Stopping work outs.

Sarumyan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Another weird question.

I have been pretty much addicted to the gym for the last 2 years, and have working out for 1-3 hours every day ( MMA/Rugby/Basketball/Kettlebells/Dragonboat). Even when I was a kid or teenager I played Judo and did cross country skiing, a lot.

The problem is that my current schedule just doesn't allow me such a lifestyle and I feel a burn out due to poor diet for the last 3 years ( I gained 80 pounds ).

I am currently loosing weight and have 40 lbs to go. Would it be ok for me to just adopt a healthy low calorie diet and reduce training to 1-3 times per week and still get ripped? I will be staying active during the day.

Or is my body to wired for extensive training and I need to make time for work outs to lose weight?

you gained 80 pounds while working out 1-3 hours a day?

yep, I ate a lot. I had some personal drama and to be honest eating cheesecakes and pizzas was my way of dealing with depression.

Although it started with an ankle injury, and a girlfriend that cooked well ).

Consume less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. Bodies dont really get wired to an expected amount of exercise. After you recover from your last workout(1-2 days), its pretty much back to base energy consumption.

The biggest effect will be that your body will use less calories the more weight you lose. Losing muscle, due to inactivity, may lower your BMR a little faster, but BMR calculations usually don't take lean weight into account, because the difference is small.

Keep the muscles active that you want to hold onto the most. 1-3 workouts should be enough to keep you from just becoming skinny. If it's enough to be ripped depends on how much you train for strength.

Do what ever makes you the happiest.

If that means not working out anymore to focus on your current schedule, then do that.

If it's lowering your calories and training 3x/week, then do that.

I know it's nice to have goals about getting shredded or getting stronger, but the first goal should always be to have fun in what ever you do and the rest will take care of itself.

Another weird question.

I have been pretty much addicted to the gym for the last 2 years, and have working out for 1-3 hours every day ( MMA/Rugby/Basketball/Kettlebells/Dragonboat). Even when I was a kid or teenager I played Judo and did cross country skiing, a lot.

The problem is that my current schedule just doesn't allow me such a lifestyle and I feel a burn out due to poor diet for the last 3 years ( I gained 80 pounds ).

I am currently loosing weight and have 40 lbs to go. Would it be ok for me to just adopt a healthy low calorie diet and reduce training to 1-3 times per week and still get ripped? I will be staying active during the day.

Or is my body to wired for extensive training and I need to make time for work outs to lose weight?

The bold part is your problem. "Getting ripped" requires (this is my new favorite media buzzword, and fuck you SEO bitches) exogenous hormone manipulation. Focus on getting healthy and leading a healthy lifestyle. Eat clean whole foods. Work out as often as you can without making working out the problem.

Back