1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Straight up old school boxing gyms in north texas?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by td82394, Aug 15, 2010.

1. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Specifically fort worth and even more specifically saginaw, tx (76179). I wanna' develop my counter-punching, head movement, and basically all around boxing ability as opposed to fighting ability.

2. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Texas Boxing Gyms and Clubs

I suggest going to all the gyms listed in your area and seeing what is going to fit you best.

once you find a good gym that trains how you want to train, do not shy away from learning to fight as well as box because in a battle of two equally matched boxers, the one with more fight in him usually wins.

3. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Well, I can already steamroll people with punching power. But I don't want to win that way.

4. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Well, you have to play to your strengths no matter what man.. if you got power, you will be best served training to use boxing techniques to get that power to the target while avoiding opponents shots in a roberto duran type fashion..

in short, if you are built like tommy hearns, don't try to fight like Mike Tyson... if you are built like Tyson, don't try to fight like Floyd Mayweather..

If you have had the luck to be able to naturally steam roll people, don't trade that ability for tassels on your shoes:D

5. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Well, I mean, what if someone just like me comes around but he's a little bigger, a little faster, and a little stronger? When that person comes around I want to be as versatile as I can. I've got speed, too. For being 200+, I can usually run circles around people half my size and beat them to the punch before they can block. I want to develop that ability with good head movement and superior footwork.

6. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

Yeah, I'm not saying don't develop your boxing skills.. I'm saying don't trade what you can naturally do well to become Pernell Whitaker.. Watch some vids on roberto duran. He had great defense, but he always played to his strengths which was steam rolling people.. his footwork was great.. he was hard to hit.. but he was always in position to land with his stone fists on his opponents body and head..

7. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Well, okay. But I was actually aiming for Roy Jones Jr. : )

8. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

What are tassels for?

9. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

[​IMG]

Tassels are for guys like Paulie Malignaggi
    ..lol

and training to resemble any type of extremely unorthadox fighter is madness.. Roy fought the way he did because he was trained to fight that way since he walk.. thats not something that you can pick up in your late teens and expect to have it built into your muscle memory by the time you are in your prime.

Roy also got away with being flawed because he had supernatural reflexes.. training to fight like Roy is training to be flawed and benefit from slower opponents thinking they can take advantage of those flaws which in turn creates offensive opportunities.

My 2 cents.. train to be technically perfect, and all your natural attributes will be more likely to pay off.

10. kingobould***

kingobould*** Purple Belt

What weight do you fight at?

11. kingobould***

Sorry didnt read far enough along. Do you plan to stay at your weight or do you plan to reach a certain weight?

12. kingobould***

Good advice Cracky.

13. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

I'll probably lose the weight as I train. I've been 198 wrestling at the 215 class before during wrestling. Yeah, for my weight class, I consider myself small, but on a good day I'm awesome.

14. kingobould***

Have you found a gym you like yet?

15. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

I found a good gym I think. Golden Gloves, actually.

16. kingobould***

Thats tight. Let us know how it goes. My family owned the gym in chico CA but it just recently went under it was tight. My grandfather is way old school. He would have certain people compete to see who didnt have to pay for that month. It definitely made people try harder

17. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

That's one badass old man. : )

18. SwiftMcvay

SwiftMcvay Brown Belt

The Golden Gloves gym is ok, but it doesn't have the same grit/toughness as the other Fort Worth gyms.

Diamond Hill is good, i trained there for about a year and a half. There are a lot of kids that train there though, its a rec center that costs about $30 for the first membership, and i don't think there are any monthly dues (there wasn't when I was there).

Fort Worth Boxing Club is probably the best, toughest gym in Fort Worth. I've watched a few golden gloves over the years, and every fighter i've seen from that gym can bang. We went to the gym to spar before and it was a straight up no bullshit, old school gym. The boxing rings they spar in are tiny compared to other gyms, and it just has that feel to it that a boxing gym should have. My boxing coach at Diamond Hill was cool so thats why i stayed there, but if i would have looked around a little more i would have started at Fort Worth boxing club.

when it comes down to it, you just need to find a gym that has somebody near your size. There's no point in training at a gym if the only sparring you get is with guys that weigh 40 pounds less than you.

19. donttazemebro

donttazemebro Blue Belt

If my boy Vince Reyes is still in Fort Worth look him up. He has a gym there, I believe.

20. Cracky

Cracky Fanny Pack

that's actually really cool.. sucks that it went under.. sounds like a great place