Streches for rubber guard

SSM31

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
What are the best stretches that I can do to achieve rubber guard

Stretch your arm to the phonebook and look up your local BJJ academy.

To stretch your knee out, have a friend heel hook you really hard and deep.

Try the "lonely man" stretch, where you put both feet behind your head and then try to touch your head to your "stomach"

if you can't naturally do rubber guard you have some flexibility problems/naturally inflexible . . . try some yoga it'll help

You need to understand that Eddie Bravo, BJ Penn, and Aoki appear to be hypermoble. This allows them to stretch their knees to points that most people could/should. However, what makes them look so flexible is their hip mobility so focus on that. Also, good luck not blowing your knees out

I think eddie bravo has some video on youtube where he shows a bunch of stretches that help specifically for rubberguard.

LOL @ you dumbasses who hurt your knees playing rubber guard

CLEARLY you are not flexible enough in the hips if you are wrenching on your fucking knees! god you guys...try rubber guard 1 time, can't do it because of inflexibility, claim it kills knees. funny as fuck.

do the butterfly stretch. get your knees on the ground then lean forward trying to get your head to the floor.

there's this stretch i learned from ryan hall's dvd where you are basically in an omaplata situp posistion (dunno what to call it, you should get what i'm saying..)

ryanhallstretching.jpg

that one has helped me get a lot more flexible. makes pulling rubber guard real easy.

LOL @ you dumbasses who hurt your knees playing rubber guard

CLEARLY you are not flexible enough in the hips if you are wrenching on your fucking knees! god you guys...try rubber guard 1 time, can't do it because of inflexibility, claim it kills knees. funny as fuck.

do the butterfly stretch. get your knees on the ground then lean forward trying to get your head to the floor.

there's this stretch i learned from ryan hall's dvd where you are basically in an omaplata situp posistion (dunno what to call it, you should get what i'm saying..)

ryanhallstretching.jpg

that one has helped me get a lot more flexible. makes pulling rubber guard real easy.

Oh hello, oh so dear prick.

newerest has a point. hip flexibility is key. most can do rg, just need to hip out further. most dudes that get hurt were not taught it correctly.
I personally dont use it, but I've been training with Denny Prokopos for years. I see it alot only injuries I hear about is white/blue belts at other gyms doing it incorrectly

Oh hello, oh so dear prick.

Lol coming from the ***got that posts a joke post about getting heel hooked

dude how is training with denny? i heard he has a crazy ass north south position

Newerest is right to some degree. You shouldn't just jump right into to rubber guard. It takes a long time to develop that flexibility. In addition, a lot of the flexibility comes from the hips. Also, like he said don't wrench down on your knee. However, I disagree about rubber guard not increasing potential for knee injury.

If you're gonna take a tip from Ryan Hall, you might as well avoid rubber guard. He says himself that he stopped using it, and that it is really very inefficient. If you're going to do a 'leg grab' kind of guard, use the Williams guard instead. Much more effective.

Lol coming from the ***got that posts a joke post about getting heel hooked

dude how is training with denny? i heard he has a crazy ass north south position

Ohh boohoo, did I hurt your feelings? Maybe if you're lucky Eddie Bravo will let you suck on his nipples until you feel better

If you're gonna take a tip from Ryan Hall, you might as well avoid rubber guard. He says himself that he stopped using it, and that it is really very inefficient. If you're going to do a 'leg grab' kind of guard, use the Williams guard instead. Much more effective.

I was sitting on the side of the mat during one of the classes at 50/Fifty before a seminar there and he saw a student pull their leg up like that and he immediately corrected them and explained how if you want your leg up the back you need to work on hip mobility and not grabbing your foot/etc like a "gay vampire". It was funny, I laughed.

Moral of the story, work on your hip flexibility and do natural stretches/yoga/exercise; BJJ will already help with flexibility in general so adding a little yoga before/after class will give you even more if you're warmed up; don't overdo things and realize that extreme flexibility trying to hold a position can be dangerous (your tendons/etc at max strain/flex are a lot weaker and more susceptible to damage (i.e. people blowing out their knees when they try to hold rubber guard against a guy stacking or posturing up)).

So yeah, yoga, do it, there are more benefits to yoga than just stretchiness too =).

Ohh boohoo, did I hurt your feelings? Maybe if you're lucky Eddie Bravo will let you suck on his nipples until you feel better

I just think it's hilarious how I'm the prick for actually offering advice on how to gain hip mobility. You need to grow up. You contributed nothing. Instantly your best attempt at a response is to claim I'm butthurt. Nice try, troll.

1/10

Newerest is right to some degree. You shouldn't just jump right into to rubber guard. It takes a long time to develop that flexibility. In addition, a lot of the flexibility comes from the hips. Also, like he said don't wrench down on your knee. However, I disagree about rubber guard not increasing potential for knee injury.

I would say the worst case of getting knees blown out (assuming you aren't wrenching on your knee in the first place to even bring it across the back of their head) would be if you're transitioning to the omaplata and they start stacking you in a really weird angle. once I gained the proper flexibility stacking me doesn't really do anything to my knee. as long as i have the foot on the hip the stack is more of a thing that will just slow me down, as opposed to stopping my advancement.

I would say that everyone that posted in this thread (and almost everyone that claims rubber guard is awful on their knees) was simply not flexible enough to properly use it.

Last edited:
Back