Straight Arm or Bent Arm when throwing the OVERHAND RIGHT ?

Biggiebrother**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Definitely my weakest punch, im talking about the bolo overhand right, like Chuck Liddel throws

I used to play cricket as a kid so i have been trying to incorporate the bowling action a bit into my overhand right

I think i have the punch trajectory down now, just wondering whether your arm should be straight or bent when throwing this punch ?

Good question - I very rarely use it tbh.
And when I do it's a very tight trajectory with a bent
elbow. Don't know if this is correct though.

Ignore the above. I thought you were asking about
a standard-type overhand punch.

if you throw an"overhand right" straight it becomes a cross ,an over an right in reality is just a counter after you slip your opponent cross or hook,you really just throwin a cross with different placement the key to landing an "overhand right" is good head movent and countering skills of your own.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the trajectory?

get every technique that Chuck does out of your arsenal ASAP. Then join a boxing gym to "tighten" your punces

The UFC has really gotten people obsessed with "overhand rights"

really, a cross>>>That.

And those of you that think a right cross is an "overhand right"...smh

OR's leave you off balance and open to uppercuts, and if youre training anything involving the use of legs, open to knees and body kicks.

If youre training MT, youre going to get fucked if youre sparring/fighting someone seasoned with good kicks.

When you throw that right, and lean your posture left, they can easily move to their right and throw a left kick directly to your floaters.

The overhand right is really the most useless, risky punch there is, and if they teach you that at your MMA school (not directed at you, TS, just generally speaking) slap your instructer in the face and tell him to watch some Benoit Guadet tapes.

I already have tight compact punches, that's why the bolo overhand feels so awkward to me

Don't worry, the idea is only to use it when my opponent is on the ropes and it's a finishing blow

Yeah, and that's the idea Chuck had multiple times, and what got him butally KO'd multiple times.

Its' a stupid, stupid punch.

The problem a lot of guys have, and i was guilty of this for a long time, is going for that "finishing punch". It's such an attractive idea subconciously, but really, the safest and smartest thing to do is just accumulate. Just keep up the technique and they'll crumble. That's it.

I think if you pivot on your rear leg while dropping your front hip side a little will help you get torque (Sinister has been talking about the same thing when doing rear hook). Basically it helps you rotate your hip a little ahead of the arm, then you flip your elbow a bit in an arc to go over the guarding hand/shoulder and continue momentum diagonally and forward and turn your fist over a little more than horizontal.
I may be describing cross though...:redface:

Watch Andy Souwer do it vs Ole Laursen and Gago Drago: at 2:04, 2:09, 2:20, 3:05, 3:42, 4:03, 4:46...you get the idea. I'm sure there are other vids but this helps see where the momentum is going.

Punches down the center column are much better then lobbing over hands all the time leaves you more open and wastes more energy

I think it's a good question.

I know the trajectory of an overhand right and I know the trajectory of a traditional bolo punch. The traditional bolo punch is like a wide looping uppercut. I'm not sure how an uppercut variation translates into an overhand anything.

But I'm not going to assume that I know what he's talking about, so I asked him to describe the trajectory by which a looping uppercut can be adapted to come over the guard. I'm wondering how his punch is different from a wide hook.

Of course, if you can describe it, I'll take your opinion as well.

I'm sure he meant to say flying knuckle sandwich like the one Chuck threw at Alistair Overeem. Even Chuck knows that that isn't the way to throw a proper overhand though (he doesn't teach it like that).

Also, it's wasn't a finishing blow for Chuck. It was the blow that setup the finishing combos.

The way that Souwer throws it in that highlight video is correct.

As someone else said before, the overhand right is more of a counter punch, used when you slip your opponent's jab/ hook. It just has a slight arc to bypass the protecting shoulder.

i keep my arm slightly bent so my elbow isnt locked and turn my fist inwards.

only do it sometimes though as a suprise counter if im slipping or doing the motion anyway and i think his mind is elsewhere.

if hes going back he'll hit my first
if hes in the middle he'll hit my wrist or arm
if he comes in, as my arm goes over his shoulder i use it to grab as i kind of fall into him, the momentum goes through him (hard to explain)

only really messed about with it with my friend though we tried different variations etc.
i view it as more of a trick than anything else

Back