Strange consequence of Google ad delivery

Andy Capp

2GM/c2 Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
It turns out that we recently bought a new car, and afterward, I looked up the owner's manual on the manufacturer's website. Now, I get the same ad over and over every day I'm on Sherdog for the car I already own.

Google gets paid for delivering the ad, and I don't have to put up with ads for all sorts of different stuff I don't want, but the company paying for the ad gets nothing whatsoever for its money.

Interesting. But should anyone care?

I was just thinking about this.
I bought a guitar online and did fair amount of homework.

The ads targeted me immediately. You liked that, buy this! Look at this gear you probably want, maybe!

I think if anything it's gonna get worse. Ads will be loaded into laser-guided sales cannons aimed right at your face.

I like to search random but alarming combinations of products just to fuck with the NSA.

Duct tape, metal weights, and 1 gallon jugs of lube was my last red herring search.

Farming fertilizer, a rental truck, and a gross of black dildos is next.

The discussion following this unfortunate error has upped the brand awareness in your mind and you are now discussing this topic at Sherdog. So the ad is still doing it's work.

Does anyone adblock around here? I stopped looking at ads years ago.

Yeah.
Although, amusingly (or frighteningly), things I've searched at home show up in my ads at work (where, yes, I do have to use the Internet for my job, and, no, we do not have admin access to install adblock).

Yeah.
Although, amusingly (or frighteningly), things I've searched at home show up in my ads at work (where, yes, I do have to use the Internet for my job, and, no, we do not have admin access to install adblock).

That is messed up for sure. People used to joke about 1984, big brother surveillance state, but now it becomes more of a reality every day, or rather, I should say it is a reality. Government and big corporations seem to have one overriding goal and that is to know everything about you.

The discussion following this unfortunate error has upped the brand awareness in your mind and you are now discussing this topic at Sherdog. So the ad is still doing it's work.

<TheWire1>
Google playing 4D chess with their marketing plans.

That doesn't make any sense. Every time I get in my car my brand awareness is about as high as it can be, don'tcha think?
The point is I bought the car before I ever saw the ad. It didn't need to do any work.
Somehow it stopped working and I didn't really notice, just don't care that much, I guess. Thanks for the reminder.

I was just thinking about this.
I bought a guitar online and did fair amount of homework.

The ads targeted me immediately. You liked that, buy this! Look at this gear you probably want, maybe!

I think if anything it's gonna get worse. Ads will be loaded into laser-guided sales cannons aimed right at your face.
It's those creepy notifications asking me to provide info to google about places I pass by when I leave location on on my phone that make my skin crawl.

Somehow it stopped working and I didn't really notice, just don't care that much, I guess. Thanks for the reminder.

You may need adblock plus, there is adblock and adblock plus, use plus.

It's those creepy notifications asking me to provide info to google about places I pass by when I leave location on on my phone that make my skin crawl.
The future of being on the grid is having your whereabouts known at almost all times

You may need adblock plus, there is adblock and adblock plus, use plus.
It's what I have. It had just crashed and I didn't even notice. It's back on now. Thanks, though.

Back