Strange Acupuncture mishap ruled Mitch Clarke out of Sunday's UFC Fight Night 74

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
By MMAjunkie Staff August 20, 2015 2:45 pm

TWEET

EMAIL
Mitch Clarke
Mitch Clarke
Mitch Clarke has a good – and odd – reason for why he won’t be fighting at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 74 event.

Clarke (11-3 MMA, 2-3 UFC) was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada, and Sunday’s FOX Sports 1-televised event takes place at the city’s SaskTel Centre. He would’ve been a natural fit for the card, which marks the UFC’s debut in Saskatoon.

However, the 29-year-old recently underwent arm surgery, and he faces uncertain immediate future when it comes to his fighting career.

As the Star Phoenix‘s Dave Deibert reported:

The reason he’s not competing on Sunday’s Fight Night card, headlined by a featherweight bout between top-10 contenders Charles Oliveira and Max Holloway, is almost too bizarre to believe.

While receiving an acupuncture treatment, the needle broke off from the handle while in his arm. Making things exponentially worse, the muscle in his forearm was contracting at that exact moment. With no handle to hold on to, the needle was sucked deep into his forearm muscle. Clarke had to undergo surgery to have the needle removed.

While there is no good time for such a thing, it was especially bad for Clarke on a personal level. The acupuncture-gone-wrong in June happened the day before UFC announced the Saskatoon stop. He held out hope of recovering in time to compete, but even now he doesn’t have feeling in part of his affected hand. Clarke will take part in a grappling competition on Sept. 12 in Nova Scotia, largely to see how his hand holds up in competition.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/08/acupun...larke-out-of-sundays-ufc-fight-night-74-event

Woah. Lost sensation in a hand?? People don't realize how crucial
finger manipulation capabilites are to every day living.

Damn, that sounds horrible. Best of luck to Mitch, hope to see him in the Octagon soon. Loved his sub vs Raging Al.

That's pretty scary. I go to a chiropractor before I fight and I'm always afraid I might get messed up while being adjusted lol

Acupuncture is quackery like chiropractic.

Sounds like something out of one of the Final Destination movies.

insanely random - stupid unfortunate. One of those things NOBODY expects to happen... or even thinks of for that matter. Good luck to the dude, that's all I can say.

Wow, never heard of this happening. I'd freak out if it happened to me I'm sure.

Meh... I've trained with him... He's kind of a dink.

Anyone dumb enough to touch either of those two things when they make a living using their body deserves what they get.

Agreed. I wonder if he popped a few echinacea pills to speed the recovery.

I guess his chances of recovering in time were about as good as finding a needle in a haystack?

What a liar! They put handle on needles now? Bullshyt! There's no handle

That is truly bizarre!! I feel bad for the guy.

10-8 round for modern medicine!

Back