strange part of my ear is hurting

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by vern_Fonk, Apr 23, 2008.

1. vern_Fonk

vern_Fonk Orange Belt

for the last two and a half weeks ive been going to class about 5-6x a week. ive been doing bjj for about a year and 9 months, and lately a strange part of my ear is hurting. cauliflower ear only creates pain on the outside edges of the ear right? currently whenever i bend my ear a bit or poke it, it hurts like crazy. and its actually the abit on the inside of the ear and the edges around the "ear stem' portion that connects to my head. i drew on a photo to show u where it hurts. just wondering if this a normal precursor to cauliflower ear? btw this isnt my ear

[​IMG]

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger Banned Banned

It's cauliflower ear. Wear head gear for a few weeks.

3. Push

Push White Belt

HB is on fire tonight.

4. Fwogz1

Fwogz1 Blue Belt

I have the same problem on my left ear. Its kind of tender, but doesn't really feel any bigger.

5. whipyourasstyle

whipyourasstyle Exitus acta probat

It is really funny the way people react the first time they get the beginnings of coli.

"look mom . . . look what I have . . . c'mon look at me . . . I'm a grappler bad ass . . . LOOK AT MY EAR!!!!!"

6. vern_Fonk

vern_Fonk Orange Belt

forgot to mention my ear isnt bigger or redder or anything. just worried that it might not be cauli but rather inner ear trauma or something, since its actually on the inner ear stem/ back of ear.

7. supertac

supertac White Belt

sounds like cauli. wear your headgear.

8. Fwogz1

Fwogz1 Blue Belt

You mean cauli haha jk giving you a hard time. But I doubt thats most peoples reaction when they get it. Its probably more like "ahhh mom, my ear is swelling, take me to the doctor before it gets bigger and I look like randy couture, woman will hate it, my life is over ahh." Lucky for me mines not noticeable to the average person. But grapplers will always be like "ah I see you got some cauliflower."

9. pittfrog

pittfrog Blue Belt

Wear headgear. I had a cauli bubble in that exact spot, inside the bowl of my ear. It affected my hearing(slightly, but still) until it was fixed.

10. NinjaKilla187

NinjaKilla187 Blue Belt

Fuck, it could be those brain eating earwick's from Wrath of Khan. Pour some lysol in your ear and shake your head around just to be on the safe side.

11. Maystor

Maystor White Belt

In order for any deformity or cauli to appear doesn't it have to be more than just pain? For example the area would have to fill with a little fluid or puss so that the skin is separated from the cartilage and that is what causes the hardening and death of the cartilage underneath.

The tops of my ears never bother me, but the inside edges (as the OPs) get sore and painful often, I usually ice it and go easy (headgear) for a week or two and I have not had any changes to the anatomy of my ear yet... I hope it stays that way.

Bottom line, my question is, there should be FLUID (at least a little) before you are at risk for permanent deformity right?

12. pittfrog

pittfrog Blue Belt

Yes, there would have to be fluid.

You can get cauli more than one way though. It can be from one sharp blow, and it can also be from repeated grinding trauma. If your ears hurt, they're injured. Take care of them, it's pretty simple.
    That sounds like exactly the right thing to do, although wearing headgear all the time would stop your ears from hurting entirely. Good luck.

13. Maystor

Maystor White Belt

THANKS!

14. Snar

Snar Yellow Belt

I have cauli in that part of my ear. Happened just as you are describing it. Didn't look any bigger for a while, just hurt. I kept training and it slowly grew until it caulied.

15. Meegle818

Meegle818 Blue Belt

watch out, chicks might be all up over your piece now

16. georgejjr

georgejjr Black Belt

Did you go to your doctor to ask? Getting medical advice from an internet forum isn't a great idea.