strange yet funny way to get a promotion

Seen this done by Matt Thornton a number of times. Excellent way to get a new belt. Always such a great look of surprise and wonder.

Yep. Got to love Matt for that.
He does it at camps too. He will let a guy roll with the whole seminar, white through black belt, and when the black belts are handling you, they will get a belt around you. By that time, you are usually ready to puke anyways.:icon_chee

DSC02857.JPG

from that position, you could pull out a belt from your jacket and tie it up without the bottom guy seeing a thing.

I take mount from that position all the time..... Great Story and very creative promotion...

guaranteed great gym with a culture like that. kudos.

I had to bend over and get whipped on the ass by all the higher ranked guys with their belts when I got my purple lol, at other gradings guys had to take their jackets off and get whipped on the back by the higher belts, some nasty marks left

That sounds pretty strange, all right. But fun. Was she unconscious at any point in the roll? That could have made for an easy belt swapping opportunity.

told my students about this today, they all got a kick out of it. Maybe we will do the same thing!

When I got my blue, my instructor at that time was rolling with me, and easily took my back like 4 minutes later and had a blue belt tucked inside his gi.

He removed it as he had my back, and basically choked me with it until I tapped, then left the blue belt sprawled across a defeated me. He got up and walked away.

I look at the belt, say "...the hell..." and my instructor says, "Congrats!"

one time after rolling a bunch with someother people
I rolled with Gazzy a little bit and both our belts came off and I put her black belt on by accidet
everyone decided not to say anything
and my bro finally says are you trying to tell Baret something
I was so embarressed

my imstructor ran out to the carpark to give a dude his purple belt, he was leaving early and the instructor didnt notice he was leaving until someone brought it to his attention.

We usually do ours at seminars, but there as an exception a few years back.

There was a guy leaving town, who had missed every seminar - probably overdue for blue.

We had a visiting black belt who didn't speak any english. While the guy was rolling, the black belt just walked over and draped a blue belt over him. He looked up and asked "What's this?" and the purple who owns the gym just said "Get up. You're getting whipped."

Sort of funny and interesting since as a result he was promoted under a different lineage than anyone else at the gym. His gauntlet was also only about 10 guys compared to the the thirty or more who usually attend seminars.

EDIT: to mention that this was all done with the ok of our association head at the time.

Last edited:
The instructor at the place i train wanted to promote someone to blue belt after yet another win at a competition, so, having got everyone to remove their belts before sparring, he paired her up with the largest brown belt on the mat who, thanks to his size and control managed to lock her up and tie a blue belt on her whilst rolling without her noticing. At the end she stood up, looked at her waist and was like "how the f@#$ do i have a blue belt around my waist" to applause from everyone else :)

Anyone else seen a whacky promotion?

Ninja promotions are the best kind of promotions :icon_chee

Back