Stores you miss walking around in, or, the retail nostalgia thread

We had a jumbo video which had free popcorn. Cool thread ts. God i miss the beta max section to laugh at people.

I do miss going to Toys R Us, they just always had a huge selection of stuff and even as an adult I love window shopping.

You can actually find a lot of Toys R Us and Tower Records in Japan; it almost seems like every Aeon mall in the country has a Tower Records in it because of how physical media still persists in their music industry.

Video stores, in general, arcades (video games) in the 80s and 90s were the place to be.

I feel like with the covid movie theatres might go this way (I hope not as going to a movie is a fun experience that (most times) does not involve getting loaded and forgetting your night).

I miss
Video Stores
Video Game Arcades
Borders Book Store
A local magazine shop called Y not magazines
Tower Records which from what I understand
is coming back as a online store.

Hopefully it comes back as a brick and mortar
store as well.

Kmart
Radio Shack
Local Adult video stores
TGIF Restaurant
Tony Roma's

arcades, like back in the SFII or TMNT arcade game days
mainly b/c the machines were so much better than whatever home console people had, plus the whole environment

I miss Boll Weevil, this rando local San Diego hamburger chain that is gone.

Kay-Bee-Toys in the mall back in the day. So much good shit packed into such a small space. It was like awesomeness overload.
Ha i worked at kay bee for like 2 days a long ass time ago. First day was boring. The 2nd day i worked a loading shift at night and we all got wasted as hell. Bottle of jack and a thurstbuster. Woke up and never went back.

Tower and Virgin Records.

Toys r Us - not for me but spent a lot of time with my kids in our local one and a lot of time shopping for them for Christmas and Birthdays.

Our local video shop. Not a Blockbuster but an Indie. Used meet my girl off the train , walk down there and choose a couple of videos for the weekend. Good Times.

Woolworths as stated by another Brit

Tower and Virgin Records.

Toys r Us - not for me but spent a lot of time with my kids in our local one and a lot of time shopping for them for Christmas and Birthdays.

Our local video shop. Not a Blockbuster but an Indie. Used meet my girl off the train , walk down there and choose a couple of videos for the weekend. Good Times.

Woolworths as stated by another Brit
On a G.I. Joe podcast recently, there was mention of maybe a Woolworth's comeback to US of A.

Suncoast video, Independent record stores.
Yeah. Bought a ton of vinyl in one in NYC in December, it's fun. Now I have to do it online. I can quite happily spend an hour if it's big enough. Forbidden Planet the same.

I only really like Hot Topic, kitchen type shops and vintage sort of places apart from that.

Video stores, in general, arcades (video games) in the 80s and 90s were the place to be.

I feel like with the covid movie theatres might go this way (I hope not as going to a movie is a fun experience that (most times) does not involve getting loaded and forgetting your night).
Haha 9/10 I'm asleep before the trailers finish in a cinema.

Awesome thread, makes me miss looking at the toys in Toys R’Us when i was younger. Used to enjoy collecting Ninja Turtles toys.

Going through a blockbuster and seeing what video games they have to rent, that used to be fun.

Tower Records, I loved going there and buying albums. Then when they closed I started going to Streetlight Records and Rasputin Music.

59_full.jpg

This local bookshop, owners had exellent taste and I probably have 20-30 photography/art books from them on my shelves.

.and not so local in Kathmandu which was great for out of print landscape photography books until it burnt down, had to give away some clothes both times I was in nepal to fit what I bought in my luggage.

Day-58-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back