Straight outta Compton. Review. Discussion. Accuracy. History.

Fuck Dre for beating up a chick like that. I never knew about the Dee Barnes incident, but now I do I've lost all respect for Dre.

That was big when it happened...

Dre also helped make that film I'm surprised they left it in...He could have cut those scenes out if he wanted to.

Last edited:
How it treats the ugliness of what they did or promoted makes it fictional account and not a biopic.

I don't think that's what he's referring to. Some kind soul decided to go all War Room on the thread.

Think about something you did earlier on in your life that made you look like a scumbag, and ask yourself if you would advertise that action in a Hollywood movie to be seen by millions, especially in an era where it would be overly-criticized due to the circumstances of the time (in this case, feminism).

Dr. Dre's involved in this to make cheese and make himself look good, not to bury himself in front of millions of people.
i.e. the movie is fake as fuck. You just reinforced his point. It's a propaganda biopic, nothing more.

My grandma is from Compton. Only white person i ever met from Compton but she said in her day there were a lot of white people there.

My stepmom used to live in Compton as well. In the late 50's and early 60's, Compton was 95% white.

Someone who roams around the internet bragging about his victim complex?
That's not what "victim complex" means, Pliny. For him to have a victim complex he would have to possess a confirmation bias whereby he invariably saw himself as a victim. He's complaining about Hollywood politics, but he isn't portraying himself as a victim of their politics.

I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was interesting to see the characters develop post NWA split. Listening to the music growing up, I thought that they hated each other a lot more than the movie depicted. It was also nice to see Jerry Heller's character. There was a lot more depth to Jerry Heller than I imagined.

Movie was awesome! First two hours anyhow, last little bit seemed a tad inaccurate but what do I know

Last bit was about right from what I recall. Pacing wise it was a fun ride the first two hours and slowed down near the end but I enjoyed the nostalgia and it was a great film.

Loved the movie! Really brings me back to my old stomping grounds.

i.e. the movie is fake as fuck. You just reinforced his point. It's a propaganda biopic, nothing more.

I saw an interview where dre basically said, "i sat there every day of filming to make sure they didn't do or say something I wouldn't like"

I'm kind of interested but I know Dre and Cube conveniently left out shit that would make them look bad.

How far into their careers does it go? Eazy's death? I hope their is a scene of Bone Thugs impersonators in over sized flannels signing with tears running down their faces.

Saw the movie today and really liked it. I love movies that have an element of truth behind them. I know there are other threads about the movie but this one I really wanted to hear people who were alive or young during that era. Was it really as big a deal as the movie made it out to be? Revolutionary? A hot topic?

In before this thread goes full $tormfront.

Born in the 70s grew up in the 80s in Oakland so NWA was huge in my life
To answer your question yes it was revolutionary
They werent the first gangsta rappers but they were the first to do it on a worldwide scale
They were the first to talk about life in the ghetto in that raw angry way and Fuck The Police was really a shocking song at the time
Growing up where I did and the way I did we worshipped these dudes music and they influenced generations to come

So all the media outlets and way it was portrayed was accurate? The police were that bad? Who would you say was the main artist? E, cube or dre?

Back