Straight outta Compton. Review. Discussion. Accuracy. History.

The film certainly focuses on Eazy, Dre and Cube. The other 2 are in the movie as comic relief and a few lines. No form of drama around then at all. In fact I would say Suge had a more impactful role in the movie than the other 2 members combined. Being that I didn't grow up in that era but do know of Cube but more specifically Dre it didn't bother me.

Big N.W.A fan here, unfortunately the movie isn't out here until the 3rd of September :( Glad it's getting good reviews, got me even more hyped to see it now.

Just one question for those who have seen it, is Jerry Heller mentioned much? I know Ice Cube had a lot to do with the movie and he hates Heller's guts. Interested in how his character is portrayed.

thread had 7 pages last night, 5 this morning and 3 now wtf.... smarten up guys.

If youre interested in reading about it I definitely recommend Ruthless by Jerry Heller
Its a good history of the early West Coast hip hop scene and goes into detail about every major event in the groups/record labels history
A few scenes in the movie were taken directly from the book

Jerry Heller did an interview with the local radio station and said losing Dre was the biggest loss to the label.

So all the media outlets and way it was portrayed was accurate? The police were that bad? Who would you say was the main artist? E, cube or dre?

LAPD is STILL pretty shitty lol. Literally a huge fucking well armed gang with impunity.

The film certainly focuses on Eazy, Dre and Cube. The other 2 are in the movie as comic relief and a few lines. No form of drama around then at all. In fact I would say Suge had a more impactful role in the movie than the other 2 members combined. Being that I didn't grow up in that era but do know of Cube but more specifically Dre it didn't bother me.

To be fair, what I know of their history says that's the way it went down. Ren and Yella stayed out of the beef completely. They just wanted the group to stick together and make music. Snoop even gives a shout out to Ren on the intro to the Chronic.

To be fair, what I know of their history says that's the way it went down. Ren and Yella stayed out of the beef completely. They just wanted the group to stick together and make music. Snoop even gives a shout out to Ren on the intro to the Chronic.

I always thought "what up Ren, dropping chronic flakes on your ass beeatch" was an insult.

Man, the Eazy/Dre beef had me cracking up at the time. It's On was one of my favorite albums back then

That thread is a graveyard of deleted posts. It looks like another mod went through there with a machete in each hand.

bad move imo. let the guys who made asses of themselves be properly ridiculed and live with it.

Man, the Eazy/Dre beef had me cracking up at the time. It's On was one of my favorite albums back then

GOAT beef. and their respective music videos ridiculing each other set a bar that no subsequent rapper could live up to. Yes, better than 'pac/biggie.

I always thought "what up Ren, dropping chronic flakes on your ass beeatch" was an insult.

lol I thought it might be back in the day too, but Ren has confirmed it was a shout out. He was still kicking it with Dre at that time.

Pretty sure its supposed to go like this:

"The notorious Compton G, D-R-E, on the solo tip. Fuck them other fools--what up Ren"

and then "yeah...dropping chronic flakes on your ass beeatch" as a separate statement to the listener.

bad move imo. let the guys who made asses of themselves be properly ridiculed and live with it.

Anonymous people behind faceless accounts don't get properly ridiculed. This isn't the place to read a bunch of racist flamewars. If you want that go to the youtube comments section.

Was MC Ren mentioned in the film? I remember Ren got upset cus he wasn'r mentioned in the film at all

Hollywood "True Stories" are almost always garbage. I'll definitely be skipping this violence and misogyny glorifying garbage.

It’s not an oral history you’re getting with Straight Outta Compton, just the smushy boilerplate that happens anytime screenwriters (here it’s Jonathan Herman and Andrea Berloff) get near musicians. This is Behind the Music stuff that never goes far enough behind. There are cameos by someone pretending to be Tupac and by Keith Stanfield, who’s pretty great in his couple of scenes as Snoop Dogg. But by this point, you’re no longer in a film; you’re on a Wikipedia page conveyor belt...

Source: Age of ‘Compton’: N.W.A With Artificial Sweeteners

Last edited by a moderator:
lol I thought it might be back in the day too, but Ren has confirmed it was a shout out. He was still kicking it with Dre at that time.

Pretty sure its supposed to go like this:

"The notorious Compton G, D-R-E, on the solo tip. Fuck them other fools--what up Ren"

and then "yeah...dropping chronic flakes on your ass beeatch" as a separate statement to the listener.

So dropping chronic flakes on ass is a compliment to us lol... im confused, it sounds insulting.

Was MC Ren mentioned in the film? I remember Ren got upset cus he wasn'r mentioned in the film at all

Ren and Yella are portrayed in the film but the prime focus is on E, Dre, and Cube.

Good movie but it felt like Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. It has the basic story down but it glamorizes and mythologizes every little thing. Everything has to feel epic. That's typically just how biopics are though. They have to make it exciting and fit in a movie.

N.W.A were definitely revolutionary and they brought the gang culture and issues in LA to the mainstream. They influenced countless artists and started a whole new genre of music.

It was a good movie but I do wish it had more of a message. It seemed to be too content on making N.W.A. out to be heroes rather than showing reality and some of the negative aspects.

They also really put over cube in the film as the Victor of the "beef" by a long shot. Absolutely no mention of dre/ez beef

So dropping chronic flakes on ass is a compliment to us lol... im confused, it sounds insulting.

It wasnt directed to Ren
It was just a random statement to fill out a song

Back