Streches for rubber guard

there are a bunch of stretches at the beginning of MTRG right after he proclaims how great it is to smoke weed.

Already said but the part about the hips is key, if you do grab your leg with your hand you also need make sure you hip point of contact with the ground is rotating or you will pull something.

If you're gonna take a tip from Ryan Hall, you might as well avoid rubber guard. He says himself that he stopped using it, and that it is really very inefficient. If you're going to do a 'leg grab' kind of guard, use the Williams guard instead. Much more effective.

Agreed. I find Shawn Williams guard to be more useful. Hip flexibility is still necessary for that though.

Staff pose, seated wide angle forward bend, cobbler's pose (butterfly), and half-pigeon pose would do well to get your more flexible. There are some more advanced yoga postures you can do once your hips open a bit.

Ah, so Ron Jeremy probably has a decent rubber guard.

Actually, I used to train with Ryan when he was still with Lloyd Irvin and when he'd be stretching and putting his legs behind his head some of the people would joke he was in the wrong business :icon_chee

Shawn williams guard used to be in the tenth planet system as a position called london.

It was too easy to pass. they took it out.

here's why:
YouTube - London: Why it no longer is in the the 10th Planet System

1. You don't think the world class black belts that use the Williams guard successfully have an answer for this? Even if he does manage to step over, you should be able to go to X-guard or take his back pretty easily.
2. Mission Control is much easier to pass.
3. Again, the Williams guard is actually used successfully at the highest levels. Rubber guard, not so much.

Agreed. I find Shawn Williams guard to be more useful. Hip flexibility is still necessary for that though.

If you make sure to put a foot in his hip first and get your hips out to one side, instead of just staying square with your opponent and grabbing your leg (which makes the leg hook very ineffective against a guy who knows to stay tight and block your hip movement), I don't think flexibility becomes much of an issue.

1. You don't think the world class black belts that use the Williams guard successfully have an answer for this? Even if he does manage to step over, you should be able to go to X-guard or take his back pretty easily.
I don't really see the opening to do that, but I'm sure high level guys could do something, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But they're hands are stuck together under the leg, they wouldn't be able to just let them cartwheel. if they let them cartwheel they're in a bad position. they would prevent it from happening or get their guard passed.

2. Mission Control is much easier to pass.
I don't really think so. Whenever I get to mission control with the foot on the hip, all they can do is stack. the stack really slows me down and sometimes i have to shouldercrawl back to get the proper distance, but it's not the end of the world. Without the foot on the hip tho I get fucked up by the stack. easily lose position.
Mission control is just the start. once that hand is on the mat options really start opening up.
3. Again, the Williams guard is actually used successfully at the highest levels. Rubber guard, not so much.
I feel like in grappling competition rubber guard isn't very effective. in mma where if someone's in your mission control you can just keep punching them until they try and punch back, at which point the options open up.

With that being said eddie's 2 black belts have only been black belts for 8~ months.

I don't really see the opening to do that, but I'm sure high level guys could do something, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But they're hands are stuck together under the leg, they wouldn't be able to just let them cartwheel. if they let them cartwheel they're in a bad position. they would prevent it from happening or get their guard passed.

I don't really think so. Whenever I get to mission control with the foot on the hip, all they can do is stack. the stack really slows me down and sometimes i have to shouldercrawl back to get the proper distance, but it's not the end of the world. Without the foot on the hip tho I get fucked up by the stack. easily lose position.
Mission control is just the start. once that hand is on the mat options really start opening up.

I feel like in grappling competition rubber guard isn't very effective. in mma where if someone's in your mission control you can just keep punching them until they try and punch back, at which point the options open up.

With that being said eddie's 2 black belts have only been black belts for 8~ months.

How long has JT Torres and the Mendes bros been black belts?

How long has JT Torres and the Mendes bros been black belts?

What's your point? That they are amazing grapplers with such little time?

Are you saying that every black belt should be as good as JT? LOL

...just like how everyone should get a black belt in 3 years like BJ

some people are just better

You don't see the opening in that video to go out the backdoor or establish X-guard? The arm might be 'stuck' in the sense that I don't have time to stiff-arm his hip, but I can definitely pull it free to underhook his leg when he steps over. As long as I use my butterfly hook to stop his trailing leg from finishing the cartwheel, he can step over with his lead leg all he wants - I'm probably going to sweep him from X-guard or take his back.

Again, though, I'm pretty sure guys like Williams might have neat ways of avoiding that cartwheel to begin with.

Who says all they can do is stack? Almost every time I see someone (even guys like Bollinger) pulling mission control in competitions, the other guy just postures violently and breaks the hold. Also, I can still pass if you put my hand on the mat. The S

Back