strange yet funny way to get a promotion

Overwhelmed by massive brown belt and have your belt switched without your knowledge = Blue Belt

Realize what is happening to you and fight off massive brown belt instead = Purple Belt

Take his belt and wrap it around yourself while rolling = Brown Belt

P.S Awesome story TS!

i'm guessing brown belt had the back, and while he was worried about the chokes/locks/etc. he tied it in.

Haha nice ! , i hope they do this to me instead of rolling with fresh opponents for a couple of hours :rolleyes:

He was 100kg to her 60kg so from side mount etc she couldnt see past his body.

Bah, should have filmed it.

DSC02857.JPG

from that position, you could pull out a belt from your jacket and tie it up without the bottom guy seeing a thing.

Pretty cool story... now if I ever get belted like that I won't be surprised... lol :icon_chee

when i imagined it, i would have tried n/s or a reverse triangle from there.
but yea, awesome promotion.

If I'm ever in a situation in my career where I can award belts, that is how I will award belts.

We did one really whacked out promotion at our dojo. My Judo Club is pretty informal when it comes to moving up in grades, so the ceremony, the coach leaves us to come up with something interesting.

We called it One Minute in Heaven. Basically, we grabbed the guy. Pinning him and all his limbs to the ground, effectively immobilizing him...and the rest of the group...tickled him non-stop for 1 minute.

Ever seen a judoka scream for mercy before? Hahaha

That's awesome! How do you tie a belt around someone without them noticing??

I was thinking the same thing

if you're not relaxed enough to notice some action going on around the waist area, you may not be ready for that blue belt

-just saying

sounds like a wives tale ?

my all time favorite is getting invited to roll with the coach

and then several minutes later you get slapped on the back with your new belt

call me old fashion

but belt awards still give me the creeps

it's like publishers clearing house

deep in your heart, you know that you could be next

At the end of each class, about once a month one of my instructors gives out stripes. There is one well known guy that always talks about himself getting promoted. He is extremely lazy and everyone who trains with him knows it.

Anyway one day one of our instructors calls him to the front. He walks up, proud and cocky with a big smile on his face. The instructor then tells him to do 50 pushups and get back in line! For not having his belt tied while bowing. Our school is not strict at all, in fact bowing/belts isn't really enforced at all usually, but obviously if you want to make yourself out to be some kind of BJJ hero you are going to be treated like one. It was awesome! To this day he doesn't have so much as a stripe. Not that stripes/belts are the most important thing, but to be honest he hasn't improved much since day one.

Back