Strange Movie Combos(In Hindsight)

Nameless Ghoul

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm currently watching 'The River Wild" and it stars Meryl Streep,Kevin Bacon and John C. Riley. In hindsight, what are some other interesting acting pairings?

What about that is strange?
The movie came out in 1994, in most people's eyes, Meryl Streep is the greatest female actor ever, Kevin Bacon is a sort of pseudo late 80's/mid 90's icon, and JCR is known for being Will Ferrell's wingman.

I dont quite understand the criteria. Arnold and De Vito?

Dan Aykroyd and Eddie Murphy was weird in Trading Places even if both were from SNL.

The movie came out in 1994, in most people's eyes, Meryl Streep is the greatest female actor ever, Kevin Bacon is a sort of pseudo late 80's/mid 90's icon, and JCR is known for being Will Ferrell's wingman.

Eh, not that strange IMO. Kevin Bacon has been an A-lister since Friday the 13th and JCR made his name in Paul Thomas Anderson movies, which I'm sure you know are critically acclaimed.

The Lobster was a bit of a strange mix at the time, some of Lathimos's previous oddball Greek actresses and Oliva Coleman not unexpected, maybe not Farrell so much either as he'd done stuff like Seven Physcopaths, but Rachael Weisz, Lea Seydoux, Ben Whilshaw and John c Reilly in a absurdist graphic black comedy was rather new.

Dispite being married in Aronofsky Weisz was still a pretty straight mainstream Hollywood actresses and then she's comedy deadpanning lines like....

"That night, in my sleep, I dreamt that we lived in a big house together in the city with a large, well-lit kitchen, and I was wearing dark blue trousers and a tight cream blouse and he took my clothes off and fucked me up the ass."

Last edited:
I'm currently watching 'The River Wild" and it stars Meryl Streep,Kevin Bacon and John C. Riley. In hindsight, what are some other interesting acting pairings?
Good movie though, did you like it?

images

Rush Hour.
A Black Guy, AND an Asian, and they're fighting crime???

tenor.gif

a lot of movies deliberately play up contrasts between two main actors. This often works well:

Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte.
Jack Lemon and Walter Mathau (maybe the OG of this).
Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.
Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill.
The Rock and Kevin Hart.
Brando and Maria Schneider
Quentin Tarantino and George Clooney
etc.

However, one that was strange and didn't work out:
Kelly Marie Tran and John Boyega.

Dakota Skye and Danny Mountain

I just don't see how they fit together.

Back