Strange Reffing - Opinions?

Oliver Geddes

Amateur Fighter
@purple
Reaction score
Old fight I just dug up on YouTube...wondering on people's opinions on the ref calls on some of the points throughout:

Great fight, that I've never actually watched before just now. But by my reckoning, every single one of Xande's points shouldn't have been awarded. Opinions?

Take care,

Oli

Thought Xande deserved two points for the "takedown" that started when he was turtled.

Hrm. By the rules, you don't score for anything that starts from the knees. Strange rule, but even if you start from the floor, come up, pick the guy over your head and do a flying bodyslam, you still officially score nothing. Unless it's a sweep, of course.

The half-guard sweep before was also incredibly strange. Xande never had top position, yet the ref gives 2 points as Roger stands up holding Xande's leg, then awards the 2 to Roger as he takes him back down again for the resweep.

Still, good fight, but very strange, and if that had gone differently, I could see somebody being very very upset. @_@

Take care,

Oli

Given your explanation, I don't think Xande scored any points. A couple of advantages for near sweeps.

Don't recognise the ref. Not strange reffing, just unclear in places. He makes a mistake with the points for the half guard sweep. I'd have given the takedown points since although xande starts on the ground, by the time he is actually mdoing the takedown, both he and roger are no longer with any knees on the ground.

This was the year Xande went up to Super Pesado, strong division, also had Margarida and Comprido among others.

Xande should have stuck with Pesado, would have beaten Drsydale or anoyone else there. Xande is fairly short which makes Roger look even more like godzilla strolling towards tokyo than usual.

Xande got taken out by Braulio in the absolute that year iirc.

Hrm. By the rules, you don't score for anything that starts from the knees. Strange rule, but even if you start from the floor, come up, pick the guy over your head and do a flying bodyslam, you still officially score nothing. Unless it's a sweep, of course.

Oli

I don;t think any of the ibjjf observations on takedowns actually say that, it is when you do the takedown and one or more knees are touching th eground they are talking about iirc.

from a pure grappling perspective, going from underneath side mount to not only escaping, but standing up and reversing with a takedown of his own = respect.

3 points guard pass for Roger at 4:10
2 points takedown for Roger at 6:58
3 points guard pass for Roger at 8:10
2 points takedown for Xande at 9:00
2 points sweep for Roger at 10:25 (debatable)
Roger wins 10-2

Didn't count advantages because it wasn't a tie on points.
Xande's takedown actually did look like a takedown to me, it seemed to start from one knee, which is treated the same as standing in the rules.
What was the actual score?

I definitely wouldn't give Xande two points for the "half guard sweep," maybe an advantage at most.

Back