Street Defense- Offensive or Defensive

879lexus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In a street fight, a person (non-bjj) who is being taken down, do they worry about hitting the floor and defend against that OR do just keep punching and being offensive...

I would think the non-bjj would stop being offensive if the bjj-guy has a single-leg or something and try not to be taken down.

In a street fight, a person (non-bjj) who is being taken down, do they worry about hitting the floor and defend against that OR do just keep punching and being offensive...

I would think the non-bjj would stop being offensive if the bjj-guy has a single-leg or something and try not to be taken down.

My guess is that if you grabbed a single, theyd continue to go ape sh** and keep smacking you in the back or in the head thinking "haha i'm hitting him while hes humping my leg".

the average person has ZERO knowledge of any grappling aside from grab head and hold on for dear life

they will probably keep hitting you if you are going for a takedown or try to grab your head and squeeze

So I guess a BJJ guy would have to learn how to accept a few punches and elbows to the face and behind the head and back. About 10 seconds at most . Unless the guy is a hopper. I love hoppers on a single leg cause I hook the other leg and they go down hard..

So I guess a BJJ guy would have to learn how to accept a few punches and elbows to the face and behind the head and back. About 10 seconds at most . Unless the guy is a hopper. I love hoppers on a single leg cause I hook the other leg and they go down hard..

if you should finish a single leg in less then 2 seconds against an untrained guy if you know anything at all.

There are a few "most common behaviors" dependingon what you are doing to take them down and how quickly you are doing it. Regardless, any time you fight you should expect to get punched(because you will). The idea is to close the distance and limit the power of, and the number of punches they can get off while you establish dominant position and wait for the right moment to end the fight.

Before i got into martial arts i defended a takedown (or what really amounted to a tackle) for dear life because i was not trying to hit my head on the concrete personally. That and the last thing in the world i wanted was to have someother dude on top of me tryin to punch me before i even had the slightest clue how to defend myself off my back.

he would hold on your head and try to avoid the tkd. once on the ground, he will punch you in the face from his back

In my experience they do one of two things: They keep trying to hit you even as they are falling down or they grab a head lock and hold on.

I don't know about a single leg though. I have never actually done that outside of a grappling match. Lots of doubles and body lock takedowns but never a single.

Well... lets see for ourselves what happens in this situation...

NEVER go to the ground in a street fight.

While you're going for a sick sub his drunk buddy is going to curb stomp your face.

While you're going for a sick sub his drunk buddy is going to curb stomp your face.

Never say never. I am 5'8" and if I am fighting a 6'4" guy lighting up my face, it is time to take it to the ground. Also what is the situation? Do I want to cave his head in or control him? Also a takedown doesn't mean I am staying on the ground. I could drop him on his ass, get knee on belly and pound him out, while staying relatively aware of other attackers.

Pulling guard and looking for an armbar isn't really brilliant but as a grappler there are ways, and reasons, that could make takedowns the right choice.

What some of the dudes who hate thinking about grappling and BJJ for the reason that "if there's more than one guy, it's all useless" fail to realize that learning the ground game also helps you have a better chance of getting off your back and right back on your feet. If the guy on the ground didn't have training in grappling, the guy on top would surely have total advantage.

It's stupid to pull guard if there are people around who may curb stomp you, so it's better to do something better on the clinch than pulling guard. Clinch grappling helps a lot in not only grappling or takedowns, but also striking (some sambo and wrestling dudes who did pro boxing supposedly said that it helped them a lot - Jack Dempsey is one such person).

So yeah to defend yourself well in both street and MMA, knowledge of three things would be advantageous: standup, clinch, and ground game. Or at least do well enough to avoid one in order to do the other.

Never been in a street fight, but I'd use everything in the dirtbag....eye gouges, scraping across the face, spitting, and of course if it gets to the ground.. I can always count on my BJJ or my fuckin teeth. Any body part of his that is next to my mouth is getting bitten...no doubt...

or you could just go knee on belly and punch/knee/kick his face into oblivion

or maybe the will chop you up with a chainsaw.

Can we ever bring up a real fight without someone saying "oh, you gonna fight 10 guys" or "uh, he got a gun you better learn how to run"

I mean seriously, this is the dumbest shit ever. the best you can ever do is train to be the best fighter you can.

Yeah, some guy's drunk buddy wants some he better hope i am not with a group of my friends and he better hope that I don't knock the guy out when i have mount on him and am punching the shit out of him.

Some guy wants to pull a gun, he better kill me because I would try to kill him.

a bunch of people want to fight me, then they better hope that I do not rip out one of there eye balls out.
Fighting a group of people, you have to show them that you will do what they will not.
People are not so brave when they see someone get an eyeball bit into.

People are not so brave when they see someone get an eyeball bit into.

Quote of the fucking year...sweet !!! .....If you're not the type to even think of fighting (like me) and someone pushes you to the point of threatening you or your family physically and there's no way to run or talk your way out of it....I would do just what the above quote says.....no holds bared... I would use my fuckin teeth to rip an ear off, or even better a nose....oh and don't forget fingers...

elbows to the back of the head probably

exactly i was in a fight with a bunch of jacked polish dudes and one swept my legs from behind i went for a armbar out of instinct his boy soccer kicked me in the head.
The guard is strictly defensive in a streetfight.

If you hump his leg for enough time for him to do any damage, you are doing it wrong.

Back