Story/Pic - BJJ saved my life

J Sho

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Not my life i hasten to add, but Meerkatsu has an article on his blog about how BJJ changed this guy's life, he has lost 100lbs so far.

MEERKATSU: Jiu-Jitsu Saved My Life: Josh Palmer

41028_423560236241_516961241_5097635_7083065_n.jpg

Stories like these really highlight the benefits of BJJ.

Ultimately, most of us probably aren't going to have to triangle choke anyone to death in real life. And if we ever do, hopefully only one or two times in our entire life.

But being healthy (physically and mentally) is something real that you use every single day. I know of several guys where BJJ has, literally, saved their lives. They would have died soon without BJJ.

I'm just proud to have played a small part in turning their lives around. It does mean a lot to me.

Last night a Bj saved my life

will post pics later

I agree with Balto. That's an awesome story! I also started BJJ to lose weight. Several of my students have also made large, healthy changes in their bodies and lifestyles due to the training and self-confidence they gain from jiu-jitsu. That's why we train it, after all: self-improvement!

Grappling/jiu jitsu changed my life, physically, mentally and professionally

Me at 255
n703078170_172666_28.jpg

Me at 200, doing some beach yoga (yoga rules, f**k you haters)
38989_418908823170_703078170_4870309_6488121_n.jpg

Being healthy, and the mental peace that jiu jitsu(and yoga, honestly) has given me has allowed me to confront difficult aspects of my life, and work through them. I'm 45, and I'm stronger and better conditioned than I've ever been in my life.Thanks to Jimmy Cerra, my teacher, and thanks to Jigaro Kano and Helio Gracie, two men to whom I owe my current life, seriously, no exaggeration.

I have a friend who joined our academy, hes down 60 pounds and his overall life is a lot better. I could go into details, but you all know the drill (drinking, partying, getting in trouble, etc..). Watching this happen to people who come in and stick with is the most rewarding part of bjj. I just hope one day he makes team garcia :)

BJJ has really helped me a lot too. A few years ago I fractured my back playing Rugby and for a long time I was completely sedentary didn't do anything but drink and eat. I was 240 lbs at my heaviest. I started to diet and got down to around 220 doing just that. About a year ago I decided I needed to be more active again and took up BJJ because I knew how great of a workout it was and also because I knew it would be a lot of fun. Now I weigh just under 180 feel and look great. Hell I even just got back from a first date with a beautiful girl who seemed to be very impressed that I did BJJ :D

Ive only been training a short while but I already see improvements in my confidence and self esteem

BJJ has really helped me a lot too. A few years ago I fractured my back playing Rugby and for a long time I was completely sedentary didn't do anything but drink and eat. I was 240 lbs at my heaviest. I started to diet and got down to around 220 doing just that. About a year ago I decided I needed to be more active again and took up BJJ because I knew how great of a workout it was and also because I knew it would be a lot of fun. Now I weigh just under 180 feel and look great. Hell I even just got back from a first date with a beautiful girl who seemed to be very impressed that I did BJJ :D

Thats cool. Seems like a keeper if she's impressed with your addiction to BJJ!

It probably wouldn't hurt me to lose a couple or 60 pounds. I'm really interested in bjj, but there aren't any bjj schools in my area. Hearing stuff like this makes me wanna get off my ass when I go back to college.

I believe hillarys friend (yes that hillary) was overweight and then seemed to lose the weight and when she asked him how he did it he said "bjj", n then she went n checked this "bjj" thing out and we all know the rest!!!!

This was very inspirational for me in my situation. I appreciate you posting this. I have been on a diet for the past 3 days & have been exercising for the past 4 days. This is the longest that I've lasted in the past 1 year. I told my friend that I plan on starting BJJ when I get down to 300lbs & I will just keep dieting & exercising until I get down to that weight.

This is what changed my out look on things...

I am a fan of this thread. Cool stories...

Jiu jitsu is a good life...

It probably wouldn't hurt me to lose a couple or 60 pounds. I'm really interested in bjj, but there aren't any bjj schools in my area. Hearing stuff like this makes me wanna get off my ass when I go back to college.
You could always start training wrestling or judo?

This was very inspirational for me in my situation. I appreciate you posting this. I have been on a diet for the past 3 days & have been exercising for the past 4 days. This is the longest that I've lasted in the past 1 year. I told my friend that I plan on starting BJJ when I get down to 300lbs & I will just keep dieting & exercising until I get down to that weight.

You still havent started training yet?!?!?!?!

DUDE! Just listen to me - stop everything else, man up, and just START TRAINING. You will not regret it. The only thing that will get you in shape for bjj is bjj.

Just do it man, and don't worry about anything else. 300 is a great goal, but theres no reason to keep putting off training. You said you would start months ago. Lets go already!

The only reason I am ragging on you for this is because you already demonstrated such a passion for the sport, its time to take it to the next level already :)

You still havent started training yet?!?!?!?!

DUDE! Just listen to me - stop everything else, man up, and just START TRAINING. You will not regret it. The only thing that will get you in shape for bjj is bjj.

Just do it man, and don't worry about anything else. 300 is a great goal, but theres no reason to keep putting off training. You said you would start months ago. Lets go already!

The only reason I am ragging on you for this is because you already demonstrated such a passion for the sport, its time to take it to the next level already :)

Thanks for the reply. Well, I just kept putting it off & putting it off until last week when I developed a purple mark between my eyes about an inch above my eye line. It was about the size of a nickle. I can take a picture & post it, if you would like. I went to the doctor's & he said that it was bleeding under the skin but didn't seem to worry about it, he was more worried about my blood pressure & said that the mark will go away in less then 1 week.

My dad went to our family doctor & showed him the picture of the mark on my head & told him what the doctor told me. Our family doctor told my dad that that is a very popular spot for that to happen & it could have very well be caused by high blood pressure. I continued to get the fast food eating out of my system & on Tuesday I started exercising by walking 2 miles per day. Wednesday, I started the diet & have been walking & dieting for the past 3 days & today is day 4. I'm actually about to go walk in a little bit.

My highest weight was 398 & right before I started this, I was 392. Not sure where I'm at right now, I'm trying to only weigh myself, 1 time per week so I'll put an update on this thread on Wednesday morning.

My friend that trains also walks with me on all the days that he can. Not this coming week but the week after, I'm going to start walking 3 miles per day. It's official that I am really trying to get in shape now.

Being healthy, and the mental peace that jiu jitsu(and yoga, honestly) has given me has allowed me to confront difficult aspects of my life, and work through them. I'm 45, and I'm stronger and better conditioned than I've ever been in my life.Thanks to Jimmy Cerra, my teacher, and thanks to Jigaro Kano and Helio Gracie, two men to whom I owe my current life, seriously, no exaggeration.

I got into martial arts after a brain tumor/aneurysm scare and they said I should get my weight under control. I started with diet change first an MA about 2 months later.

I've lost about 40-45 pounds so far.

10 more and I'm under 300, 50 more to my first real 'goal'

I just started BJJ (for real - not the nonsense I was doing where we never actually grappled but they called it bjj) last Sunday and like it a lot, just gonna 'roll' with it for a while.

I finally met Jimmy last Sunday too since he was there when I came for class, if I can get someone to take my shift tuesday I'll be there for the no gi class Jimmy's teaching.

Before BJJ

mefat.jpg

God this picture is awful i gotta take that off my FB

After BJJ, lost around 80lbs body fat roughly from 26% to 14% little over a years time
menotsofat.jpg

Back