Strangest weather phenomena you've seen?

Slick_36

Bad Man from Borger, Texas
@Gold
Reaction score
So tonight I discovered what a wet microburst is, also known as a rain bomb. Basically during a storm, a cold cloud will drop down suddenly and hit the earth with extremely high winds and a lot of precipitation. I never heard of it before, but it turns out I drove through one in Minnesota last year. There was some light showers for about 30-45 minutes of driving, and within a 10 second time span, our car was hit with extreme winds and rain so strong, I couldn't see anything through the windshield. I panicked and slowed down, then remembered I was on a highway and sped up blind. Eventually we got to a place to pull over with a half a dozen other cars. The whole event lasted maybe a minute and we had drove through a light shower for maybe 20 more minutes before the rain stopped entirely. I thought maybe Minnesota just had some crazy weather, but it turns out I just experienced a crazy rare weather event.

It starts around 2:45 of this video.

I've seen some other cool stuff too, but nothing near as scary as the microburst. I saw a moon halo in Colorado that was really neat, and mammatus clouds in Texas that were actually kind of unnerving. It was like watching a glitch in the matrix or something, they looked artificial like a painting.
254BCDE900000578-2937745-image-m-25_1422963495358.jpg

mammatus-clouds-1.jpg

Mammatus-clouds-over-Nebraska-3.jpg

Climate Change...

People dying yo..

SAD...

We had a red sun a few months back in England. Not something i've ever seen before.

Supposedly it was caused by the dust and air collected by hurricane Ophelia during it's travels which acted as a filter of some kind and altered the sun's colour.

Last edited:
We had a red sun a few months back in England. Not something i've ever seen before.

Supposedly it was caused by the dust and air collected by hurricane Ophelia during it's travels which acted as a filter of some kind and altered the sun's colour.

Try living in California or the Midwest, happens every year due to fires and ish..

Meh, red moon

Came here to say microburst. Didn’t know what it was until my ex wife (she’s a pilot) told me. Bravo OP

Oh yeah! I got to check that out to thanks to the wildfires in Washington while I was in Oregon last year. Trippy being able to look right at the sun during the middle of the day. That was shortly after the total solar eclipse which I was lucky enough to be in the totality zone. That was a crazy month, working in the heat that fire trapped was no fun.
sjm-l-fires-1015-507.jpg

The coolest thing about the solar eclipse was actually the shadow bands the trees were casting.

16831042551_152a35aba2_o.jpg

eclipse1b.jpg

totality-25jpg-4d7d5da954ef6106.jpg

Came here to say microburst. Didn’t know what it was until my ex wife (she’s a pilot) told me. Bravo OP
I saw some videos of what it does to planes and I'm terrified to fly again after I just grew to be comfortable with it lol. I can't imagine how that would feel to be sucked out of the sky like that.

I saw some videos of what it does to planes and I'm terrified to fly again after I just grew to be comfortable with it lol. I can't imagine how that would feel to be sucked out of the sky like that.

Thankfully they’re rare. Some nasty stories in aviation around them I imagine.

My ex girlfriend had a house on the water. Her bedroom had windows facing the ocean and we would love thunderstorms..lay there in the dark watching for hours. The craziest I remember was heat and spider lightening...horizontal from cloud to cloud for a long time. Whole sky lit up.

There was one of these here like a week or so before that super blue blood moon last month. I’d never seen one before, or atleast never remembered seeing one.
I'm so pissed I missed that! I didn't know about it until the afternoon after the morning it occured. I actually took this pic of the first blood moon in the tetrad during 2014-2015.

fZCpt29.jpg

My ex girlfriend had a house on the water. Her bedroom had windows facing the ocean and we would love thunderstorms..lay there in the dark watching for hours. The craziest I remember was heat and spider lightening...horizontal from cloud to cloud for a long time. Whole sky lit up.
Thunder storms are what I miss most about Texas, I've seen some pretty good light shows. But after life guarding for a few years, I do my best to get inside the moment I see lightning now lol. Though once when I was feeling a bit suicidal, I decided to take a nap during a pretty bad thunderstorm. I woke up feeling wet and refreshed, but sadly no super powers.

About 3 years ago there was lightning while it was snowing. Pretty cool, never saw or heard of that before.

I seen the Aurora Borealis when i was working on the Shetland Island

Last edited:
Thunder storms are what I miss most about Texas, I've seen some pretty good light shows. But after life guarding for a few years, I do my best to get inside the moment I see lightning now lol. Though once when I was feeling a bit suicidal, I decided to take a nap during a pretty bad thunderstorm. I woke up feeling wet and refreshed, but sadly no super powers.

We go up to Lake George every year for vacation. It’s in the adirondacks and the weather is beautiful, but violent storms roll in. They move fast. I started a rule with all the kids in the resort (along with mine)..If it rains we go in the lake! The kids love it and makes the weather tolerable. But if it’s thunder, we go inside. I have seen boats hit. I have seen trees 60ft up topple into the lake like they were sticks. The bolts up there are huge and because of the landscape, very visible and violent.

Went to New Orleans (UK checking in) for the first time many years ago. Couldn't grasp how it was so warm (100+) even at 3am or even when thunderstorms hit the skies. Also thought the world was going to end when the major storms hit. Crazy.

I live in New England, so we don't get anything too exotic. We get thunder snow sometimes, which is basically a thunderstorm during a blizzard. That's as far out as I've experienced.

Back