Street Defense- Offensive or Defensive

hate to break it to some of you but not going to the ground won't stop his buddies from sucker punching you in the back of the head... a 3 on 1 fight will almost always end with you bloody unless you run like hell.

i would love to have sleeve and collar control... and hit a sweet ippon seoi nage... then get some quick knee on face action before i ran like i was on fire...

the bas rutten system of back aganist the wall and just knocking everyone out is the best strategy ive heard

The way everyone talks it's as if fights happen everyday. I've only been in two situations where a fight could have emerged and each time it would have only been me and one guy. People would not have interfered as both situations were at parties with mutual friends.

TS brings an interesting point, with adrenaline going you have to figure most would keep swinging. I could see some people trying to break there fall, but every individual and situation is different so it's hard to say.

Ive never gotten in fights when there were more than 1 person fighting me but i would imagine that 2vs1 on the ground wouldnt work at all. Nevertheless, When i get in fights at school and such with bigger kids i will usually just do a judo throw and maybe kick him once in the face when hes on the ground.

I would probably hold on to someone who is taking me down and wriggle to stop myself taking the total impact and would then try and be offensive once I hit the ground.

Never been in a street fight, but I'd use everything in the dirtbag....eye gouges, scraping across the face, spitting, and of course if it gets to the ground.. I can always count on my BJJ or my fuckin teeth. Any body part of his that is next to my mouth is getting bitten...no doubt...

lol wat

since when is spitting considered hurtful, lethal, or fighting?

i would go for takedown, be on top, get hooks in legs and then GNP like there's no tomorrow. If he's still putting up a fight and lots of energy left, I'd try and go for a sub and not just tap him out, but I'd definitely snap something (as obvious as that sounds)

lol wat

since when is spitting considered hurtful, lethal, or fighting?

i would go for takedown, be on top, get hooks in legs and then GNP like there's no tomorrow. If he's still putting up a fight and lots of energy left, I'd try and go for a sub and not just tap him out, but I'd definitely snap something (as obvious as that sounds)

it's insulting and a distracting....i dunno, i just like to spit at peeps....

exactly i was in a fight with a bunch of jacked polish dudes and one swept my legs from behind i went for a armbar out of instinct his boy soccer kicked me in the head.
The guard is strictly defensive in a streetfight.

So what ended up happening? Did you break his arm, get knocked out or take a kick and break his arm?

So I guess a BJJ guy would have to learn how to accept a few punches and elbows to the face and behind the head and back. About 10 seconds at most . Unless the guy is a hopper. I love hoppers on a single leg cause I hook the other leg and they go down hard..

You would also have to learn how to accept a few eyepokes, fishooks, headbutts, nosehooks, and knife attacks.

I would stick to Carlson's style of getting the takedown and staying on top in a streetfight if you had to go to the ground.

In general in a streetfight you want to keep it standing at all costs since there could be multiple attackers.

The way everyone talks it's as if fights happen everyday. I've only been in two situations where a fight could have emerged and each time it would have only been me and one guy. People would not have interfered as both situations were at parties with mutual friends.

TS brings an interesting point, with adrenaline going you have to figure most would keep swinging. I could see some people trying to break there fall, but every individual and situation is different so it's hard to say.

This is probably true in the US where the majority of people live in the suburbs and use there car to get everywhere. For the most part you are not going to get a fight unless it's at a bar or at a party.

In Europe however, street fights and being jumped seem more common because of the high population density, people walking everywhere (not protected by driving in a car), and lack of guns (you can't really fight a guy carrying a gun, and a guy with a gun is less likely to use it since there's a good possibility they could kill you which would elevate the crime). Multiple attackers and knife crime are much more likely scenario's too.

So what ended up happening? Did you break his arm, get knocked out or take a kick and break his arm?

I let go to cover my head. The other guy just stayed on top and yelled while I just keep my arms on his and let him think he was winning. Once they displayed there dominance they left

This all sounds good and all but until you get into a real fights you can not predict what will happen.

Last edited:
So I guess a BJJ guy would have to learn how to accept a few punches and elbows to the face and behind the head and back. About 10 seconds at most . Unless the guy is a hopper. I love hoppers on a single leg cause I hook the other leg and they go down hard..

Wrong...

This is probably true in the US where the majority of people live in the suburbs and use there car to get everywhere. For the most part you are not going to get a fight unless it's at a bar or at a party.

In Europe however, street fights and being jumped seem more common because of the high population density, people walking everywhere (not protected by driving in a car), and lack of guns (you can't really fight a guy carrying a gun, and a guy with a gun is less likely to use it since there's a good possibility they could kill you which would elevate the crime). Multiple attackers and knife crime are much more likely scenario's too.
Have you been to "Europe"?

Back