Story/Pic - BJJ saved my life

Great thread. I lost 65lbs in a year and a half (though I've put back on 10lbs in the last year. I tell myself it's muscle.)

I just don't have any pictures that really show how gross I was at 285lbs.

Interesting that he thanks his instructors but neglects to mention the guy that gave him his diet plan *sulks in the corner*

yeh thats true, i never thought of that though.

if you do bjj and have a shit diet you can stay fat.

VFF for the win (original pic)

The other guy 1) congrat on weight loss 2) appears you upgraded women as well, unless original also changed herself, either way congrats 3) no we just gotta get you sto stop drinking shitty beer. Most guys quit bud light after they turn 21 and can buy something that does not suck.

I think the entire country (the states) need to step up the fitness level. We are a fucking fat place. BJJ, wrestling, etc somehting needs to be heavily incorporated/req'd in schools starting young. more options and cost effective options for adults. i et the guys who lost the weight not only feel/look better but saved $ on clothes, food, insurance, etc. Gotta love that heathy living.

Nice to see this posted up here, Josh and I train BJJ and mma together. Great to see him losing the weight and making a big lifestyle change. I went through a similar thing last year, came back to training after 2 years without doing martial arts. I was up at 95kgs and in horrible shape; in July of this year I competed at <65kgs, getting back to martial arts was what drove me to get healthy and lose the flab.

Interesting that he thanks his instructors but neglects to mention the guy that gave him his diet plan *sulks in the corner*

From 95 to <65kg. Holy shit dude... That's alot. :eek:

From 95 to <65kg. Holy shit dude... That's alot. :eek:

30kgs or 66lbs, not bad, but then again Josh has now lost over 100lbs; we've discussed where he sees himself competing in the future and he can realisitcally hit mid 80kgs, that's another 15kgs or so, losing 130lbs or so total. Now that's a lot!

This shit is what I'm talking about ..... Fuck that tv show, biggest loser, they lose weight so fast and they starve themselves that its so unhealthy and a lot of them gain their weight back.

Atleast in BJJ it becomes a lifestyle..... so its not hard to keep the weight off!!!!

from 180 to 160.... not crazy but its still because of BJJ

Great thread! This is the reason I just went and joined Team Quest! I'm at about 250lbs and I can not take it anymore. I have always wanted to train MMA and what a better reason than to get in great shape and meet some great people.

before jiujitsu (250lbs)
n34409367_33101250_8873.jpg

3 years later around 170
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

resized

Last edited:
This shit is what I'm talking about ..... Fuck that tv show, biggest loser, they lose weight so fast and they starve themselves that its so unhealthy and a lot of them gain their weight back.

Atleast in BJJ it becomes a lifestyle..... so its not hard to keep the weight off!!!!

from 180 to 160.... not crazy but its still because of BJJ

This is the key. People who go on diets eventually go off their diets and go back to their old habits. BJJ is a new way of life, so as long as you stick with it and don't actually eat more than you did before, you're going to lose weight and keep it off.

Thanks for the good comments guys

and the up'd my game comments, hilarious! I knew when I posted that someone was going to make that comment hahaha.

And yes diet had a lot to do with it. But I never would have decided to change my diet if it wasn't for BJJ. besides the I need to loose weight so I can be better there is also a ton of inspiration from seeing how healthy your teammates are and how they live.

Also Thanks to sherdog. I live on the grappling forum and the diet and sup forum. learning jiujitsu's ways and learning how to eat right.

This is the key. People who go on diets eventually go off their diets and go back to their old habits. BJJ is a new way of life, so as long as you stick with it and don't actually eat more than you did before, you're going to lose weight and keep it off.

I've been on my "diet" (live-it) for about 4-5 months now.

I had to lose weight for a lot of reasons, but the important ones are my wife and daughters.

Being able to go to the amusement park and be able to fit on the rides was a breath of fresh air.

I've been fighting this last 7 pounds of my halfway point goal for 2 months now. Normally I'd have given up a month ago but I havent this time. I'm proud of myself so far and I will throw myself a little party or something when I finally break that halfway point (buy a new gi, perhaps).

But I'm really getting into BJJ, and my daughter (7) took her first class yesterday. The intructor said he'd prefer to get her into a Gi and away from the other kids her age because she's more mature and already has some skills (we kickbox together all the time on the bag).

I was smiling ear to ear - when they were warming up and just doing some general self defense stuff and punching etc to get it out of the kids system he said "come on Sarah, let's see what you've got - do two punches and that kick I showed you"

She takes a regular boxing stance, hands in the right position and throws a jab/cross and then a "front kick" as he called it - breathing with each strike. He asks her what she did and she says "I put my guard up, did a jab then a cross and then a thip kick"

He's one of my instructors too, but he just looks over at me with that "hell yeah" kind of look.

Couldn't have been more proud, I don't want her developing the same bad habits I did at a young age that led to me getting fat.

Before BJJ

mefat.jpg

God this picture is awful i gotta take that off my FB

After BJJ, lost around 80lbs body fat roughly from 26% to 14% little over a years time
menotsofat.jpg

is that the same girl that is in the first pic? looks like she lost weight too!

before jiujitsu (250lbs)

Dude! Your staring at a guys ass while he's bending over? Picture should have been posted on the thread where a bunch of homophobes where bitching about rolling with gay dudes.

Imagine the caption "Man I'd like to tap that, er... make him tap"

before jiujitsu (250lbs)

Dude! Your staring at a guys ass while he's bending over? Picture should have been posted on the thread where a bunch of homophobes where bitching about rolling with gay dudes.

Imagine the caption "Man I'd like to tap that, er... make him tap"

BJJ can save your life and save you from gayness.

Seriously though, awesome stories guys. These are the benefits from martial arts that we never really talk about.

Last edited:
Kick ass! Congrats to everyone! I'm on the other side of things. If I don't eat enough calories and lift weights I lose too much muscle and weight. The grass is always greener on the other side...

Very cool.

BJJ consisted of a lifestyle change for me. As soon as I got involved I decided to start caring more about what I ate, incorporating lifting, etc. I used to be pretty skinny but now I am less skinny!

would post pics but its less impressive than losing that kind of weight for sure!

is that the same girl that is in the first pic? looks like she lost weight too!

haha no different girl.

congrats to the rest of the guys on this thread too.

Should make this a sticky so when guys come on here debating if they should join or think they need to be in shape to start training. don't know about the rest of the guys but I went in the gym as I was in the first picture

Back