1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Stores you miss walking around in, or, the retail nostalgia thread

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TapSnapBreak, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Grappling_With_My_Gnomies Staying Real In A World Full Of Bluffs Platinum Member

Blockbuster - That was a fun night going through the new release wall, and finding something. It's tough to explain, but it's not the same anymore with a digital service

Toys R Us - This one is just recently gone, and walking in there would transport you back to being a kid. A selection of fun you just couldn't find anywhere else. What a shame

Funcoland - So much better than Gamestop. Bunch of nostalgia. So much FUN. Then it became a used game dealership shack.

Radio Shack - I used to do a lot of small electronic repairs when I was younger. I knew Radio Shack died when they started selling cell phones and employees didn't know what a 9V Battery Snap was.

What about you

dije1, ModernMatt, Valhoven and 3 others like this.
  2. mb23100 Steel Belt

Kay-Bee-Toys in the mall back in the day. So much good shit packed into such a small space. It was like awesomeness overload.

3. HARRISON_3 Steel Belt

Not a store, per se but
    [​IMG]

4. Big Burly Purple Belt

Locally in Oklahoma we had Otasco, which was a tire and car repair place until Christmas time, then it became a toy wonderland! Long out-of-business.

I spent a lot of time in St. Louis as a child, and compared to my small-town in Oklahoma, it had amazing places to shop for toys. Gran'pa Pidgeons had all kinds of stuff, from guitars to toys to whatever. They had a place called Children's Palace, which was a lot like Toys-R-Us.

I enjoyed eating at Harrigan's in OKC. They had cheese rolls that they made on-site that were super tasty. I learned about smoked prime rib there. Good eatin'!

Uncle J and Kiyashin like this.
  5. snowbro Purple Belt

We had a store called San Francisco. It sold whoopee cushions and funny posters and shit.

Reyesnuthugr likes this.
  6. newjerseynick Platinum Werewolf Belt Platinum Member

Suncoast video, Independent record stores.

7. newjerseynick Platinum Werewolf Belt Platinum Member

Did it smell like piss and have junkies sleeping outside of it?

8. Damo321 Blue Belt

9. Kiyashin Green Belt

Used to love Mac's, 7-Elevens and other corner stores back in the day. Back when I was a kid there were 5 cent candies and chewing gums, a pinball or arcade game that rotated every so often, comic books in the magazine rack since this was before Diamond took over distribution. Best times were in summer where it's hot out then you go in with the AC, get a slurpee, play and cool down before heading out again.

Uncle J likes this.
  10. usfbrah Chronic gambler

Jack and Jill adult store. They closed it down because of the pandemic

11. Brother Numsi Black Belt

Same here

I'd get off work on Friday and go to the Blockbuster that was not too far from my job and rent some movies to watch for the weekend

I miss Toys R Us too. I remember the one in our mall used to have N64 before it came out and there would be crowds of people standing around playing Mario World. They had to start putting a limit on how long you could play the demo because fools would start fighting over the game LOL

12. GSP_37 Titanium Belt

I didn't appreciate Toys R Us enough until too late. I really wish I could browse their Marvel, Star Wars, G.I. Joe, DBZ sections.

Walmart and Target are often full of empty pegs/shelves.

From kid days, I miss the grocery stores that also carried all sorts of other stuff similar to Target but more grocery heavy. That's where I bought many G.I. Joes and Transformers.

Brother Numsi likes this.
  13. Kingz Gold Belt

Definetly Blockbuster/Hollywood video and Tower Records

I actually miss that

dije1 and Spounman like this.
  14. StoneColdSteveAustin Silver Belt

Big Rods dildo emporium and empanadas always brought me great childhood memories.

15. aerius Silver Belt

Suspect Video. Back when I was a teen this was the only place in town to rent little known cult movies, foreign films, and all kinds of hard to find movies & shows. These days you can easily find "Black Mask" or "Master of the Flying Guillotine" on the 'net, back in my teens it was either Suspect Video or some shady stall in the Asian markets.

Sam The Record Man. Absolutely freakin' massive selection of music, and one of the few places where I could find Scandinavian metal albums 20-25 years ago. I was rarely able to walk out of the store without several new CDs.

Brack Electronics. This was a high end audio shop I often visited when I was in the area. The staff were always encouraging me to listen to all the cool stuff that came in even though they knew I couldn't afford anything more than their entry level CD players. Got exposed to lots of cool gear, but I think more importantly, a lot of great music as well.

Kiyashin likes this.
  16. Grappling_With_My_Gnomies Staying Real In A World Full Of Bluffs Platinum Member

I used to take dates to Spencer's just to see how they'd react to seeing dildos and stuff. Gave me a pretty good idea of if I was going to score or not lol

revoltub and dije1 like this.
  17. milliniar Who needs a belt?

Victoria's secret, frederick's of Hollywood

TapSnapBreak likes this.
  18. HUGHPHUG ALL CAPS YO

Channel 5 video back in the 80's, it was pretty much home to me.
    Any video shop would do, if I was away with my folks in another town and spotted a video shop I'd be straight in, checking out the horror section, reading the backs of the covers. Really miss video shops

Tone C likes this.
  19. HUGHPHUG ALL CAPS YO

Blue Note record store in Amsterdam, I hope its still there but I haven't been for a few years.

The basement level of Charters bookstore in Dublin

Hoax, skate wear shop in my home town

TapSnapBreak likes this.
  20. jimbob27 Ken Shamrock Belt

Woolworths. It was a chain of british department stores that had the same atmosphere as the thrift store in Napoleon Dynamite. It's most fondly remembered for the huge pick and mix candy section which practically every customer would casually steal from when walking past.

Tone C and raty tat tat like this.