Strangest opponent you've ever encountered?

Yeah I can imagine. Thankfully Cisse wasn't allowed to knee or elbow me, but he did lay his shoulder on top of...well...my whole torso, which meant that nearly every hook he threw after that belted me in the kidneys.

He also has this thing he does where he just motors forward, lower elevation so he's nearly on the same level as the smaller man, and throws slow thudding punches non-stop. It forced me to use every trick I know off the back-foot to counter, keeping him off or stopping his momentum was an act of futility.

It's sort of a hazing thing he does with all the smaller guys at the Gym, and if you like the thrill of an imminent ass-whoopin' it's pretty fun. Diego, the kid I train with, is a Lightweight and Cisse pointed to him a couple weeks ago and said "Have I Boxed with you yet?" Should have seen the look on his face.

"Er uh...no."

I had a guy leap off the wall he was leaning against to hit me with a body shot...but it was so weak, I thought he was just messing around and by the time I could register that he wasn't he was already saying "yeah that's right, you're not gonna do anything you pussy" and had walked off. My friend's and I just had this "Wha?..." look on our faces.

A kung-fu guy at my gym. He does so many weird point fighting style kicks that have no real power and when we do mma sparring I just wait for him to kick so I can grab it and get the takedown. He always just lays back too and you can have him cornered and pound on his body for what seems like days and then he trys to do some backfist crap.

i had an ammy fight with a guy whose style completely through me off. i swear to go this guy wanted to have a hockey fight with me, i was so thrown off by his style at one point i hip tossed him (in a muay thai fight) i lost that fight by UD because i was so thrown off by the fact that he was fighting like this. lol lesson learned

There were a lot of strange guys. The strangest must be the guy I fought in tkd who had only one arm. The guy was pretty good, I won decisively though but felt like an ass the entire fight

There were a lot of strange guys. The strangest must be the guy I fought in tkd who had only one arm. The guy was pretty good, I won decisively though but felt like an ass the entire fight

ASS! jk, what can you do? dude was probably just happy to compete :)

At my old school, One of my buddies was in the military and trained Capoeira in Brazil...Sparring that was very different because it seems to avoid your strikes while bringing you into theres.

Any of you guys ever deal with "that girl"....?

You know...the one that's got some sort of chip on her shoulder and thinks she needs to go 110% with everybody just to "prove herself" that she's equal to a guy...so when you train with her or when you spar with her, you're not exactly sure whether you should tag her back in kind or not...

I always think of that as a "strange" situation...

I fought a guy in full contact karate. He was about 6' and 300. He looked liked the Stapuffed marshmellow man.

He lumbered into the ring and sauntered around. When the match started all of the sudden the guy was like a cat. I thought I would beat him with speed but this dude was wicked fast. I couldn't believe it. He tattooed me for like 2 minutes before I adjusted.

For me it was this guy i was sparring with under mma rules.
First i get him in a full arm bar from the mount and i put all my strenght into it and the guy did not tap, i was actually shocked and i eventually let go of the arm because i didn't to break his arm, then he gets me in this begginer's headock while being mounted holds on forever, when i finally manage to escape it, he taps imediatly without any submission or strike. I was like WTF?? lol

I fought a guy in full contact karate. He was about 6' and 300. He looked liked the Stapuffed marshmellow man.

He lumbered into the ring and sauntered around. When the match started all of the sudden the guy was like a cat. I thought I would beat him with speed but this dude was wicked fast. I couldn't believe it. He tattooed me for like 2 minutes before I adjusted.

"They call him the big cat and he throws bombs!" - Who am I talking about?

Ohh, and I had a fucking strange sparring "Opponent" yesterday, pale guy, long hair, he was maybe 50 kg and like 6'1 tall, skinny as fuck, he moved like a snake and twisted his body around and had these sloppy-ass strikes to the body.

I didn't know what to do with the guy so I just blocked his punches and held him at bay with my jab, although the weirdo clocked me good when I was confused with wtf he was doing and took my guard down. lol.

When people talk about how impractical a lot of TMA's are, they always forget one aspect of it.

Element of surprise.

But speaking of big guys who can move, I got a buddy (in prison unfortunately) who was like 5'10" and about 288 or so. But he was one of those deceptively fast big men, not to mention he knew how to put his weight behind everything he did. Used to give everyone who sparred him fits, and gave me a bloody-lip once because I didn't think he could kick as high as my face, and was wrong.

better than one leg:D

sparring a 17 year old sucks because if you kick his ass you are a prick and if you dont fight hard enough, since he is real good, you will get beat by a teenager

Back