass, before you turn your back on them.

Ude_Garami said:
Yes some Aikido schools do randori with multiple attackers. You learn to keep moving and avoid their attacks by putting yourself in a better position. It is not as ridiculous as you think. My Aikido instructor never pretended you would be able to throw and immobilze groups of people, but you could train to avoid things like being stabbed and getting yourself to a safer place if possible. I think grappling is great and should be a priority in training due to the live sparring and strength it builds but arts like Aikido, when trained right, do have some things to offer.

Every art has weaknesses and this scenerio shows the vulnerability of grappling.

shut the fuck up bitch.

Man shit like this sucks. I recommend not drinking, this could have been avoided if you and your buddies had clear heads.

Ude_Garami said:

You know what shows the vulnerability of Aikido?

Fighting.

Mirada said:
You know what shows the vulnerability of Aikido?

Fighting.

MiradOWNED!!!!!!foooooooo!!!!!!!!ahhhhh! :D

To aikido guy: (sorry for the caps, I'm actually a pretty nice guy) HE CAME OUT OF THAT PARTICULAR SITUATION EXTREMELY LUCKY, AND FROM THE EVIDENCE HE GAVE IN HIS ORIGINAL STORY, IT APPEARS HE DID PRECICELY THE RIGHT THING, AND AT WORST THE SECOND BEST THING. YOU WERE NOT THERE, AND DO NOT KNOW THE ANGLE OF THE ATTACKERS, THE LOCATION OF EVERYONE IN THE GROUP, AND YOU WERE SURE AS HELL NOT KNOCKED SILLY BY THE UNLUCKY DEATH TREE, FORCED TO REACT TO A SITUATION THAT HAPPENED BEFORE IT WAS POSSIBLE TO REACT.

Do not criticize that which you cannot understand.

Examine thyself, and good luck with your chosen art.

Mirada, you're a man of action, fuckin' a well done and good instinct. Heal well.

yeah fucken aikido would have taught a person to bend over and take some other kind of stabbings if you know what i mean, fuck it ill tell you, Ude_Garami would have had a sore ass the next morning

I am not criticizing him and I don't even practice Aikido anymore, I do Judo and BJJ. I was just saying grappling is not the best idea in a multi attacker situation, whether they had knives or not. Maybe he did the right thing, I don't know, but I was just making a general point about grappling. Getting the fuck out of the way is the first thing to do and Aikido randori teaches you the body movements to accomplish that efficiently. Maybe he would have avoided the tree if he practiced some Aikido, who knows. With a one on one fight against a trained grappler Aikido has no chance but it does teach you good body position and movements for self defense when grappling is not ideal. Thats all I was saying. Don't be so closed minded.

Ude_Garami said:
Maybe he would have avoided the tree if he practiced some Aikido, who knows. .

This has got to be a gimmick. I don't think anyone is THAT dumb.

Ohhhh wait, it's sherdog isn't it? Carry on.

Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics Pics

wow Mirada, that is one of the top reasons that I train, so if a situation like that occures I will be ready. I hope you heal up quickly bro.

Latino's seem to always carry knives. I Bounce at sevaral clubs and about a month ago there was a fight at one of the other clubs the security firm I work for does.

In short, 3 latinos got into a fight, were asked to leave. Attacked the bouncers (my friends). One of them had a knife and another had a box cutter.

They do pat downs at the door (expecially good ones on ppl that look shady) so they obviously had them hidden in their crotch somewhere and were intending on using them.

One of my friends needed over 100 stitches across his chest, another needed 20 in his leg and the third got all of the tendons in his right hand cut and is going to have life long problems because of it.

The end result was the guy with the knife got stabbed to death by another bouncer (who's now being charged with manslaughter).

One guy got away and the last one was chased down and beaten until they thought he was dead.

Knives are bad and should be left at home.

latinos are for the most part small people that dont know how to fight (dont even start mentioning all the boxer names) on the streets they/we? cant fight so they use knifes. makes them feel big. But they are nothing but cowards

Sucks man.

People who carry knives are pussies.

But I especially like the part about not being a fool and staying in school.

Eric O said:
Latino's seem to always carry knives. I Bounce at sevaral clubs and about a month ago there was a fight at one of the other clubs the security firm I work for does.

In short, 3 latinos got into a fight, were asked to leave. Attacked the bouncers (my friends). One of them had a knife and another had a box cutter.

They do pat downs at the door (expecially good ones on ppl that look shady) so they obviously had them hidden in their crotch somewhere and were intending on using them.

One of my friends needed over 100 stitches across his chest, another needed 20 in his leg and the third got all of the tendons in his right hand cut and is going to have life long problems because of it.

The end result was the guy with the knife got stabbed to death by another bouncer (who's now being charged with manslaughter).

One guy got away and the last one was chased down and beaten until they thought he was dead.

Knives are bad and should be left at home.

That sucks.

Boxer Rebellion said:
all things considered it seems like you made a good fighting retreat. running like hell is the best option when you're in the clear. but when ur surrounded, you got to defend first, secure your ass, before you turn your back on them.

I agree. Running immediately would have been the best option, but not when you're already surrounded.

I think Boxer describes what Mirada did best - a "fighting retreat."

Back